Ranking Beatles

Oh, Al Bowlly. That shows you have refined tastes.
He’s not a not a singer for everbody.

3 Likes

tune in online to KEXP

2 Likes
  1. Ron
  2. Dirk
  3. Stig and
  4. Barry
7 Likes

They got profound in their later years.

6 Likes

Such a difference from their early years, though.

7 Likes

Listening to John Richards (aka John in the Morning aka John in the Morning at Night) literally saved my mental health during some rough years. He also turned me on to some of my favorite bands and is just a Good Guy. I feel good just thinking about him and I can hear his voice in my head at will.

I miss not being able to just switch on the radio in the morning and listening to him. :cry:

4 Likes

Not that I love Good Day Sunshine or anything, but to rank it lower than garbage like Good Morning, You Know My Name, or Dig a Pony is ludicrous.

3 Likes

What an awful list. Well, in any case, it’s one guy’s opinion whom I don’t agree with. “She’s Leaving Home” is one of my dad’s favorite Beatles songs, with a lovely string arrangement – to rank it as one of their worst ever is a strange choice.

3 Likes

Lovely string arrangement, right! I’ve been reading this thread, thinking “what is my favourite Beatles song, anyhow?”

Eleanor Rigby. Definitely Eleanor Rigby.

Because of the strings, because of how the title came about, because it’s a pop song by a huge pop band sympathetically about an older woman living a narrow, solitary life, so much so that she can’t even count her own parish priest as a friend, even though she does work for him.

Even as a little kid I found the imagery haunting. I remember being about six and my mum explaining the “puts on the face that she keeps by the door” line to me. “Was buried alone in the churchyard along with her name/Nobody came” was always a strong moment too. And my aunt swung it was part of a subgenre called “Bach rock”, a term I haven’t heard since.

6 Likes

It’s like A Mozart Symphony.

back to the beatles
I don’t have the entire discography-- only
"With the Beatles"
“Rubber Soul”
“Revolver”
“Sergeant Pepper”
“The White Album”

missing quite a lot, really.

6 Likes

I could almost hear them cursing the red hat, and wondering if they should have made that deal that day at the crossroads, after all.

4 Likes

Was she perhaps referring to “Bach-a-Rock?”

6 Likes

Likely not. This is the aunt who carefully translated a Dutch saying to English – “money burns a hole in your pocket” – and got quite a ways into explaining what it meant before we could convince her English had the exact same saying.

She started going to school in English when she was 5.

3 Likes

Because Prince was magical.

9 Likes

Sorry. I didn’t mean to question her language skills.
I was just trying to throw in some absurd humor. :grimacing:

1 Like

And then you found out things were even more absurd! :grinning:

9 Likes

I got interested in Prince’s disappearing guitar trick. Here’s a fun thread on it.

http://prince.org/msg/7/334625

Doesn’t this pic just NEED some fun photoshop?

1 Like

Meat the Beatles

7 Likes

When it comes to Spın̈al Tap, Gimme Some Money is peak Beatles.

7 Likes