Redoubtable Downtown Space Abbey - Players Handbook

Is it safe to assume that the Noblesse Oblige options are one-time donations? That’s how I read it the first time, but the emphasis on “support” in the description made me wonder if it might be an ongoing obligation like the rent. I could see it going either way, from a role-playing standpoint.

6 Likes

Correct: they are intended to be one-time donations, although the wording in the description is ambiguous.

6 Likes

@messana

Agree, or disagree?

:grin:

7 Likes

Do the wards we are pursuing get any say in how they receive our advances or is it all based on stats?

4 Likes

[ Out of character]

The wards are under the complete control of the “masters.”

That’s how “Eighth” is being handled. I – the human behind Karekin and Eighth, had have free reign to control both characters. In case of the Governor’s Ball, the human operating Eighth (me) chose the dance partner.

I am truly sorry about the “rejection.” I would have loved to Eighth dance with Lady Farnsworth – but a deal had already been struck with other Dance partners and it was too late to re-arrange.

Of course, the “wards” have yet to be allowed any “in game” role besides narrative fodder and accepting dances.

2 Likes

AGREE

6 Likes

I will confess that in my younger years, I was on the disagree side - too much ego investment in all the effort I’d invested in preparing that murderous two-session overland adventure.

Now? Firmly on the agree side because that’s how the magic happens. :sparkler:

8 Likes

Wards are independent entities and make their own choices. The tastes and preferences for other Citizen Pretenders are modeled based on their stated Likes and Dislikes.

4 Likes

At this point, I believe I’m caught up with answering any questions about game mechanics either here in the PH or via PM. If that is a mistaken assumption, please let me know and I will get everyone those answers posthaste.

2 Likes

And because this question has stirred my memories, I want to share a post that clarified a great deal of my thinking around striking the balance between player intention and game mechanics:

The retelling of a parent introducing their child to Dungeons and Dragons is marvelous in its own right, but to me the crux of it is here:

To my mind, the difference is that there are Rules. It’s not just freeform improvisation, unlike the stories Sabrina and I make up together (what happens when Wheatley from Portal II takes over Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory, does Captain Jack Sparrow know Ariel the mermaid, what sort of house would we live in if we had a gazillion pounds and why do Daddy’s houses always have disco floors). In D&D, you can choose to TRY to do something, but whether you succeed or fail isn’t wholly up to you. It’s the living flesh of imagination wrapped around the rigid skeletal structure of system, and that, my friends, is how the magic is made.

Offered as food for thought for all. yes i’m still processing turn 6 i promise

7 Likes

Similarly:

3 Likes

On the one hand, I certainly think that railroading is a bad thing, that the GM should make a reasonable effort to accommodate the players’ reasonable requests.

On the other hand, I think the world has to be coherent, and indulging the players too much could spoil that effect.

To use the Freeport example, if you, as GM, honestly think that it would make sense that there would be ornithopters, then sure, throw out the overland adventure and accommodate them. However, if Freeport has been established as being in the middle of sandstorm territory and no one sane would be flying ornithopters anywhere near there, then you can’t be afraid to tell your players “No” either.

Plans have to be flexible (and may even, sometimes, have to be thrown out entirely), but the world must make sense at the end of it all, or nothing within that world — characters, plot, themes, etc. — will make sense, either.

5 Likes

For turn 6 results, the nature of the replies to letters are ranked thusly:

• no response (abject failure)
  • curt reply (solid failure)
  • reply in kind (modest failure)
  • pleasant reply (modest success)
  • warm reply (solid success)
  • enthusiastic reply (resounding success)
5 Likes

@messana is there anyway to get rid of problematic synergies? Can I sell off som of my printing business to get rid of it?

4 Likes

Unfortunately not as yet - the problematic synergies appear to be systemic at this time. Actions are likely to become available to diminish or mitigate problematic synergies in due time.

3 Likes

I assume that as before, accommodation moves won’t take place until after the dinner?

Are citizen guests able to attend multiple dinners? Should we coordinate with our fellow players before inviting them via the public ledger, or is that sufficient?

3 Likes

Correct: accommodation changes will take place after the dinner. Citizen guests are able to attend multiple dinners. Inviting via the public ledger is sufficient. If for some reason one wishes to turn down an invitation that has been extended, that can be done via PM to me directly.

3 Likes

Is our cashflow in Turn 8 identical to turn 7? One must be able to budget lest one exceed one’s line of credit and be forced to alternative avenues for cash.

3 Likes

The same - in fact turns 7 and 8 are probably best viewed as two halves of the same turn with turn 7 being the results of turn 6 and turn 8 being the turn options.

2 Likes

How can one be an heir if one cannot inherit?

3 Likes