Possibly untrue science news

(It’s somewhat older than typical science news, and certainly a lot longer, but it’s a cool video, IMHO)

I didn’t know about Thorne Żytkow Objects before watching this.

1 Like

Migraine warning!

1 Like
3 Likes

Not herpes, per se, but viruses that get in the brain, go dormant and, in theory cause an immune response that cause amyloid plaques. Herpes has been in speculation for a while but the new stuff suggests that it’s more general than that.

7 Likes
7 Likes

Sexism, is there anything this shitty belief can’t make worse?

5 Likes

What gets me are the articles found which make fun of sufferers – and the medical journals they were found in. Like, what the everloving fuck? These people are in medical distress, for whatever reason, and your reaction is to make fun of them???

Yeah, they might have the self-diagnosis wrong. No shit. They’re patients.

The medical establishment needs to decide if they want the population to keep themselves informed and partner with them, or keep ourselves absolutely ignorant and let them decide everything. They don’t get it both ways.

8 Likes
2 Likes

Training robots to interact with human beings by putting their brains in a first-person shooter?

Of course.

I saw Westworld — why is this even a surprise.

6 Likes

Here’s an interesting site. Wasn’t sure whether to put here or in Canuck news…

1 Like
7 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
12 Likes

Now I’m slightly annoyed at my late cat that she never got very parasite-ridden to pass this on to me

11 Likes

So this is how cat cafes got started.

8 Likes

Cryptid Profile: De Loys’s Ape

2 Likes
9 Likes
6 Likes

Currently, perhaps. There have been plenty of others. Science is dispassionate, giving results based on observations, tentatively fitted together by theory. Scientists are human, and subject to emotions, ambitions, possibly questionable ethics, etc. Alvarez sounds like a real ass, and Keller may be just be in defensive combative mode (geologist friends, one a woman, have said that sexism in geology is possibly worse than any other field of science). They each believe their theories with passion. Maybe too much.

Insert “why_not_both.gif.” I can’t imagine how a huge asteroid strike could happen without grave results for the earth and its inhabitants; given the worldwide existence of the iridium seems to show it had global effects. Perhaps the Deccan Traps volcanoes were already killing off species when the Chicxulub asteroid hit, a not impossible coincidence. Or perhaps the asteroid helped them along. Perhaps a fusion of the two theories (possibly a third?) will come along.

5 Likes