Our Felonious Ex-President

It’s very good, thank you!

1 Like

Good! Glad to hear it!

The quintessential example is:

I shall drown; no one will save me!
I will drown; no one shall save me!

The first indicates someone who is worried for their life in the near future, the second someone who is quite intent on committing suicide.

4 Likes

To me, the 1st indicates someone who believes they have an obligation to drown, the 2nd indicates someone who expects to drown, and probably doesn’t want to.

P.S. I missed the 2nd shall.

So the 1st indicates someone who believes they have an obligation to drown, the 2nd indicates someone who expects to drown, while other people have an obligation not to save them. Perhaps because it would be too dangerous.

2 Likes

This is a classic example of how to use shall and will, because it means something different when used about oneself than about others.

I will = determination to do something in future
I shall = also future, but not due to ‘my’ volition

they will = future, may or may not indication volition
they shall = future, indicates outside reason for what will happen (not their volition)

5 Likes
3 Likes

This is a classic example of how to use shall and will, because it means something different when used about oneself than about others.

… Maybe in some British dialects??? I don’t know.

The American usage I’ve picked up is have for certain past forms, will for future, shall for obligation. I’d prefer to use have for future, will for choice, and shall for obligation, but I guess that ship already sailed.

1 Like
2 Likes

I can sort of comprehend why men would follow T****. But women? I mean, REALLY! Then again, I don’t comprehend truly how humans can be so readily (and willingly) duped:

4 Likes

But he was such a healthy shade of orange!

4 Likes

I’m so not surprised.

2 Likes

“Mitch is a dour, sullen, and unsmiling political hack,” said Mr Trump, “and if Republican Senators are going to stay with him, they will not win again.”

3 Likes

That would probably be scarier coming from someone who hadn’t lost the popular vote twice, been impeached twice, lost over 60 lawsuits plus appeals attempting to reverse a loss, lost access to most social media platforms…

4 Likes

When I was coming of age as a journalist, it was an article of faith — and political science — that female Republican politicians subdued their party’s excesses. It was a measurable phenomenon, even: Republican women voted to the left of their male counterparts in Congress.

But as the G.O.P. began to radicalize, becoming not just a small-government party but an anti-government party — a government delegitimization party — this taming effect ceased to be. Moderates of both sexes cleared out of the building. A new swarm of firebrands rushed in. Not only did female Republican elected officials become every bit as conservative as their male counterparts; they began, in some cases, to personify the party’s most outlandish tendencies.

4 Likes

4 Likes

It beats the alternative, though.

August 30, 1966, Page 43

2 Likes
2 Likes

Thanks, GOP propaganda outlet. And now, for a view from actual reality:

5 Likes
1 Like

Sure dude. Meanwhile McConnell got pretty much everything he wanted in his quest to destroy voting and majority rule.

3 Likes