Possibly untrue science news

I meant Pluto. I was using a confusing shorthand here, I guess, because that is a real object. But it is not what they were searching for, a planet X thought to be responsible for perturbations of Uranus’s orbit. Looking out into the distance, relatively bright Pluto was in about the expected place so hailed as the predicted planet.

But early on it was doubtful if it were really massive enough for that, though still overestimated by an order of magnitude; apparently Kuiper thought it would be big enough to clear his eponymous belt. The perturbing mass turns out not to exist, and now we know Pluto is small enough to be the first of many objects there.

I was also misremembering my older history. Neptune was predicted based on Uranus, but Uranus itself seems to have been discovered with no such expectation. So really, we are one for three.

6 Likes
3 Likes

The experiment was ended early when it was discovered that Pauly Shore was also inside.

11 Likes

I put this here because I’m fascinated by the way it’s gotten possible to simulate such complex materials in a computer. When I was in school, etc., etc. I don’t know if the physics being modeled is realistic, but it sure looks cool.

5 Likes

Ouch.

7 Likes

Reminds me of “The Ooh-Ahh bird is so named because it lays square eggs.”

6 Likes
8 Likes

We’ll start to find out on Monday when the new robot lands.

5 Likes

“What we are thinking of doing is a TV show with the working title ‘The Radical Wellness Show.’ I would be going into the field and talking to any number of doctors, scientists, civilians, people in crisis in Flint, Michigan, where there is something to uncover and confront about wellness,” she explained.

6 Likes

This would be funny if it weren’t so terrible.

8 Likes

The only Goop I trust.

9 Likes

Well, I’m sure it’s just as good at cleaning out someone’s privates as some of the suggestions Paltrow has pushed. :wink:

12 Likes

What’s happening in Flint is a wellness issue.

Right. Mhm. Sure.

9 Likes

9 Likes

It’s going to be interesting to see if she can really pull off the ignored-laughed-at-winning! phrase, or if the Dunning-Kruger moments finally sink her.

In a way, I get it. Wouldn’t it just be better if people resolved political dilemmas by analyzing for wellness above all else, so long as you answer the questions like whose wellness and who are you leaving out?

It’s possible to speak to that level in a way that opens up real questions.

4 Likes

The pumice really scours your colon, for that clean, down to the submucosa feeling.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, put out that way and it’s totally sensible. So long as the answer doesn’t include things like “insert a jade egg in your vagina” or “buy a $2,000 kitchen stand mixer”, that would be a great approach.

6 Likes

The trainwreck will be entertaining and public…

3 Likes

“these mindfulness breathing exercises will protect you from lead poisoning”

9 Likes

Not new, but interesting:

https://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2011/04/25/sumerian-sivathere-figurine

2 Likes