Redoubtable Downtown Space Abbey - Public Ledger

somewhat unsteadily young Master Tom sways into the room

'Allo, 'allo, whass this?

Bot man- yes, yes indeed you, you wonderful windup mechanical man, I say,
put 400 on Stroppy Bottom, oh yes, I do like the name of that one,

from the corner a radio squawks to life, the voice high and piercing, barely distinguishable through the static

… ssk…Weatherby? Have I reached Weatherby? …delays worsen… unforse…
… ward…
orders have been compl…
…repeat:

Rent Spartan apartment
Invest 2 300
Buy Quill and Inkpot
Buy Fancy Monocle
Wager 25 Stroppy Bottom

7 Likes

Jean-Rhys strolls down the promenade, the scent of mint and anise hissing from her vents in small puffs and occasionally leaving momentarily stunned bystanders in her wake. The hour is late, and she has much to do, but it would be unseemly for one to rush about in public like some sort of peep-of-day boy.

She ducks into the nearest stationer’s to peruse their writing supplies. Laser engraving is quite fine and convenient for workaday book-keeping, but if she’s to succeed in this, her first social season in Weatherby, her correspondences must needs be conducted with the more personal touch conveyed by quill and ink.

A little while later, a window-display featuring the latest eye-wear snares her notice, and she enters a jeweler’s shop. Ultimately, she settles on a practical, yet stylish, monocle, the frame adorned with porpoifery-shell. It will likely be tricky to attach, considering her current cranial container, but she fancies it gives her a somewhat jaunty air without being too ostentatious.

Her confidence buoyed by this thought, she has a fit of insight and decides that a signet ring will be just the thing to give her social interactions that little extra zing! She makes the necessary design and delivery agreements with the jeweler and exits the shop feeling quite pleased with herself. Why, she may even have a special manipulator fashioned to be used as a mount for this ring; it could handle the monocle as well, if properly designed. It could actually be quite fetching, if done right. Mayhaps she could even start a third-arm trend with the gilded set… (but that’s probably just the keef talking).

Her fashion musings are interrupted when she notices a row of Mr. Boulderclaw’s odds-sheets pasted to an exterior wall. The betting window is just around the corner. Although not usually one to be distracted by such games, Banana Fritter is by all accounts a sweet-goer and, despite the odds, she’s feeling lucky. Besides, one never knows whom one might meet at the Lagoderm tracks.

But that’s enough frivolity. The rest of her funds must be allocated to her investments, and she really shouldn’t keep her broker, Mr. Frobisher, waiting any longer. She’s certain that educational institutions hold the most promise for her ambitions, and she has some rather particular requirements regarding the nature of her investments to impart to Mr. Frobisher, hence the need for an in-person meeting. Her dear alma mater, Weatherby U, would likely make a good candidate, but she will, or course, leave the details to her retainer.

BUY Quill and Inkpot
BUY Fancy Monocle
BUY Signet Ring
WAGER Banana Fritter 23
INVEST 5 376
7 Likes

So many opportunities But a family like ours hasn’t gotten to where we are by losing our focus: Sound Investing.

As always, stay close to my grandfathers three rules of investing:

1. Never make an Investment you don’t understand.
  2. Never invest money you can’t afford to lose.
  3. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

The offworld import/export business certainly has attractions. Cousin Shmuel would definitely be the one to evaluate those prospects. But the risks are considerable, and as I don’t favor a military air, best to leave this to others.

There is also the matter of Eighth. A clever one, but he needs to enhance his social algorithms, post-haste. He needs to be in town. A Spartan Apartment would be perfect, as he would eatthe upholstery in more proper surroundings. Blessedly, several have stepped forward to help with his acclimation. Taking him to the Club to be with his peers seems to going well.

For now, it’s about focus and sound investing

BUY Quill and Inkpot
INVEST 1 435

7 Likes

zzzzzt!

Everyone has made their plans for the winter season. Ama-zzzzzzing! I wonder what wonders wait in store as the season turns to spring.

sproing!

7 Likes

Orders for ‘Turn 2 - We are all go here in Weatherby!’ begin below.

[GM Note: Given time limitations on my end and the smaller player base, I’m going to forgo automation on this end. Public orders should continue to be posted in this topic, private orders should be submitted to @Bartelbot when appropriate. Order options that are best used via private submission will be clearly indicated when they are available.]

6 Likes

St-Patrick-Hartbrooke turns his head from the paper for a moment to cough into his kerchief.

This is unacceptable. It’s despicable. It’s unconscionable…

And Aaaakzeee St-Patrick-Hartbrooke III knows exactly who is responsible.

Very well, then. If that coward wants war, let there be such a war. He will burn down his enemy’s fortunes, his social standing, and his very manor around him, for daring to inflict such a pestilence upon him. In the Lord’s name, Dr. Franksenketchup (@Old) will pay for this indignity.

