Possibly untrue science news

4 Likes

Seems to me size ≠ intelligence.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Before the mouse data, numerous reports have noted carnivores falling ill with H5N1 after eating infected wild birds. And a study from March in the journal Emerging Infectious Diseases reported that over half of the 24 or so cats on an H5N1-infected dairy farm in Texas died after drinking raw milk from the sick cows.

Still, raw milk enthusiasts have disregarded the concerns. PBS NewsHour reported last week that since March 25, when the H5N1 outbreak in US dairy cows was announced, weekly sales of raw cow’s milk have ticked up 21 percent, to as much as 65 percent compared with the same periods a year ago, according to data shared by market research firm NielsenIQ.

6 Likes
6 Likes

I wonder what minimum humidity is needed for this to work. Reminds me of swamp coolers that do the opposite – evaporate water for cooling, but only in dry areas.

3 Likes

BTW I find this funny. Is it common? I suppose it refers to the owner.

4 Likes

… maybe it should say “eXcrete” now :thinking:

4 Likes

Xcrete would be more like a brand. Hey, we should trademark it before Elon does.

2 Likes

The video is fascinating. But this reminds me more of a Chinese finger trap than origami.

2 Likes

Largely proven science news.

4 Likes

That common source is not an issue in our case, but what ended up helping was placing scratching posts very close to the bit of carpet that was being aggressively removed.

We still have one (out of four) bedposts that seems to be a preferred source of kindling. But the scratching posts helped.

3 Likes

One of our two new kittens likes to sharpen his claws on the wrought iron railing posts. That’s a first.

The two scratch just about every vertical surface in the house. How are we supposed to put a scratching post everywhere??? We try putting them on a post but they go “huh?”

5 Likes

Our upstairs is a converted attic and all wood, except the carpeted floor. There are several spots where cats have tried to destroy the house, I have no idea how we can fix that kind of thing. The only thing that has worked is to stack up objects in front of the tempting surface.

2 Likes

Obviously doesn’t work in every case, but we used some combination cat hammock/scratching post things to give them a place to hang out, and a bit of catnip sprinkled on help reinforce that those were good places to be.

Also, they often have a routine… ours like to scratch shortly after doing their business, so having the scratching surface in the area they’ll travel through afterwards gives a redirect.

If all else fails, there are the little rubber covers you can use on the claws to blunt them? They are a bit of a hassle to upkeep, though.

1 Like

They do it everywhere. At least that means that no one thing gets shredded extensively.

3 Likes

That one bedpost I mentioned isn’t quite that bad, but not too far behind. :wink:

2 Likes

Relatedly:

Legal experts said the Oregon case is one of the first focused on public health costs related to high temperatures during a specific occurrence of the “heat dome effect.” Most of the other lawsuits seek damages more generally from such ongoing climate-related impacts as sea level rise, increased precipitation, intensifying extreme weather events, and flooding.

Pat Parenteau, professor of law emeritus at Vermont Law and Graduate School, said that zeroing in on the heat and the heat dome effect are elements that might make the Multnomah case easier to prove.

“When it comes to the extreme heat events that affected Portland, the scientists concluded, in looking at that event and then looking at historical records of heat waves in the Pacific Northwest, it would not have happened, but for human-caused climate change,” Parenteau said.

“That’s actually the first time I’ve ever seen climate scientists state a conclusion like that in such absolute terms,” he added.

8 Likes
5 Likes