Possibly untrue science news

Dogs absolutely understand the concept of naming. One of the first things they learn is their own name.

4 Likes
2 Likes

meh

4 Likes
4 Likes

I see it. I’m impressed. And yet it still seems like a joke.

2 Likes

I wonder why they didn’t show us a takeoff, and skipped the critical bit of the landing :thinking:

4 Likes

Because it must look super awkward and sketch. Did I miss the joke again?

3 Likes

I dunno, I think the wide flat car body needs to be very carefully contoured to deal with any flare-out weirdness, e.g., a tendency to pitch up like a LeMans car catching air.

2 Likes

Ever wonder, scientifically speaking, just how full of crap a person can possibly be?

(Roughly 4 gallons, it turns out.)

2 Likes

Well, you can’t expect it to do everything; you just need another plane to bring it to release altitude.

2 Likes

To me it kind of looks like James Bond’s submarine Lotus, but with bigger wings.

2 Likes

they might get some mileage out of it as a “lifting body,” like those fighters that can technically still fly with a wing blown off

4 Likes

Yeeeeaaaahh
 but it’s at the wrong end of the vehicle. Ish.

Vortex chines at the nose are often used, but the way that thing is shaped it’s like pushing a shovel. And so little ground clearance, the transition to and from ground effect is going to risk huge roll and pitch wobbles.

Dunno. Maybe it’s fine, but the missing footage should make the VC cash suspicious. Not that they’d notice.

3 Likes

CERN to change name for 70th Anniversary

The acronym CERN was borne from an intergovernmental meeting of UNESCO in Paris in December 1951. This is when the first resolution concerning the establishment of a European Council for Nuclear Research (in French Conseil EuropĂ©en pour la Recherche NuclĂ©aire, or CERN) was adopted. Two months later, an agreement was signed establishing the provisional Council – and the name “CERN” stuck. However, today, our understanding of matter goes much deeper than the nucleus, and “CERN” is now widely viewed across the scientific community as an outdated and exclusionary name.

“The word “nuclear” doesn’t really reflect the full breadth of scientific research we do here,” says Noah Lott, Head of Rebranding at the Organization. “Network of Experiments for Research and Development in Society indicates the range of particle physics, computing, engineering and technology research that takes place at the Laboratory, as well as its impact on society.”

Belated April Fools, courtesy of CERN. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

I’m glad I didn’t look at the website first. It gives the joke away the second you look at it. They are really smart scientists but they sure don’t get how a joke is suppose to work (like the quote you gave).

3 Likes

The link summarizer gave away the game waaaay too early. :wink:

2 Likes
4 Likes

a female littermate

:rofl:

Hmmm :thinking:

1 Like