There could be no doubt. First, the “doctor” had requested a DNA sample for his unnatural experiments, to which there could only be one response: a polite but firm denial. Perhaps, it is true, the Taaa’keee had thrown a few too many plausibly-deniable mortal insults into the response, but they had been in proportion — exactly in proportion, he thinks — to the insult given by asking for the sample in the first place.

And now, he falls sick, not only as the Space Griffin had described in his refusal, but in such a way that would allow the doctor a chance to obtain such a sample… It is far too preposterous a set of circumstances to be coincidental.

He had felt that Franksenketchup had responded far too kindly to the insults he had levied upon him, and had been expecting a similar rejoinder, or a challenge to a duel of honour, or a test of skill, or some response he could leverage into higher social standing. However, this was not how a gentleman settled a grudge. Biological warfare was completely unacceptable.

And, to cap it all off, timing it to coincide with the arrival of the plague…

St-Patrick-Hartbrooke grows very still. No. Surely he isn’t that evil. A “Coat of arms,” though… What other abominations would the “doctor” be willing to unleash?

No. The Taaa’keee can prove nothing, and this is perhaps a leap of logic too far. So, for the moment, he will settle for avenging his personal wrong. Frakesnketchup wants war, does he? Then there will…

He breaks down into another coughing fit in the middle of his resolution. He will not meet his enemy in this condition, and give him the chance to collect his sample. So, there will be war… just as soon as this cough subsides.

Besides, St-Patrick-Hartbrooke is quite certain that Franksenketchup is out there destroying his own social standing well enough without any help. Let him build his own pyre, and Aaaakzeee will time his arrival perfectly in order to set it alight.

Resolution made, St-Patrick-Hartbrooke examines his options for investing in the next season.

He is still uninterested in investing in land; Hartbrooke Hall is home, and he needs no more soil than that.

And, while he enjoys the income from his current business endeavours, he fully acknowledges that he has no head for business, and would probably only get in the way of his business partners if he tried to find efficiencies.

However, he has heard rumours of some inventors who would require funding. His grandfather, the originator of the St-Patrick-Hartbrooke line, had been the inventor of the Self-Winding Interplanetary Mechanical Chronometer, marketed as the SWIM Watch. That invention was the basis for the St-Patrick-Hartbrooke fortune, and the Taaa’keee was sure that his grandfather, God rest his soul, would encourage invention as a worthy place to invest the money that, before it was inherited, originated from sales of the SWIM Watch.

That settled, he will, of course be attending the most fashionable party in the land. After all, there is no chance whatsoever of meeting an uncultured buffoon like his new adversary in such a setting. However, he must needs acquire an appropriate hat for such an event - the best that his funds can obtain for him. A few other accessories may not go awry, either (although not a snuffbox; a filthy habit, that is).

Totalling his expenses, he finds he has a few dollars left over, and decides, despite his previous failure, to wager them on another Lagoderm race. Scanning the papers, he finds that one is named after the Lord’s Day. Surely, that is a sign worth a wager, despite the dismal (but, if successful, very rewarding!) odds.

His funds committed, St-Patrick-Hartbrooke sets out, handkerchief pressed to his face, to affix his choices within the Public Ledger.

Invest 3 250
Attend 1
Buy Silk Bowler
Buy Provocative Novel
Buy Fashionable Handkerchief
Wager Sunday Stroll 28
10 Likes

As a former military officer, Brummell keeps a close eye on the politics of the day, and as such, was delighted to accept the invitation to Ms. Fangley’s Salon.

Furthermore, the opportunity to further improve his already dazzling wardrobe was hard to resist, and Brummell didn’t try.

Brummell knew that he should stay away from the races, knowing that a fool and his money are easily parted, and yet he admits to himself that he felt a slight frisson of excitement when he heard that his ward had placed a bet on the previous races - perhaps he’d try his own luck this time; just a small wager, nothing he couldn’t afford.

@Qaaxtzl - some more errands for you to run!

Invest 1 195
Attend 1
Buy Silk Bowler
Buy Lacquer Snuffbox
Wager Dirty Urchin 7

10 Likes

Ah, here’s that list of duties to which I must attend for Mr Dipswitch (@ghoti):

Oh, my, I do hope I have enough funding on hand to cover all these expenses.

Invest 3 250
Attend 2
Buy Silk Bowler
Buy Provocative Novel
Wager Sunday Stroll 20

11 Likes

Invest 2 200
Attend 3
Rent Modest Apartment
buy silk bowler
buy lacquer snuffbox
buy provocative novel
buy fashionable hankerchief
Wager Amaranth 10

6 Likes

In for a penny, in for a pound, or like some junk. I am so awesome at buisness.

