Privileged class hoards bilingual education resources

I’m thinking of starting a thread for myself (a la Wander Thread, and Marja’s Thesis) as sort of a place to dump the utterly conventional links I like. But in the meantime, here’s one in, yes, the utterly conventional Atlantic.

But—and here’s the rub—if a two-way dual-immersion program helps generate middle-class interest in multilingualism, that dynamic could also undermine the program’s design and effectiveness. What happens when rising demand from privileged families starts pushing English learners out of these programs? Advocates for educational equity are already seeing this specific problem play out in their communities.

“Opportunity hoarding [is] happening everywhere,” said Courtney Everts Mykytyn, the founder of Integrated Schools, an organization encouraging white parents to choose to integrate their area schools. She was referring to a phenomenon in which wealthy families wield their influence to secure access to educational resources in ways that crowd out traditionally underserved families. This has sparked the development of “one-way” dual-immersion programs, which also provide students with instruction in two languages but enroll mostly—or entirely—English-dominant children. When a two-way dual-immersion program gentrifies into a one-way program, Mykytyn said, “we’re not talking about integration, we’re talking about what other special programs your white kid can get, your privileged kid can get.”

grrr…

5 Likes

not surprised, the rich always look for ways to gain more more more!!!

Eat the rich…

6 Likes

As someone who lives where French immersion schools are a thing (and part of the public system), this does not surprise me.

People with money can afford the extra cost to send their kid to a school 10 km further away. They can afford the extra cost to source materials to supplement second language learning better than poorer students. They can afford resources to ensure that first language skills don’t wither (grammar, vocab etc) when the second language is spoken most of the day. The idea of making it part of the public system was to make it available to all. But systems are easier to rig, the more resources you have. Consequently, they are.

8 Likes