Possibly untrue science news

Archeologists are still debating the significance of the inscription that read kree jaffa.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s a video of volcanologists talking about the lava flows in the residential areas on the Big Island of Hawaii. Thereā€™s a possibility of explosive eruptions from Halemaumau (a small crater within the larger caldera of Kilauea itself). The first 20 minutes explain whatā€™s going on.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s a live feed from fissure 17 or 18. The sound is awesome.

1 Like

I was there a few years back, and what I remember most about Kilauea and the surrounding area was:

1. The caldera was huge
  2. Some of the areas with flows were clearly GINORMOUS flows at one point, and
  3. There were literally highways built on top of some of those flows.

I left with the distinct impression that if the mountain got grumpy, us puny humans were in for a lot of trouble.

7 Likes
2 Likes

We visited Kilauea when I was a kid, and it made a BIG impression, you can imagine. Nowadays video cameras are everywhere and we can see it right after (or as) it happened.

I must say, though, I always thought it was a rather benign beast. But when it covers your car, you canā€™t just dig it out like with snow. And I never thought it was capable of the kind of explosive eruptions talked about in the conference video ā€“ though those would be of a less catastrophic form than that of a stratovolcano like Mount Saint Helens. Unless youā€™re hit by a boulder.

3 Likes

What the actual fuck is this about???

ETA: well, screw YouTube. Here is a list of videos you can watch, if youā€™re interested. Some arenā€™t live.

4 Likes

New Blackhole discovered, and itā€™s growing fast! Is Earth in danger?

6 Likes

Yep. My job.

When I was in a manic state two years ago, I talked with many people at work (that was my mistake - being manic around the people at work - the people who were not at work actually listened and helped me start a business) and as I spelled out the premise of people who loved something working together on creative projects - like a film producer who love scouting + a boy scout leader who has an idea for a film but doesnā€™t know how to make one + crew of people who all dig scouting - every single person would stop me and say, ā€œCan we do it for free?ā€ And it was just bizarre to me how many people asked it. It was such a lesson that people crave meaning and enjoy work. This is actually how my company is starting up, and I never would have had the thought to ask people to help me on spec if I hadnā€™t heard this question from people.

I have not had a job in 30 years where I have had to do more than about 10 hours of work a week to complete my projects on time. Itā€™s part of why Iā€™m so active on discussion boards.

6 Likes

The real question is, can it get here fast enoughā€¦

9 Likes

It seems to be a very, very old oneā€¦

Man, the 2020 presidential primaries for the Doomsday party are getting crowdedā€¦

10 Likes

12 billion light-years away, so weā€™re seeing it as it was 12 billion years ago. I wonder if itā€™s swallowed the entire galaxy (and itā€™s neighbors) by now.

6 Likes

I guess weā€™ll find out in 12 billion years.

5 Likes

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/05/15/scientists-believe-alien-life-may-exist-in-other-universes-after-discovering-mysterious-force.html

1 Like
6 Likes

That article actually cites this journal:

Screen%20Shot%2056

4 Likes

Lead in the atmosphere is a proxy for silver mining. Silver mining is supposed to be a proxy for economic outputā€¦

But Iā€™m not convinced it is one.

Silver mining was mostly limited by the discovery and exhaustion of silver mines. I donā€™t think demand for new coins had much effect, and anyway, they gradually used more lead to debase the coins.

P.S. I think agricultural intensity is a better proxy for economic output. Soil erosion is a rough proxy of agricultural intensity. So if you can date the deposition of silt, core samples from the ocean floor beyond the Tiber, and beyond major rivers of the Roman world, could measure this.

3 Likes

paywalled, unfortunately

2 Likes
6 Likes

Great! Maybe theyā€™ll get some toy submarine and wood putty DNA!

3 Likes