Redoubtable Downtown Space Abbey - Players Handbook

Better check that bolter Dragoon, they always jam at the worst moment.

4 Likes

St-Patrick-Hartbrooke would fervently agree with that suggestion if you were to make it; he sees it as “buying social standing.” He might stop by Leviathan’s at some point to grouse about it.

2 Likes

While some might opine that duty is more important than concerning oneself with how to measure what the Jones’s are up to.

2 Likes

It at least kept the riff-raff out. Mostly.

(I’ll stop derailing this thread now, though)

2 Likes

Although I’d be interested to know if there is a discount for retired lieutenants in the Space Hussars should they return to service.

1 Like

And bringing the main turn thread over here for additional Q&A - As @nimelennar points out earlier:

has the gist of it, although +MIL bonuses are equivalent in either outfit… Space Hussars tend to to the majority of campaigning planetside, while the Space Dragoons primarily serve in orbit hence the improved rank options. Note that neither commission presents an obstacle to serving in either environment should the need arise.

Most certainly not! Purchasing a commission means in essence that your financial backing directly results in the support and maintenance of a body of soldiers of the appropriate size. You yourself are considered in command of that body of soldiers should they ever be called up to service.

No salary per se, but when command of the unit is relinquished under proper circumstances naturally, one will receive that invested measure back in full as a pension. In the meantime, one may look forward to all the respect and glory that such a position entails.

Also, it is worth mentioning that a lateral promotion from the Space Hussars of the Weatherbean Army to the Dragoons of the Weatherbean Space Navy is also possible if one can afford the differential. Although it may be said that the Dragoons never quite look upon an officer coming up from dirtside in quite the same way as one of their own, as one might recognize.

5 Likes

Given that Lt. Brummell managed to retire in one piece from the Charybdian Hussars, this entitles him to be reinstated at the rank of Ensign in the Weatherby Space Hussars at no immediate cost to himself. As entitites with former or current military experience, the same is true for Cmdr. Capstanturnbuckle (@pogo) and Cmdr. Piker (@fintastic) if they so choose.

5 Likes

To the best of your knowledge, no. At least not in Weatherby. At least not at the moment.

6 Likes

SPH, you mind taking this one?

Certainly, although I do wish you’d stop referring to me by that diminutive appellation. Might I remind you that there is a reason why you don’t use it in the more narrative threads; it does tend to undermine my gravitas. But then, I suppose that is exactly why you do it.

Now then, Commander. I have the highest respect for those who choose to risk their lives in military service for the good of the nation, but it is undeniably the fact that the ability to lead an army does not translate completely — and some (not myself, of course) might say, “not at all” — to the ability to govern wisely.

When I express discomfort with ‘buying social standing,’ it is not due to some vain care about who thinks I am better than them, or beneath them, or any such thing. Those are a measure of fashion, not of social standing. Regrettably, there is a certain requirement to conform to the current fashion in order to maintain said social standing, but that is not what social standing is.

What social standing is is the respect that you have earned through your actions. It is a measure of everyone else’s trust in your judgement, competence, work ethic, morality. It is, in short, a measure of your ability to fulfil a leadership role in society, should you be called upon for one.

Being able to buy one’s way into social standing is an affront to the entire idea. One needn’t be moral or ethical to obtain large amounts of money; one might even say, with apologies to my father and grandfather, both successful businessmen, that the latter precludes the former.

Perhaps having earned one’s way up the ranks should provide some measure of social standing; there is certainly some sense of duty associated with both. I do not have much in the way of a military mind, and cannot say exactly how much knowledge is transferable from the one class of leadership position to the other. However, I feel confident saying that the amount of silver one has in one’s coin purse correlates to neither skill set, and to none of the qualities one would look for in a leadership role.

Thank you, Mr. St-Patrick-Hartbrooke. Do you still feel the need to complain about all of that at Leviathan’s?

No, thank you, I think that I have removed that particular stressor from my chest (our chest?), at least for the moment.

Very well, then.

4 Likes

Some say there are men of action, and others made of words.

Now, my memory fails me, which was it of the two that seems to take flight?

And to add,

I must beg your forgiveness for not having called sooner, but it is truly heartening to see the recovery you have made. Your plumage looks healthier than the day you arrived.

6 Likes

Is a double promotion (as @pogo just ordered) allowed?

It’s to my benefit, but it seems a little unfair.

1 Like

Seriously? We’re continuing the in-character conversation in the out-of…

Be silent. Commander, it pains me to say that I cannot wrest from your words their intended meaning. If you wish to make a point, make it plainly. You are a man of action, and I can respect that, so do not soil yourself by trying to strive for victory on the field of words, a field upon which you have not been trained and are woefully unprepared to fight.

Okay, but I just want to let both of you know that, as this is an out-of-character topic, I am considering this whole conversation not to have canonically happened.

Consider what you must.

5 Likes

Bold added. Then the commission was purchased.

1 Like

Mind that it was you

who called “SPH” in to answer.

1 Like

True, I did, but mainly because it seemed that you were challenging my out-of-character description of SPH’s point of view in-character. Unless that duty crack was actually coming from you and not from your character, in which case I am genuinely confused as to which of us it was directed towards.

1 Like

A trivial difference of opinion by what routes to play the game.

So, probably 40/60 the captain/me? ¯\ (ツ)

Perhaps bringing the opinions of player characters into an out of character discussion is not the most productive use of the space.

3 Likes

Good thing this conversation is non-canonical as well, for after

The Commander should have been honor bound to twist you by the nose, and I cannot say I would be eager to lose either character in yet another haptic suit hullabaloo.

Edit: dang typso!

1 Like

He was talking to me there. Interrupted me mid-word and everything. Had he wanted Capstanturnbuckle to be silent, he wouldn’t have then asked him to speak plainly.

Although, I admit, in what he actually said to the Commander immediately after that, there were multiple other things that would probably deserve the same treatment.

2 Likes

That’s the problem with high context societies that allow dueling. People get killed over the dumbest things.

Er, pretend ol’ Lobster Head just said that.

4 Likes

Is Players Handbook the best place for this discussion? Or can it instead be split between a new topic and Leviathan’s depending on which parts are in character and which parts are out of character?

1 Like