This is like totally going into the public ledger, but I have all this dumb horse cash. If you’re like really dying for a hat or some junk, maybe we could make a deal if you need some credit.

Invest 1 480
Rent Spartan Apartment
Wager 12 Thunder Snuff
Attend 3
Buy Charming Fan
Buy Provocative Novel
Buy Lacquer Snuffbox
Buy Silk Bowler

purse

11 Likes

Igor!

Yes, Master?

I’m investing what remains of your old age pension for you.

Thank you Master.

You are the dirtiest of urchins, Igor. You really are. [kicks at Igor and misses]

Thank you Master.

6 Likes

INVEST 1 414
ATTEND 3
WAGER Dirty Urchin 1
RENT Spartan apartment
BUY Fashionable Handkerchief/Charming Fan
BUY Provocative Novel
BUY Lacquer Snuffbox
BUY Silk Bowler

5 Likes

Eudaemonia sips absently at her tea while she ponders her business arrangements. Her modest printing enterprise is doing tolerably well, but it’s time to diversify. Does she dare invest in one of those scientific ventures? It’s risky… but the future lies in discovery. Yes.

She now considers her social calendar. She’s not prominent enough to attend Ms. Fangley’s salon… not yet. Mr. Bracewell’s poetry reading is intriguing… but the thought of reading aloud in public is rather intimidating. She really should spend some time at the Leviathan Club before attending such an event. The lecture at Weatherby University? Capital!

Having decided that, she looks to more personal spending. There was that lovely bonnet she saw in the shop window yesterday that would just suit her outfit for the lecture. And curiosity demands she read that novel everyone’s been talking about. Pondering a moment more, she decides to pick up a bottle of tonic. It just would not do to catch one of the viruses circulating at present, not when she wants to step out and finally acquaint herself with her peers.

Invest 3 325
Buy poke bonnet
Buy provocative novel
Buy lacquer snuffbox
Buy Dr. Arbuckle’s Whipwood Wine Tonic
Attend 3
Wager Splashdown 15

8 Likes

an electrical crackle erupts from the radio again

…_HMS Surpr… …ckle here,… …valiently but…
…tentacles have… …men remain steadfast despite…
…rve be with great…onor…

…rders are as follo… … …

with a whistle and pop of the electrolytic detector releasing its last signal, the radio falls permanently silent

8 Likes

Invest 3 101 (investing in the research of Tunas-Lee in inter-connecting .NET devices)
Attend 3 (Public lecture related to The Plague - while not on-mission, this public health catastrophe is of increasing priority)
Buy 75£ Silk Bowler

5 Likes

I can’t believe I wasn’t invited to Mrs. Fangley’s salon. Grandmother would have told me to get a nicer apartment.
Still Father would never approve of spending 200/ month for lodging. So I will continue to double down on his advise. Invest in something not too risky which the citizens depend on. Then double down and drive your competition out of business.
I was so excited to place my first wager last game, but it turns out betting is not so very fun if you don’t win. I think I’ll stick to more sound investments.

Invest 2 400
Attend 2
Buy poke bonnet
Buy provocative novel

7 Likes

Mr Karekin reviews his correspondence. As always, much family business needs tending before the next packet ship departs on the lunar flood.

Jules looks at the account ledgers and says to his serverbot, "I understand my place amongst all this Quality. I am untitled. My Connections are to Shapers and Lobsters - which limits how high I may climb here, socially. I accept that. Still, business requires I maintain access to the Best Company. Keeping up with FaSHion thus seems like a bargain.

That Dandy Beau Brummel @daneel really sets that standard; I think I will follow his lead.

Buy Provocative Novel      
Buy Lacquer Snuffbox 
Buy Silk Bowler 

Eighth is quivering with anticipation about Lady Rhys’s @MrMonkey upcoming lecture on physical chemistry. He’s been a good ward looking after the fishery; it’s the least I could do for him.

Attend 3

As the operator of the leading Seryl mine in the New Territories, I need to understand our downstream markets. Commodities at scale are fine, but margin is where the profit is.

Buy Franklin Gooseberry's Remarkable Colloidal Seryl  

The current investments in the New Territories are still efficiently deploying their already allocated capital. The future always belongs to those who can grasp the nettle of change. Also, Grandfather always stressed the importance of diversifying.

Invest 3 606
6 Likes

Invest 2 425

Buy Provocative Novel
Buy Laquer Snuffbox
Buy Silk Bowler

Attend 3

3 Likes
RENT Spartan apartment
BUY Charming Fan
BUY Provocative Novel
BUY Lacquer Snuffbox
BUY Poke Bonnet
WAGER Thunder Snuff 23
INVEST 2 380
ATTEND 3
5 Likes

Invest 3 350
Buy Poke Bonnet
Attend 1

Sorry folks, had a busy week. I’ll catch up narratively this weekend!

8 Likes