Proposed Rules for good behavior and consequences for misbehavior

I dunno, I just haven’t seen the kind of behavior here that would warrant keeping the edit history visible to all and sundry. It would probably be different if we were all, like, 12-year-olds or something. As it is, I’d rather not live in a forum that encourages us to be paranoid of each other, sifting through edit histories looking to datamine something to support our he-said-she-saids. I fully approve of having mods able to view those histories in the uncommon event that something like this becomes an issue. Pretty soon it’ll become obvious what behaviors are too irritating to the community to be tolerated.

6 Likes

Yes

4 Likes

And how do you do that?

1 Like

I’ll roll you a customized version, based on the theme you currently use - you can’t currently see it because it uses a custom glyph instead of (a much saner) svg icon.

2 Likes

I’ll need more time.

3 Likes

I’m not using a custom theme, but I’m reading all text in Andika. I used to use OpenDyslexic, but Andika has much better cross-script support.

1 Like

Noted.

I’ll ping you when I have the font-neutral(ish) version up.

4 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

I see that on desktop but I’m not seeing it on mobile

3 Likes

On mobile, it gets covered up by the avatar of the person you’re replying to.

5 Likes

How meta!

5 Likes

I wonder what it is you’re REALLY talking about.

I’m probably first, or at least on the short list, of people here who post references to religious bloggers, articles, quotes, etc. I have never seen any pushback about that.

There are lots of commonalities between the various religions and philosophies in the world, and many unique ideas worth considering. I have never found such discussion to be a problem here.

Proselytizing, on the other hand, doesn’t go over well.

It would help to get an exact example of what you’re talking about. Preferably more than one, since there are always going to be disagreements once or twice over time between any two posters. If this is an ongoing problem, then let’s see some examples.

5 Likes

Worst. Poem. Ever.

2 Likes

Will fix this afternoon.

6 Likes

Much appreciated, thanks.

3 Likes

Daily since Tuesday I’ve read the Guidelines to ensure my contributions are at least civil and topical, and respectful if they fail at topical (i.e. responding to someone’s tangential comment).

Are the guidelines referred to under review? Did they change? Is there a tiered system of what guidelines apply to whom, like in trust level differences or Discourse privilege levels?

5 Likes

No change. Haven’t the time to. I doubt we’ll get a chance to look at moderation in depth until next year.

6 Likes

Floating this up for views

5 Likes

If someone has a problem with a post, can we try to PM the author first before publicly calling the person out.

8 Likes

I think it’s better to talk about these things in the open, where we can ask whether certain posts are problems, and why, without making it about the posters.

Most of the private messages I’ve had here have been helpful, but some elsewhere have been abusive, part of harassment campaigns mocking my cynophobia and then sending me dogpics, saying I should get hit by a car, saying I should kill myself, etc.

So I really don’t want to send anyone a private message criticizing their posts.

7 Likes