Our Felonious Ex-President

I don’t think I’d want to use any of those latter systems. Too much to remember. Using the same symbols as letters can be confusing. Look at the problem with l and 1. Typewriters used to not even have a 1; you had to use the l.

I like our system, especially having a zero. And scientific notation – is that even possible in any of the Hebrew et al. systems?

3 Likes

Yes, you need a special symbol for 0.

The other major difference is that digits are coded for 100s, 10s, 1s, with an overscore for 100,000s, 10,000s, 1,000s. If you use an added symbol for 0, then you can recognize transpositions and deletions much more easily.

I’d suggest using apostrophes instead of overscores, so 1,000,000 = A’’ or A’'000’000. And then you could use commas for decimal values, so 100/1,000 = R00, (the letter for 100 may vary between systems-- that’s probably the weakest point.)

P.S. Some of my ancient gaming research runs into problems with Roman numerals. For example, Vellius Paterculus tried to estimate the number of Spartacist rebels killed. Brent Shaw helpfully remarks “the number in the manuscript is corrupt.” Maybe if the scribes didn’t rely on Roman numerals, the number in the manuscript might have survived. I think we can agree that Roman numerals are among the least resistant to copying errors.

3 Likes
4 Likes

STOP TEACHING OUR CHILDREN PAPIST MATHEMATICS

12 Likes

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48260165

At a press conference, the US president said Mr Orbán was “respected all over Europe” and had “kept [Hungary] safe”.

3 Likes

13 posts were merged into an existing topic: Proposed Rules for good behavior and consequences for misbehavior

1 Like

“I didn’t ask him to do that… But I think it’s a great thing that he did,” Mr Trump said. “I am so proud of our attorney general.”

3 Likes

The Trump National Doral Miami has reported a steep drop in profit since 2015, according to the Washington Post.

Since 2015 net operating income fell by 69%, the paper reported, citing Trump Organization documents.

And owners of units at Trump Tower in New York have been selling at heavy losses, Bloomberg reports.

Bloomberg News reports that apartment owners in Trump Tower, Manhattan, were selling for “brutal” losses.

Kimberly Benza, a Trump Organization representative, told BBC News: "The article is absolute garbage.

“2018 is one of the best years in the history of the property.”

4 Likes

Kinda related to Gilead Watch, but since it crosses boundaries…

10 Likes

Black, 74, was convicted of fraud and obstructing justice in 2007 and jailed for more than three years in the US.

A White House statement described him as an “entrepreneur and scholar”.

Canadian-born Black, who has British nationality, was released in 2012. Last year he published the book Donald J Trump: A President Like No Other.

5 Likes

Any bets on how long before they start breathlessly reporting on the massive number of anectdotes of “censorship” against their supporters without any investigation?

7 Likes
5 Likes

depressing as hell.

5 Likes

To me, this is the main reason the Republicans have looked the other way on Trump. They have been richly rewarded with a judiciary systej that at its highest levels will preserve the power of rich, white men.

11 Likes

1,236 Likes, 16 Comments - National Gallery of Art (@ngadc) on Instagram: ““I arrived in the USA in 1935, to San Francisco. I got the boat from China and I didn’t even speak…”

View this post on Instagram

“I arrived in the USA in 1935, to San Francisco. I got the boat from China and I didn’t even speak English. I could read a little, perhaps write a little but that was all. It was a 17-day journey and I learnt to speak English from the stewards.” At the young age of 18, Ieoh Ming Pei immigrated to the United States from Shanghai, China, to study architecture. Pei arrived via Angel Island in California, where between 1910 and 1940 millions of immigrants began their lives as Americans, many of them coming from China. Pei experienced a fair amount of discrimination in his early life in America, but he continued to feel a great sense of excitement as he designed buildings across the country. Pei gained his citizenship in 1954, when laws that had previously made Asians ineligible for citizenship were finally changed. To honor his long international career and his many contributions to architecture in America, President Reagan awarded Pei the Medal of Liberty in 1986. Today, one of Pei’s most renowned buildings, the East Building of the National Gallery of Art, stands across from the US Capitol Building on the National Mall, a testament to the many contributions immigrants made throughout American history. #impei #apahm #asianpacificamericanheritagemonth

A post shared by National Gallery of Art (@ngadc) on May 18, 2019 at 11:30am PDT

And this is the kind of person the current administration wants to keep out.

7 Likes
5 Likes

Kobach has a list of demands,

3 Likes

This is integral to the issue of talking about Trump. To some degree it’s annoying not to be able to “go there”, but I’ve gotten to more accurate and shocking and sweary things to say. Even for a cunt like Resident Rump, it’s possible to go there in a play on his terms: by calling out how much of a frontin’ thief he is, and continuing on through bigoted rapist pedophile. It’s possible to be very specific and damning and shocking without resorting to the most insulty syllable or a not very clever pune.

1 Like

US President Donald Trump has angrily lashed out at Democratic leaders’ claims he is engaged in a “cover-up”.

“I don’t do cover-ups,” the Republican president said in an unscheduled briefing from the White House.

And no one there had the guts to mention his comb-over?

6 Likes