Random Silly Grins

Only on the lower edge IIRC.

7 Likes

Right where her fingers are? She’s almost grasping the damn thing. It makes my fingers twitchy.

10 Likes

Don’t watch Sweeney Todd, then. He makes a habit of holding his razors in such a way that if they swung closed, he’d be short a few fingers.

6 Likes

It’s different for reapers. Anyway, I think the scythe is more of a staff of office, rather than a working tool.

8 Likes

You reap an entire field, one straw at a time, with a scythe sharpened by daylight, that splits random air molecules when at rest, and then try to say it’s just a badge.

7 Likes

Well I guess the gravelings get the sharp sythes. Besides reapers heal fast.

3 Likes

If you don’t, you might run into a sign or something.

13 Likes

Is that a thing? Like, “sharpened by the abrasion of photons striking the edge” or more like " sharpened in the daytime when I can see what I’m doing"?

This talk reminded me of my own sickle, which I have no actual use for, but which I picked up because the name gave me a silly grin and made me think of Terry Pratchett.

11 Likes

Your sickle could use a little sharpening.

7 Likes

More than a little. Right now it’s as-purchased from the garage sale, but its function is just decorative at the moment. I may hang it on the workshop wall once I find a good blacksmith’s hammer to go with it. :wink:

The other side shows more file marks, and it’s sharp enough to cut 3/8" rope, but not at one stroke. It’s bevelled on both sides. I don’t know if that’s standard practice for sickles.

I remember reading that sickles were traditionally sharpened by peening* the edge on a small round anvil, finishing with a few strokes with a stone.

*Not what you think.

edit: Here we go.

7 Likes

I sharpen mine by starlight. That’s why the edge is an absolute mess, and so are my hands…

8 Likes

I use starlight to sharpen mine, with a magnifying glass. Takes a while though.

7 Likes

I’ve worked for an engineering company for more than 5.5 years now and I still think “shot peening” sounds painful.

9 Likes

I saw that! Of course, I noted to my husband, that we don’t really work like that! But still - there is an XKCD for literally everything at this point…

5 Likes
8 Likes

Those gingerbread person suits look like the foam suits people wear when they’re training attack dogs.

I would hope a dog trained for such tasks wouldn’t be left loose near crowds of people, but that dog did look like it was attempting to take the gingerbread people down.

9 Likes

What gender were the gingerbread person suits?

I feel so spiritually neutered now.

10 Likes

Merry (your celebration here)!

5 Likes

Not to mention sli / ces a spo / ken sentence.

3 Likes

20 Likes