Redoubtable Downtown Space Abbey - Players Handbook

To the best of your knowledge, no. At least not in Weatherby. At least not at the moment.

6 Likes

SPH, you mind taking this one?

Certainly, although I do wish youā€™d stop referring to me by that diminutive appellation. Might I remind you that there is a reason why you donā€™t use it in the more narrative threads; it does tend to undermine my gravitas. But then, I suppose that is exactly why you do it.

Now then, Commander. I have the highest respect for those who choose to risk their lives in military service for the good of the nation, but it is undeniably the fact that the ability to lead an army does not translate completely ā€” and some (not myself, of course) might say, ā€œnot at allā€ ā€” to the ability to govern wisely.

When I express discomfort with ā€˜buying social standing,ā€™ it is not due to some vain care about who thinks I am better than them, or beneath them, or any such thing. Those are a measure of fashion, not of social standing. Regrettably, there is a certain requirement to conform to the current fashion in order to maintain said social standing, but that is not what social standing is.

What social standing is is the respect that you have earned through your actions. It is a measure of everyone elseā€™s trust in your judgement, competence, work ethic, morality. It is, in short, a measure of your ability to fulfil a leadership role in society, should you be called upon for one.

Being able to buy oneā€™s way into social standing is an affront to the entire idea. One neednā€™t be moral or ethical to obtain large amounts of money; one might even say, with apologies to my father and grandfather, both successful businessmen, that the latter precludes the former.

Perhaps having earned oneā€™s way up the ranks should provide some measure of social standing; there is certainly some sense of duty associated with both. I do not have much in the way of a military mind, and cannot say exactly how much knowledge is transferable from the one class of leadership position to the other. However, I feel confident saying that the amount of silver one has in oneā€™s coin purse correlates to neither skill set, and to none of the qualities one would look for in a leadership role.

Thank you, Mr. St-Patrick-Hartbrooke. Do you still feel the need to complain about all of that at Leviathanā€™s?

No, thank you, I think that I have removed that particular stressor from my chest (our chest?), at least for the moment.

Very well, then.

4 Likes

Some say there are men of action, and others made of words.

Now, my memory fails me, which was it of the two that seems to take flight?

And to add,

I must beg your forgiveness for not having called sooner, but it is truly heartening to see the recovery you have made. Your plumage looks healthier than the day you arrived.

6 Likes

Is a double promotion (as @pogo just ordered) allowed?

Itā€™s to my benefit, but it seems a little unfair.

1 Like

Seriously? Weā€™re continuing the in-character conversation in the out-ofā€¦

Be silent. Commander, it pains me to say that I cannot wrest from your words their intended meaning. If you wish to make a point, make it plainly. You are a man of action, and I can respect that, so do not soil yourself by trying to strive for victory on the field of words, a field upon which you have not been trained and are woefully unprepared to fight.

Okay, but I just want to let both of you know that, as this is an out-of-character topic, I am considering this whole conversation not to have canonically happened.

Consider what you must.

5 Likes

Bold added. Then the commission was purchased.

1 Like

Mind that it was you

who called ā€œSPHā€ in to answer.

1 Like

True, I did, but mainly because it seemed that you were challenging my out-of-character description of SPHā€™s point of view in-character. Unless that duty crack was actually coming from you and not from your character, in which case I am genuinely confused as to which of us it was directed towards.

1 Like

A trivial difference of opinion by what routes to play the game.

So, probably 40/60 the captain/me? ĀÆ\ (惄)/ĀÆ

Perhaps bringing the opinions of player characters into an out of character discussion is not the most productive use of the space.

3 Likes

Good thing this conversation is non-canonical as well, for after

The Commander should have been honor bound to twist you by the nose, and I cannot say I would be eager to lose either character in yet another haptic suit hullabaloo.

Edit: dang typso!

1 Like

He was talking to me there. Interrupted me mid-word and everything. Had he wanted Capstanturnbuckle to be silent, he wouldnā€™t have then asked him to speak plainly.

Although, I admit, in what he actually said to the Commander immediately after that, there were multiple other things that would probably deserve the same treatment.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the problem with high context societies that allow dueling. People get killed over the dumbest things.

Er, pretend olā€™ Lobster Head just said that.

4 Likes

Is Players Handbook the best place for this discussion? Or can it instead be split between a new topic and Leviathanā€™s depending on which parts are in character and which parts are out of character?

1 Like

Itā€™s done as far as I can tell. Could be split off for continuity sake though I donā€™t think it warrants going to the Leviathan

2 Likes

My ā€œin-characterā€ posts are bouncing back-and-forth across the fourth wall. This should not go into Leviathanā€™s. But I wouldnā€™t object to a topic split.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s not the way itā€™s supposed to work:

The goal is to force an apology or retraction, and, in most cases, one or both parties will get talked into backing down just enough to avoid fighting. Again, thatā€™s what the role of second is for: to have two rational adults in the room to talk through a problem that the two hotheads canā€™t think logically about, and come to a conclusion that preserves everyoneā€™s honour.

But yeah, thereā€™s a reason duelling was banned; it is, in all cases, a stupid overreaction to whatever the original offense was.

3 Likes

FSH+2 and Rank+20 per 100Ā£ donated

can be interpreted 2 ways:

FSH+2 and (Rank+20 per 100Ā£ donated)

or

(FSH+2 and Rank+20) per 100Ā£ donated

I assume the latter holds: a 200 donation produces FSH+4 and Rank +40

Do I have that right?

Thanks

6 Likes

Yes, the latter is correct: Every full 100Ā£ donation generates both Rank+20 and Stat+2

4 Likes

@messana

One may certainly wish to commit oneā€™s intentions to the Public Ledger, but the advantage of a quiet move submitted off the record cannot be underestimated.

And this will still have the Rank Penalty I assume.

Also is there a chance of a private order via @Bartlebot being carried out improperly or am I just making that up. I swore I had read that some where, but probably a different game as I donā€™t see that up in Turn Submission.

4 Likes

Correct - the small rank penalty still applies. Bartlebot cannot mangle any private orders as he just passes them off to me for execution. As we have all seen, the real risk is that I wonā€™t carry them out properly, hence the recent visit from Price Watermoose Cooper. :sweat:

5 Likes