Plex Media Server

Hot on the heals of my last Blog post (about DNS Pi-Holing), I thought I’d follow up with another part of my home network infrastructure that might be useful to folks.

So: we have a substantial movie collection- dvds that have accumulated over the years. But dealing with physical media and whatnot is kind of a pain- and the kids have a remarkable ability to destroy dvds and dvd players. I wanted a better solution.

I’d been ripping those dvds to disk for years (I use Handbrake and MacDVDRipperPro to do this, but there are other options). In fact, in an effort to speed this process, I bought a stack of bare dvd drives off ebay and plugged them all into a computer so I could rip 6 discs at a time. We called it The Rippenator.

Enter: PLEX.
https://www.plex.tv/
Plex Media Server allows you to build libraries of movies, tv, music, pictures… media in general. You can make collections and playlists, too. Once you have your media on a disc, you can point Plex at a folder and say “These are all my movies” or “These are all my tv shows” or whatever. Assuming you’ve kept your file names reasonable, Plex will go index those folders and download the various bits it needs (movie posters, trailers if you want, imdb information, etc…), and start building an interface. You can, of course, set preferences on what you want it to grab and not. TO BE CLEAR: Plex doesn’t download media itself.

Anyway, once you’ve established your libraries and whatnot, the Plex Server just sort of runs. You’ll need a computer to do this- but depending on how many users and the nature of your media (1080, 4k, h264, h.265, sd, etc etc etc), and what you’ll be playing it on (more on that in a minute…) you might not need too much of a computer.

For example: I have (right now) five users in my house, with many, many devices (5 ipads, several phones, two Roku, and god knows what else). Most of my library is h.264 encoded (larger files but less processing than h.265), and I’m using a Mac Mini from (ahem) 2009. It’s a Core2Duo @ 2Ghz with 5gb ram. It does totally fine most of the time- but if I throw a large 1080 h.265 file at it and ask it to transcode AND burn subtitles, it’ll choke. I’m currently looking at building a beefier server as my library is still growing and my users are growing, too. I’ll likely end up with a mini server of some sort running some flavor of Linux or whatever.
Further! There are versions of Plex that will run on Mac OSX, Windows, various Linux distros, and a few other things, too. Supposedly you can run a version of it on a RaspberryPi 3 B+, but that’d be woefully underpowered for me (so I’ve not investigated it further). If you’re running a NAS, you might be able to run Plex Server directly on that (but there are serious caveats there re: transcoding. Most NAS boxes have processors entirely too lightweight for that sort of work…).

As far as players/clients: Plex clients will run on nearly anything. I have a pair of FIRST GENERATION iPads that can (and do) run Plex. iPhones, Andriod, PS4, Roku, AppleTV, web… nearly anything. It’s lovely to be able to play whatever media on whatever device.
With a bit of setup, it’ll play remotely too. And if you pay a couple of dollars to unlock some features, it’ll let you plug in a IP-Enabled TV tuner and watch/record live TV as well. There are also plugins for some channels (PBS, for example) that give you direct access to their web content via the Plex interface, too.

Storage: As you might imagine, all this media can chew up space on a disk. I store mine on a Synology NAS unit, but if you’ve got the space for some drives in your existing tower, that’d work too.

In conclusion: Plex Media Server is a wildly flexible, inexpensive, and lovely way of building your own practical media server. If you build it with old leftover gear, it can be set up for basically $0 and get you started. If you have more serious needs, a modicum of research will let you figure out what you might need for nearly any use case.

[edit because I’m an insufferable dingdong that can’t remember to include a link]

11 Likes

You don’t even need a computer. My Plex server is Western Digital NAS with wireless made to run either the proprietary WD server or Plex (the Plex Web site has a list of compatible devices). I use the Android app as a remote and Chromecasting the media (you hear that, Amazon? Plex supports Chromecast!)

Bonus: Plex does now include podcast downloading and playback/management.

7 Likes

Totally- most NAS boxes have some ability to do this- so if you’re not serving big files to lots of people, it’ll likely do just fine. My Synology would totally run a Plex install.

I am, unfortunately, serving big files to more than a few people. Which explains why I’m currently looking at servers with Xeon processors and room for GPU’s.

5 Likes

My NAS is advertised as being able to stream to up to 10 devices at once, but I don’t believe it – music or photos maybe, but I doubt very much that would work for video. I don’t have the number of users you do, though. The most I’ve ever had is two devices streaming at the same time.

I really love the UI, though, and how consistent it is across devices. It’s really helped me rediscover my music collection, more than anything.

4 Likes

Did you get the WD My Cloud Pro or My Cloud Home? I had thought about doing this before Christmas and looked at the My Cloud Home, but read a lot of complaints about it having bizarre limitations, so I decided to hold off on it. The Pro looks good, but expensive.

3 Likes

I have a My Passport Wireless Pro, 2TB. I got it on sale for just over $100 CAD a few years ago.

It includes:

• 2TB hard drive (You can get 1TB - 4TB capacity)
  • support for either Plex (which I use) or WD’s own software, Twonky (never tried it)
  • a USB port for either playing media from or copying media to/from thumb drives
  • an SD card port for same
  • wireless connectivity: it can either connect to your router wirelessly, or act as its own wireless hotspot if you want to, say, bring it along so everyone in the family can watch movies and listen to music on their own devices during a train ride, or in the dead times during a vacation (The wireless password is a random alphanumeric string on a sticker on the case; I moved my sticker to the bottom of the case so I could bring it to work without worrying about people leeching onto it.)
  • a battery that’s supposed to last up to 10 hours. You can also recharge devices from it by plugging them into the USB port. It’s slow but usable.

I haven’t noticed any limitations, but then again I just use the Plex server on it and do the file management for it via samba on my laptop. It comes with a phone app, but that’s rarely useful.

5 Likes

I use MythTV similarly. It is not as easy or as sexxy as Plex or Kodi, but I’ve been using it for so long I’m just used to it. With the latest release they have an officially supported android client which runs pretty well on and Amazon Fire TV 4K, so I’ve just added two more TVs as clients for under $100, which is less than one of the NUCs that I’m using for my primary clients. Although it’s perfectly capable of playing ripped/downloaded content, it really excels at live TV and recording.

It should probably not come as a surprise that MythTV is not for everyone, which seems to be my MO, in retrospect.

4 Likes

Yeah, we seem to be finally getting to the point where these devices will just talk to each other.

At least until the next “standard” comes along.

But we may have plateaued. It’s been a while since Blu-Ray came out.

3 Likes