Possibly Unnecessary Remakes

Could be worse.

It could be like those sequels to Highlander that never got made.

…or could have starred Jar-Jar…

“There issa no spoon? Thassa o.k., meesa eat with tongue like thissa!”

…oh dear, maybe this should go in “Ohgodpleaseno Remake Ideas” instead

2 Likes

given that Neo and Trinity were dead at the end of the last movie, a conventional sequel seems unlikely

2 Likes
2 Likes

I dunno… I didn’t see the miniseries version of The Stand… but from the other King miniseries I’ve seen, especially the ones he’s had a direct hand in, I definitely can’t knee-jerk this into the “unnecessary” category.

…On the other hand, his stories really do have a bad track record when moving to either movie or TV format…

4 Likes

As opposed to…

2 Likes

Can they make it as good, while also having some actual idea of the overall story instead of getting a few seasons in and realizing “we have no idea where this was supposed to go”?

Of course, it’s also supposed to be something to bring people in to #yetanotherstreamingservice.

4 Likes

It sounds like it’s not a remake but a -quel of some sort.

They’ve had two attempts at prequels (Caprica and Blood and Chrome), so… maybe not a prequel. But the actors have all aged a decade (and the fleet were the only survivors of humanity), so a sidequel sounds impracticable, and a sequel would either be people from a technological society learning to live without tech, which wouldn’t match the BSG aesthetic (and would be very difficult to pull off without being boring), or set on our Earth in the near future as “all of this happens again”, which sounds more like a generic sci-fi plot with BSG branding.

Maybe it’s a far-past prequel (rather than more immediate prequels like the other two were), either on Kobol or on the Thirteenth Colony.

1 Like

Looks like the news that it would be some kind of spinoff came out after the article originally did. That makes more sense considering that the last reboot wasn’t that long ago, and the polarizing ending. I was still going by the original article, sorry.

2 Likes

Yeah, not naming names is probably for the best…

6 Likes

Seriously?! That movie is pretty much the definition of “cannot be improved upon.”

And the fact that they’re doing this within a year of William Goldman’s death just makes it feel extra-scummy.

6 Likes

Great movie. I’d like to see a version with an all-women cast, but I doubt that’s what they have in mind.

including an adaptation of the classic 1927 film Metropolis

and THAT hasn’t had a reboot since … 2001

Just coming here for that.

It’s not dead. It’s not even mostly dead.

They better have a compellingly original reinterpretation.

3 Likes

I don’t even think that’d be enough.

In order to pull something new out of it that isn’t in the Reiner/Goldman version, you’d pretty much have to go back to the unabridged Morganstern, and most of the dross that Goldman cut out of that, he did so for good reason (it’s a freaking slog, the original is).

2 Likes
8 Likes

There’s a musical in development. My guess is that the remake would be an adaptation of this musical.

Still a bad idea.

How did the film of the musical of the Producers do?

1 Like

Automatic comparison disqualification for both being Mel Brooks. We know with TPB few if any of the original people involved will work on the remake.

2 Likes

I’ve not read the novel–I should-- but I’m led to understand that Princess Buttercup does not have her wits about her in the novel. So while the nature of adaptation may mean that the work must be paraphrased, and any paraphrase can be contested, I’m not sure anyone is ready for a even less intelligent Buttercup.

1 Like

I have no objection to someone making exactly the film he describes (except for “some illuminating discussion between the grandfather and the boy” - those interludes were placed at moments of tension in the story, and extending them would make them intolerable). But file the serial numbers off and call it something other than The Princess Bride. Because most of the stuff he takes objection to is right from the book.

3 Likes

Ah, no. It’s just it takes her a while to figure out that when Westley says, “As you wish” he means “I love you”. That’s hardly not having one’s wits.

1 Like