Reasons why iOS 11 sucks

I really think they are removing anything which could possibly confuse the user, and thought “well, we all have unlimited connections, what’s the problem?”

You might think this was unlikely, but during the 1980s car manufacturers started to remove the temperature gauge, replacing it with a “cold” indicator. Why? Because research had shown that there was a significant waste of service time due to people fussing about the gauge. When a car was new, the temperature tended to be high due to friction; as friction reduced, the normal running indication dropped, and this caused people to return cars for investigation. The average cost per car was more than the cost of the gauge.
I can testify to this having worked for a company that was asked to design a gauge which had only two positions, cold and hot, and would after a few minutes of running slowly move from cold to hot. They subsequently went with removing the gauge entirely.

4 Likes

I was alive then. The ammeters disappeared too. I remember disappearing car gauges. A disturbing trend.

7 Likes

“We want information.”
“You won’t get it!”

6 Likes

Threading is still fucked in Mail.app. It was fine in iOS 9 but has been completely borked since 10.

Music.app keeps getting more bloated and harder to use.

Killing off 32 bit apps was a dick move.

Notification Center is still a complete mess.

Control Center isn’t customizable enough.

The send button in Messages.app is still to damn hard to press.

But hey, at least they finally fixed the bug where Calculator.app make those stupid sound effects even with key clicks turned off.

8 Likes

Has anyone else noticed that their devices seem to take longer to recharge than they did before? And also seem to get hotter while doing so?

4 Likes

So I had to dig out the iPad at work for testing something on iOS. It hasn’t been used much since i’d got it (the first big-ass one with a keyboard cover…how ever old that is)

So of course it won’t reset and I needed to go into recovery mode and beat it into submission.

Some where along the line I said, “Sure, upgrade to 11.0.3”

It’s different. I see why my last iPhone was a 5.

3 Likes

iOS 11 is the first operating system I have truely hated since Windoze 95.

Thanks, Apple.

6 Likes

Pretty strong stuff there.

5 Likes

You missed ME? I had to help someone using that once.

7 Likes

Yes, I missed YOU.

6 Likes

My 1977 280Z had the temperature gauge, ammeter, oil pressure guage and tachometer in addition to the speedometer. My 2010 Prius has none of the above.

I haven’t done this update. Should I just not bother until 11.0.4 arrives?

4 Likes

Thought you were joking about all the dials, then I realized you were talking about a 280Z, not a Z80! :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Not kidding even a little:
Gimme ALL THE DIALS!!!1!!!
The speedometer didn’t work in mine, I drove by the tachometer.

8 Likes

A 280Z is among my weaknesses. Fortunately I’ve never encountered one in a shape I’m willing to pay for.

I do NOT need a vehicle project.

7 Likes

All I can say is, I would go back to 10 if I could.

But what r ya gunna do?

3 Likes

Kvetch on the Internet.

That is what you can do.

And here I’m waiting to see if\when Samsung is going to patch the WPA2 vulnerability.

At least you know iOS has the patch in their Betas.

And…if we are keeping score…Windows was patched before it was publicly released.

3 Likes

I recently picked up a $180 Android, rooted it and dropped in the latest Android. Took twenty minutes and I get to decide what’s on it and how it works.

But you guys have that great iTunes thing, so yeah. That’s a choice.

5 Likes

I just can’t get excited about Android.

I still love my 5s, even though it recently got a hold of some bad stuff.

See, it doesn’t matter to me. A phone is a tool, like a hammer. I use it to make calls and things like that, I have no need to be in the Apple infrastructure so I spend a quarter as much on my hardware.

I’ve also never had any bad stuff on a phone…

As I recall, oil pressure gauges were removed because it was found that cars failed more often due to loss of oil from the gauge piping than through “ordinary” low oil pressure. When the strain gauge oil pressure gauge came in, manufacturers didn’t want the additional cost of putting them back again.

Ammeters too are a potential point of failure.

Tachometers though - I can see why a Prius wouldn’t have one, but both my Toyotas are more recent than yours and both have tachometers despite being automatics. One has auxiliary paddle shifts, the other doesn’t.

1 Like