Python To Purge Offensive Terms, TechBros Bro-test

As always, the comment section is full of reasonable, well articulated objections, blatantly offensive brotesting and “SJW” bashing.

If a word is offensive and you choose to ckntinue to uae it, you’re an asshat.

15 Likes

Literally everyone I fucking know has made this change voluntarily. And GvR has been such an advocate for women in python, I don’t know how these idiots didn’t see the writing on the wall.

9 Likes

What? Everyone didn’t join in and sing Kumbaya?

I’m glad I don’t work with any Techbros. There was one wannabe, but he was shown the door a while back.

I’m steeling myself for them in a couple of weeks though at the tech conference I’m going to.

9 Likes

In some BDSM contexts, the words might not be offensive at all, but in tech discussion/ writing or a work context (unless you work somewhere unusually interesting that combines those niches), it just makes sense to make the change to something more descriptive. It’s a trivial change and anyone who can figure out replication can figure out what ‘replica’ means in that context.

8 Likes

Is Python open source? If so the tech douche bros can fork of their own version and keep out the smelly girls.

8 Likes

Apparently it is.

3 Likes

In hardware, there is a Master-Slave D Flip Flop. I believe it is still called Master-Slave.

My mind always went more toward BDSM than slavery when I heard that term.

6 Likes

Windows switched to Primary/Scondary terminology between 2000 and XP. You cab still find switches on older drives for toggling (usually, cap shifted)

3 Likes

I was referring to this:

5 Likes

They can call it “24 Inch Pythons”

6 Likes

2.4 inch Pythons? Oh! Sorry I misread that…24 inch Pythons…got it.

6 Likes
4 Likes

showing off my lack of a CS degree here, but do master-slave algorithms correspond much to the social relationship of human masters and slaves?

Or does the evocative language obscure the subtleties?

5 Likes

For me, master/slave was just about always applied to technology and had its own separate compartment of meaning in my brain – one piece of equipment telling another piece exactly what to do. I was aware of human slavery but I don’t think I ever associated one to the other. Part of this may be because the details of US history faded from my mind pretty quickly as I got heavier and heavier into engineering (due to lack of interest and poor memory for things back in my teens). Had I been black, with exactly the same background, I wonder whether my brain would have worked differently?

I also wonder if slavery was minimized in the Virginia public schools I attended back then, where Virginia history was given Biblical importance but pretty well sanitized. At least that’s the feeling I still remember.

8 Likes

When I see it, it’s usually in terms of having multiple database servers. One is the ‘real’ system of record, that receives all of the data writes while the others try to keep in sync with it and allow the data to be read by many more systems. I don’t really view that as corresponding to human slavery. For one thing, it’s the master that receives all the commands and gives the results to the slaves. Also human slaves are not replicas of their masters. ‘Primary’ and ‘replica’ does make more sense though.

There are other uses that seem closer, but that I don’t see often. As a verb, one may slave together (connect) multiple devices so that they work together in a coordinated way and/or all can be controlled from the controls on one, or one can slave a controller to a remote device (like connecting your cellphone to a bluetooth speaker). In that case, since it is about one device taking control of others, it seems a bit closer. But I never really thought about that before. Now that I have, I think they should probably just use ‘connect’ or ‘take control’ instead.

6 Likes

The idea of the tech bro is interesting to me because I live in tech-bro-infested silicon valley (though I’m not from here). I see them every day - in fact I live next to one, and he has a bunch of them as friends who come over because he lives alone in a decent-sized house, and they play loud music late on weeknights and park like assholes.

While most people here aren’t like that, they do tend to ruin everything for everyone. There’s a remarkably clear division in the population, about 65/15 (±10-15 points depending on where specifically you sample), between stereotypically-progressive-and-laid-back-California-types, and assholes (the remaining 20% are wildcards).

It’s not at all correlated with who’s from here originally and who moved here for a tech job. Some people are apparently just assholes, including a lot of the old-school tech dudes, and the huge amounts of money you can make here just make it worse.

5 Likes