Our Felonious Ex-President

Kim’s in talks with S. Korea – I don’t think he cares about the US anymore, except in one respect: Trump makes Kim, the hereditary dictator of a famously repressive regime, look good.

Kim didn’t need to actually meet Trump. He just needs to seem open to meeting Trump. It keeps his name in the news on a positive light. Meanwhile, Trump just acting like Trump keeps his international currency going down.

7 Likes

Perfect example of the proper use of the phrase “bless their little hearts” (at the end of the article):

6 Likes
Death toll in Puerto Rico now around 450-That’s not a typo-450. With disease & no infrastructure it’ll be thousands.

And so here we are, like sickening clockwork.

We’re getting pretty good at seeing things coming. It’s heartbreaking that making unforeseen tragedies a thing of the past has meant nothing more than replacing them with fully predictable, slow-motion disasters.

11 Likes

I try not to get wrapped up in getting inflamed about every stupid thing Trump does,
but this upset me so much.

Happy Memorial Day? Really? If my son or daughter or husband or wife or father or mother had died in war, how cruel. And then to use the occasion to talk about the economy. Tasteless and thoughtless.

9 Likes

On Sunday our whole family went here, left flowers on some random graves, and had a nice picnic. Made us realize how little Trump matters, and hopefully he’ll be a forgotten footnote in history.

FYI, the site really looks like this, all the time-- it has been immaculately maintained by the French for all these years.

13 Likes

Is this Flanders field, where poppies blow between the crosses, row on row?

4 Likes

No, the Flanders fields are right near where we live. We visit there often. This is the Normandy American Cemetery in Colleville-sur-Mer, France. My uncle Mark is buried here. He survived D-Day on Omaha Beach only to get killed three days later near Carentan. It’s kind of becoming a family tradition to visit here around US Memorial Day.

If there’s an afterlife, I like to think of him looking down on us, as Americans living in a free Belgium in a unified Europe, and some of us speak German because we want to, not because we have to.

15 Likes
8 Likes

It’s the Democrats’ fault. Stephen Miller told me so.

3 Likes

In this case, it kinda is.

Almost nothing in Trumpist America is actually new. It’s just louder and more obvious now.

11 Likes

Also from the article:

Last month, Attorney General Jeff Sessions ordered federal prosecutors to criminally charge 100 percent of immigrants entering the country illegally, expanding a program known as Operation Streamline, a zero-tolerance approach introduced in 2005 credited with creating the practice of mass trials.

So it’s kind of Obama’s fault, but mostly Bush’s for starting it. I think Obama could have and should have done more to walk back the excesses of the Bush Years. But that’s the inherent problem of any state: you’re unlikely to see a state shrink powers, particularly a state like the US that values conservatism of practice so highly.

6 Likes

So… uh… any thoughts on the monarchy memo?

3 Likes

Is this what you’re referring to:

Very Nixonesque. Not to mention:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2018/06/03/giuliani-says-trump-probably-has-the-constitutional-power-to-pardon-himself/?utm_term=.0cc8cc33dcb5

8 Likes

That second one sounds more like something the Vatican would claim about the Pope – not the president of a popular democracy.

8 Likes

We’re not really a popular democracy at all, these days!

(both senses of the term)

8 Likes

I am very sorry to feel I have to agree with you. May better times come again soon.

5 Likes
6 Likes

Spoiler: He dropped the invitation because they didn’t want to go.

8 Likes

4 Likes

It’s really bizarre to claim that an elected official has the power to pardon himself. No, that’s not how it works.

7 Likes