Programming

Scalable, you say?

Hmm. I wonder if one could implement FOAADDOS?

9 Likes

You mean a consistent application of people telling Farage to fuck off…? With milkshakes…

6 Likes

Put it that way, and it’s strange there isn’t a phone game for it yet.

5 Likes

'Shakemon Go :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

After years of fascists claiming stuff like Halo, and after the Gators made that “punch Anita Sarkeesian” game, it would only be fair play.

5 Likes

You will note that an establishment in the glorious town of Perth (Scotland) was offering free milkshakes in time for the arrival of Boris Johnson and Jeremy Rhymes-with-Hunt yesterday…

7 Likes

Can I integrate this with MS Teams?

6 Likes

You mean you don’t already get a strong “fuck off” vibe every time you use Teams? :wink:

7 Likes

13 Likes

One more funny one for today

9 Likes

Where’s my USB to 240 V adapter?

6 Likes

With my USB to PS/2 to Serial to Parallel to SCSI to IDE to SATA to USB adapter.

6 Likes

Actually, my previous doctor would use google right in front of me, for technical things like looking up interactions between a drug some other doctor had prescribed and the rest of what I was on. If you’re an expert I think you can weed out the chaff. /metaphor_mix

8 Likes

I have a similar power supply with different branding

6 Likes

8 Likes

Which is the real, if possibly unintended, point of the original graphic (funny as it was): Googling stuff online does not make you a programmer, either.1

Of course programmers (and their ilk) look up stuff online all the time. That’s just part of the job, and I like the sentiment behind publicly acknowledging that. It lets new folks know that just because you have to look stuff up, it doesn’t mean you’re not a “real” programmer (for whatever definition of “real”). But it’s a mistake to assume the converse; there’s definitely more to being a programmer that just googling stuff online, and I think that’s sometimes the unintended takeaway from what are meant to be messages of encouragement.

1. please note that I am in no way trying to equate programmers with doctors; I’m pretty sure it takes a fair bit more time and effort to become a good doctor than it does to become a good programmer.

9 Likes

When I tell people I didn’t go to school to learn programming, nobody bats an eye.

I don’t think a doctor would get the same reaction.

9 Likes

For my cohort, we learned the stuff with library books and text files on offline computers well before Google existed. But to figure out how to apply it to the latest framework-of-the-week, that’s where Google really comes in handy.

7 Likes

I wonder . . . Physicians have made quite a culture of godhood about themselves, whether they deserve it or not. But they used to be apprenticed just like most professions in past centuries. Sometimes I think the whole aura is contrived just to keep their salaries up.

As a system, is a biological system more complex than a computer/network/software system? It’s certainly got a LOT of spaghetti code–and no comments or documentation.

5 Likes

Sorry…thought I had one but it was my RJ45-240V adapter

9 Likes