Piercing the Veil

Lucille Ball is said to have reported picking up a Morse code radio broadcast transmitted by the Japanese in 1942 from the fillings in her teeth.

Long ago I went to a university event on campus when Sam Cooke’s hit song “Twistin’ the Night Away” just popped into my head. It’s not a song I had any attachments or associations with. Thirty seconds later I’m hearing Sam Cooke’s “Twistin’ the Night Away” through the speakers as we pass through the student union building.

6 Likes

I get deja vu all the damn time.
But its less the sense that I’ve been there before and more suddenly I’m remembering a dream.
And I have very vivid dreams, most nights, long questing adventure dreams, and usually as I fall asleep there is a feeling of “returning” to something, like watching the next episode of a TV show (sleeping is my favourite). My Deja vus are like suddenly remembering a scene from a dream, someone will do or say something and I’ll go “I dreamed this.” and I can predict what will happen for like 2 seconds (or so it feels) its never exciting, or interesting, more like someone sits down loudly and a car drives by suddenly or someone laughs, super mundane things.

I also forget that I’m reading subtitles, but that happens all the time with any subtitle movie. So much so that I’ll forget a movie wasn’t in English and have lost arguments because I just don’t remember the subtitles. I think we’re just good “readers” :wink:

9 Likes

This was the only time I’ve had this happen and it was freaky. Good film though, I highly recommend it.

6 Likes

Does anyone get déjà vu of the type where they consistently feel five weeks earlier they dreamed, sensed or predicted what was currently happening?

Or shivers down the spine when someone they don’t know and otherwise aren’t noticing passes by them?

6 Likes

me, too; but (mindful of my edits)

this is how I remember experiencing my childhood deja vus, also.

6 Likes

Whenever I’m remembering non-english cinema and animation, I hear their lines in English. The brain does a wonderful thing where it transposes the actor’s voice onto the translated subtitles. It’s possible it’s a cross-culture phenomena.

On another note, I used to experience deja vu fairly often when I was younger. A possible hypothesis is that we’re remembering events because we’re living in a time loop and the unique properties of quantum physics allows storage of information.

9 Likes

I was convinced for years “Bobino” was also broadcast in English. It wasn’t though: I was an anglophone kiddie watching francophone children’s programming afterschool.

5 Likes

I used to lucid dream a lot, and there was a period I would use my powers in the lucid dream to essentially play superhero. I don’t remember the exact details, but I was trying to save some people in a falling elevator, and Thor appeared, not as the Marvel character or literary god, but as a “real” god, with powers far beyond my lucidity in the dream – he seemed to be something from outside the dreamspace, and far, far older than anything I’d ever known. His hammer was basically built out of circuitry and buzzed with electric arcs, so it was simultaneously a weapon and a kind of alternate reality computer. He helped with the immediate situation, complimented my skills in the dream so far, and then left, saying there were other important things to attend to, but he’d keep an eye on me. Never saw him again.

I know it might not seem like much (it was just a minute in a dream) but this Thor had more presence than any dream character I’ve met before or since, on the level of the beings I’ve experienced waking from sleep paralysis, or even more so.

I consider myself a materialist and not a pagan, but for a time I was seriously considering hanging some symbol to mark & remember the event anyway – gave up when I found out that nearly all Thor-related symbols have been claimed by white supremacists :pensive: – they ruin everything and also they are bad and mean.

10 Likes

A couple of weeks ago, I lost consciousness for about 30 seconds. I had low blood sugar, and I was heating up dinner, when I slammed my funny bone. It hurt like I can’t even describe, and I got woozy and decided I better sit down.

The next thing I know I’m coming awake, feeling like I’m being pulled out of a vivid dream and confused about what happened. My partner heard me fall, and came running. I was on the floor, mouth and eyes open, (apparently, not confirmed) not breathing. He slapped me three times, softly, harder, and then really hard because he was afraid I was dead.

I gasped and tried to sit up, but I was still sick to my stomach and really confused. In the moment before I regained consciousness, I feel that I was having an experience. I don’t remember it, but I was pulled away from something, and into my body where I was sweating profusely, shaking and confused. My first thought on seeing his face was wondering when he got there, even though I had talked to him 3 minutes before.

I wish I could remember what I was experiencing before I woke up. It was either important, or random static in my brain meat from losing consciousness. I’m not sure I’m in a position to tell the difference, which pretty much sums up my views on everything non-concrete (god, death, the supernatural, the veil and everything beyond it.)

I don’t know what happened, not really, but it scared the shit out of him, and now he asks me multiple times a day “are you still alive over there?”

Yep, still alive and watching my blood sugar, hydration and blood pressure (low but not frighteningly so.)

11 Likes

Every single book on runes and Asatru I own (and I own three on runes alone) spends a considerable number of pages talking about how not only did the Nazis co-opt the symbols, but they got them completely wrong. The letter shapes used in runes come from Africa, for starters.

I’m quiet about it because I don’t want to get confused with those fascist assholes, but on the other hand I think there’s some positive reclamation work to be done, the way the gay community has with some terms (like “gay” itself). If we let the bad guys define all the terms, may as well hand them the whole language. No fucking way I’m going to do that.

