Possibly untrue science news

4 Likes

Given that the half-past-breakeven is theoretical and they donā€™t have any good ideas for capturing the energy any way other than with a giant teakettle, then use that power to generate electricity to turn back into photon blasts in some more efficient way than lasersā€¦

Yep, weā€™re still fifty years away from fusion power.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Those columns earn their papers commissions from Amazon; the trick is to write them so that you donā€™t sound like a total shill. It was the electric kettleā€™s turn this week.

4 Likes

The other way is to heat it up in the microwave ā€“ which sounds gross and I assume would make the water taste weird.

Waitā€¦ what? Why would heating water in the microwave make it taste weird?

4 Likes

i donā€™t know about tasting weird, but my husband has long been amused by my insistence that tea made with hot water in the microwave just isnā€™t as good as when you boil water on the stove. i canā€™t explain it, but i really like it better when itā€™s stove-boiled.

6 Likes

Could be differences in temperature.

I wonder if it also has something to do with differences in dissolved air content due to microwave heating vs. convection on the stove?

3 Likes

Personally, I go for the electric kettle since it turns off when it reaches a boil. I absolutely murdered a metal kettle on a stove from being a space cadet. In a microwave, I never know how long to get it go to get hot enough.

And, Iā€™m afraid of overheating the water and injuring myself.

6 Likes

i really have no idea. all i can say is that tea made with microwaved water tastesā€¦ flatterā€¦ somehow to me.

2 Likes

Everything from a microwave tastes flatter.

2 Likes

well, i donā€™t notice it with food in general, but i definitely notice it with water in tea.

2 Likes

I agree. Itā€™s not as good for some reason but I do not know the physics behind that.

3 Likes

Iā€™m lucky I guess. Everywhere Iā€™ve lived, we had hot water on tap, so never had any need for a kettle. You might have to run the water for a minute or so for the hot to work its way up from the water heater, but no big deal.

Frankly the whole idea of having an entire separate additional appliance just to heat water up for tea sounds ridiculous.

As for microwaving stuff tasting weird, if youā€™ve ever really botched microwaving soup youā€™ve seen how it splatters all over inside and makes a mess. Whatā€™s not as obvious is that everytime you microwave anything there are micro-splatters that stick in there. You could clean your microwave or, like the cast-iron pan fans, just call it seasoning and say it adds flavor.

2 Likes

We occasionally microwave our catā€™s meals for around ten seconds ā€“ sheā€™s 20 and it seems to help her want to eat. Then we once absently set it for two minutes, which is what we use for tea. The cat food splattered everywhere. The microwave smelled like cat food for two months.

5 Likes

Includes some images that were new to me.

5 Likes

. . . baby

7 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

But they take a special course in college just to learn how to write that way!

2 Likes

some things we read in this topic may not be true

3 Likes