Puzzling Evidence

The most likely apocalypse would be one of our own making, which means we definitely do not deserve to survive. Let the eusocial insects give it a whirl as the planet’s dominant species, they might do better than us. It would be hard to do worse, short of nuking every inch of dirt.

6 Likes

If the earth exploded, I’d expect slime-molds might just go right on doing their thing. They’re particularly odd little beings, fascinating things where the more you learn about them the less you know about them.

Also there was a story about a family/community of sentient slime molds in an episode of Twilight Zone magazine sometime in the late 1980s, but I’ve never been able to find any mention of it anywhere. Maybe it was Omni, but I’m pretty sure it was Twilight Zone. Either way, I can’t remember any details of the story, but it left a lasting impression on my 10-12 year old brain.

5 Likes

It occured to me when I was watching the video that humans are/were using them to clean and scrub things. Considering all the fatal abuses humans have heaped upon various members of the animal kingdom, this one just seems super-cruel. I know they’re probably not sapient, but do the feel pain and if so, how do they express it?

(sheezus pleezus, i got toooo much spare time)

3 Likes

5 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

4 Likes
3 Likes

4 Likes

6 Likes

I actually like their lime-flavored product - nice carbonation and flavor, and far better health-wise than a lot of other carbonated drinks. And the can size is less wasteful than normal sodas cans, too. I don’t have it extremely often, but it’s nice occasionally. The marketing is a bit over-the-top, and I’ve almost been carded a couple of times by cashiers who thought it was alcohol.

For just plain sparkling water, though… well, might still be less wasteful than glass bottles?

4 Likes

Less wasteful than plastic too.
You were carded??? Well chase my Aunt Nellie up a gum tree. I wouldn’t have guessed.

3 Likes

Nearly. So far they’ve always seen my confusion and taken a couple of double-takes at the box to realize it’s just water.

The cans can confuse co-workers, too. Could make for a fun conversation with HR. “Yes, I’m drinking… oh, wait, you mean drinking…”

3 Likes

Which tastes better, Liquid Death or Liquid Paper? :thinking:

2 Likes

LOL!

???

ETA: Did you switch to the Liquid Death topic mid paragraph?

1 Like

Cake. Oh, wait, different joke.

1 Like

I occasionally smoked these when I was a teenager:

They weren’t really good or anything, but the pack made a statement when someone asked to bum a cigarette from you.

4 Likes

Gaseous Death?

3 Likes

Untitled

3 Likes