8 Likes

If it’s not prohibitively expensive to do so, you might want to go get an MRI, just to be on the safe side. I’m not a doctor and I’m only speaking from personal experience but many years ago I tripped and fell and I swear that I only banged my knee but I woke up a couple of minutes later after having lost consciousness with my friends telling me I had had several fits in the intervening time.

Fast forward a few years and I had an MRI for an unrelated head injury. They found a blood clot in my brain but said that the chances are that it had been there for a while. I didn’t have any further symptoms that time round and the only thing I can think of that would have caused it was the fitting from my previous fall.

There’s not much they can do about it but the advice I got was that if I felt sick, got dizzy, fainted or had an episode of vertigo in the next few weeks, I should come back to see them urgently. I know you said that the faint happened a couple of weeks ago but please be on the lookout for any of those symptoms for a couple of weeks yet…

9 Likes

My brother used to dream every night about what was going to happen the next day at school.

5 Likes

All my life, streetlights go out around me. Now, sometimes, they come on, but many in parking lots are now equipped with motion sensors, so I don’t know what to make of it.

What I do know, and it’s not supernatural, is that I take screen-printing off keyboards and beverage containers. No ghosts for me. Some lucid dreaming, but it’s still never anything real. Oddest thing right now is that stupid/dangerous crap does not happen in front of my car if my dash cam is recording. Happened again Saturday - came inches from having my car totaled, and likely Mr. Kidd injured, by an SUV that was t-boned in front of us - the dash cam was not recording.

5 Likes

Yes, I destroy keyboards. My current one has no a,s or e and the n is on the way out. The a has a hole worn in it. It’s not just screen printing. It’s been diagnosed; a genetic liver malfunction, fortunately not serious, that causes me to exude a slightly corrosive chemical. I can also decompose nylon clothes at contact points. This is my super-power, or rather sub-power.
This is also one reason I don’t buy expensive laptops.

Edit -
I consider myself 100% scientific rationalist. If it breaks the laws of thermodynamics or the conservation laws, or implies superluminal messaging, I don’t believe it.
When I was about 16 I was staying with my grandparents on an island in the Thames when I had a dream in which the class bully came off his bicycle in front of me and was lying in a heap on the ground. Then an unknown person appeared and said that he would only be gone a short while.
On Monday I discovered that the class bully was absent from school. It eventually came out that he had indeed come off his bicycle and hit his head that weekend; he had been knocked unconscious for over 20 minutes and had then had concussion. Naturally, I told nobody about my dream.
Now the thing that interested me (given that it could have been merely an unlikely coincidence) was that no laws of physics were violated. The message was not superluminal, in fact I had the dream hours after the event had happened. But I had no real-world way of knowing about it. I had not been thinking about him, in fact I had never actually seen him on a bicycle.
It’s pigeon holed under “I don’t know.”

12 Likes

Hahaha I’m your dashcam!

A large part of my job is simple tech support for my chair.
99% of the time my chair calls me in to look at something that isnt working, it works when I’m standing there. (The other 1% is him never remembering right-click vs left-click) - its somewhat hilarious. But its been consistent with every boss I’ve ever had. Machines just like me. Lightbulbs don’t, but batteries last forever! Wound watches run for days without needing winding. The copier jams for everyone else but me. And I’m the only person that doesn’t bluescreen the printer (its a “smart” printer that hates pdfs).

I’m a techno-witch! :wink:

8 Likes

Anyone got any fun Ouija board stories? Cuz y’all just reminded me of alla mine! LOL

3 Likes

Let’s see…I have q, w, z, x, y, h,u,j,n intact and the numbers. Everything else is all gone, or almost gone. Of course, now I’m wondering if I should get my liver checked. I may share this mutation with you.

I don’t know if this counts as a superpower, but I’m not capable of getting lost while driving. My head makes maps as I go and I seem to have directional sense without any astronomical references.

Also, there’s a lot of talk of deja vu here, I’m more frequently getting the Groundhog’s Day sense of definitely having done the same damned thing already. :wink:

6 Likes

My grandfather died in his bed. I was at college so I wasn’t able to attend his funeral so this upset me greatly. I was walking outside on campus at night and I said to myself, “This is it, he really did die.” Just then, the streetlight went out.

I had once attended and office party of my parents. There was a co-worker there in a wheelchair. I didn’t really talk to anyone, just ate the food. A few weeks later, an image of the co-worker popped into my head out of the blue. I wasn’t even thinking about him. Later my mom told me he had just died.

I am skepitcal and these could attributed to coincidence, but something is going on.

7 Likes

An area of intense interest to me is how people in cognitive science handle this sort of knowledge in their daily social interactions. I tend to socialize with people with the knowledge that identities, senses, and memories are quite discontinuous. It seems more accurate, but as a bedrock for personal interactions, many people really seem to hate it. I think it triggers a lot of insecurities that are deep and hard to work with.

Many seem to compartmentalize different levels of understanding of how people are, treating the discontinuities like an intellectual abstraction, while casually using rather older traditional models of self, other, and society most of the time. But for those who actually enculturated the former at a young age, the latter seems like a weird fiction to play along with, not to mention more likely to contribute to both self-serving and cultural biases.

2 Likes

I too am not capable of getting lost while driving. Like Dirk Gently, wherever I end up turns out where I ought to be. (Mind you in an island the size of ours you can never get really lost - go West you will eventually hit the coast or the M5/M6, go East you will hit the A1 or the coast, and so on.)

6 Likes