Our Felonious Ex-President

Jesus Christ Superstar, eh? About par for the course with the insurrectionists so far…

Wait… Judas was a hero???

4 Likes

According to the Gnostic texts, Jesus told Judas he had to turn him into the Romans because that was a part of the plan to get Jesus where he was supposed to be.

Who knows?

3 Likes

This is true, but it’s not the story usually told… and I’m pretty sure the plot of Jesus Christ Superstar has Judas taking his own initiative to sell Jesus out.

3 Likes

The best presentation of the Judas as hero idea is in Jorge Luis Borges’ Three Versions of Judas. It’s not long, so if you can find it, read the original and not only my ham-handed recap:

The general idea is that Judas’ actions (including sacrificing his immortal soul) were necessary to make sure that the crucifixion of Jesus actually took place, allowing for the redemption of humanity to be possible. Jesus suffered, but is not currently in hell the way Judas is, therefor Judas is the redeemer.

4 Likes

A lot of those substitutionary theories get very disturbing very fast. “So if everyone does the right thing there, everyone goes to Gehenna?”

3 Likes

I was raised outside any faith tradition (apart from some choice words from my father about the bad actions of the Catholic church in his upbringing and in history) so the deeper theological implications kind of fly right past me. I’m just a huge fan of Borges.

2 Likes

My dad read about religion because I think he was traumatized somehow by it as a kid. I mean, he looked forward to argui…er, talking with Jehovah’s Witnesses, okay?

Plus, belief systems are as interesting as heck, so I think that was a part of it for him, too.

3 Likes

Beeks is an actor.
The star of “Jesus Christ Superstar” is arguably Judas. At a certain point, he’s just promoting the show, using the standard PR narrative that is used to promote all such productions.

Here’s a bunch of “sacrilegious” PR from Tim Minchin.

"If you are going to create a musical out of it and you want me to play God, then good. As it turns out, of course, Jesus Christ Superstar is an atheist musical, it is utterly godless.

"It places Judas at the centre of it and all he is trying to do is keep this mission on task, helping the poor and downtrodden while Jesus is getting wrapped up in this messianic bulls—.

"There is no God in Jesus Christ Superstar. Who comes back from the dead? It’s not Jesus, it’s Judas who comes back and sings a satirical rock song. "

At which point, Minchin pauses for breath, then says: “I can talk, can’t I?”

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/tim-minchin-muses-on-his-role-as-judas-iscariot-in-the-sold-out-musical-production-of-jesus-christ-superstar/news-story/a77ecd7045dc85ef574865b43225c797

1 Like

I have this book somewhere. On the dedication page, I think, he says something about forgiving everyone but Andrew Lloyd Webber, because of what he did to the story of His Son.

Catchy songs, though, sorry YHWH.

1 Like

Also, apparently, nearly a Sovereign Citizen type…

3 Likes
5 Likes

They’re really trying to drag things out.

6 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like

When are these high profile asshats getting jail terms?

1 Like

It’s unlikely that a lawyer is going to be given a jail term for bringing a case for a client, since that could open up all sorts of really bad outcomes for everyone.

They can be further punished in terms of licensing/bar membership, however. Having a court specifically call them out as abusing the legal process can definitely get the ball rolling on that.

3 Likes

Steven Donziger?

4 Likes

I did say unlikely, not impossible… but in that particular case, it’s not bringing the case, it’s the alleged RICO violations. Which makes it doubly unusual, since:

In the case of the Kraken lawyers, the only thing there’s really been evidence for is that they are absolutely horrible lawyers who brought horrible cases based on horrible evidence, supporting horrible people (currently, this could of course change but these people haven’t exactly shown evidence of being criminal masterminds so far). Which isn’t the sort of thing that will typically end with a jail sentence.

Personally, I’m much more interested in the clients reaping consequences like jail time than the clown lawyers. Extracting money from the lawyers and removing their ability to practice may not feel fully satisfying, but it would go a long way in my book.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone shouldn’t believe that exactly as it is written.

4 Likes
2 Likes