Redoubtable Downtown Space Abbey - Public Ledger

Damerl, stood upon the bridge and stared out the forward viewfinder at the Weatherby Port. Industrious, mercantile, frivolous Weatherby. “Bah!” thought he. “I do so hate to go into debt. But 'ods bodkins, given these times and the seemingly faltering interest in preparing our forces I feel I cannot but do everything I can to equip our brave Dragoons! If the shipping lines hold I’ll be clear again next season. If not… well, perhaps the squirrel would have enough stashed away for he and the child at least to make do.” Such risks, and now with a family, too.

Child - Rocco Fulcrumpivot Capstanturnbuckle, Space Lobster-Squirrel cross, preferably with a big fluffy tail.

Purchase Commission Captain Space Dragoons

Legacy 4: Serve with distinction in the Weatherbean forces

Hire Nanny

8 Likes

A pre-scheduled payment arrives at the commission’s office. Despite his status as an alleged missing person, all the paperwork seems in order.

Promote from Lieutenant to Captain in Dragoons £2035

Hire: scholar.

Final Legacy:

Weatherby, indeed all of New Britannian society is heading for a precipice. The separation between classes is starker than even pre-Revolutionary Old France. Families find themselves ripped apart at the flip of a coin. While the TeaSeas enjoy glittering parties, SeaPeas collapse exhausted into beds they cannot even call their own. The common SeaPea sentient is getting desperate and finding themselves with nothing left to lose, even as the TeaSeas dance on, oblivious to reality. With no representation at the polls, no relief under the so-called justice system, they are finding themselves with one remaining option.

A change is gonna come. That much is inevitable. Far from fearing the threat of New Prussia, TBTB need the foreign aggressor. External threats are the only thing holding New Britannian society together. Things need to equalise, or there will be blood.

If someone can’t devise an alternative, and fast, the empire will crumble and be remembered not as an achievement, but a warning.

Preferably EDU: Synthesise a way that the Empire can shift to more equitable and sustainable system for all.

Alternatively, MIL: if it all goes to Hell, get as many people – especially those least capable of protecting themselves – as far away from the splash zone as possible.

The people interface with power in three ways: through elections, in the courts and with the guillotine. Fuck with the first two at your peril. – John Rogers.

10 Likes

Karekin sits at his usual “mobile office” in Leviathans, but today he is not alone. Two newly mintedTCs newly betrothed TC partners, Eighth and Johann Wentworth are with him.

“Today is a special day. The two newest [True Citizens] partners of our corporate body are here. What a moment! a time to recognize the increased informational energy you have generated and the disequilibrium structures this makes possible!”

The tall human says “Jules, before I met you, I would have thought that was the weirdest greeting imaginable. But as Shaper beliefs infuse my worldview, I see your greeting for the joyous compliment it is.”

The blue lobster adds, “So we’ve added another ‘politics of personality’ to the mix. Good thing the spreadsheet work around here is so trivial. Can we get on with this? I need to get back to the lab – I working on something special for Reginald.”

“and joyous nuptials to you as well, Eighth” Johann says smoothly.

“Okay, on to business. . Johann, what do you make of Ambassador Honeyvenom’s ‘gift’?”

Gift @David_Falkayn 30 An extra large jug of well-aged cloacal aioli, just like grandmother used to excrete, in gratitude for having rid us of that sketchy investment, whatever it was.

There’s more where that came from, and when the New Prussians get here, they’ll certainly smell where the Rothschild/Karekin/Falkayns are hiding.

"That that old space lizard intends to be an old space lizard. More importantly, She may no longer have full control of her forebrain anymore, as she let slip prematurely that the New Prussians are coming.’

"Good catch, Johann. I presume the New Prussians are as well informed as we are about the Militia’s readiness – though I doubt they were as efficient as Eighth.

Jules continues… "What I find even more discouraging is that the Weatherbean leadership is confused about basic principles. For example, the Weatherby Space Times misconstrued our family touchstone of “Self-interested cooperation is the basis for all success” as

“interested cooperation is the clear course forward”

Johann nods, “If that is the depth of their nuance, this is not going to go well for Weatherby”

Eighth’s sensor’s swing back to the conversation. “simple game theory approximations suggest that New Prussia is about to land a facer on Weatherby – and the Ambassador knows this and hopes to punish us for our ‘defection’ with the lagoderm ranch. We need to diversify off-world, post-haste.”

Johann raises an eyebrow and has the hint of a smirk as he makes eye contact with Jules.

Jules returns the smile ever so slightly, then looks to the lobster. “Excellent calculation, Eighth. What do you propose.”

Now that we are all True Citizens “With our elevated status, Jules’ diurnal presence in Weatherby system is unnecessary. Send him offworld to develop new possibilities. Ideally some place where the appearance of old space lizard will generate complexity for that three-chambered heart without our having to expend our own energy.”

Johann visibly brightens. “I couldn’t agree more, Eighth. You may yet be a credit to Shapers. Do you think you could keep the Sandfishery projects moving forward, and tend to the ‘day-to-day’ of the rest of the New Territories’ operations, while I manage affairs here in Weatherby proper?”

“Not only could I, I would prefer it that way. Let you deal with squishbrain fluff while I manage the spreadsheets that keep the operations running. That would also leave me more time for Reginald’s and my … joint chemical . I had not realized how much better endorphins are when shared.”

A large grin spreads across Jules’ face. “Excellent. Likewise, Johann will also need to take over our legal affairs, and tend to our expanding legacy. Johann, would you please see to the arrangements, as per our prior conclusions.”

“Prior conclusions!” exclaims Eighth. “Why, I only just came to these conclusions!”

Johann leans forward. “You’re learning fast, Eighth. But for now, continue to focus on your strengths. I am certain we’ll make a great team while Jules is off-world. Self-interested cooperation and all that”

Child Shmuel Wentworth Karekin, Space Chimera
Hire Nanny
Spend pluck legal defense
Legacy 6 “Seek a position in the royal court of Britannia Prime”

10 Likes

Child Peyote Goetia Aiwass Trigrammaton, Space LobCat
Legacy 2: Found a salon, the likes of which has never been seen in Weatherby

DO WHAT THOU WILT SHALL BE THE WHOLE OF THE LAW

Salon tonight at 8, all are invited. Punch and pie to be served! Nudity encouraged, but not mandatory.

14 Likes

Legacy 2 “A Bean Salon”

You know what all these “salons” have been missing? Beans. I will serve a crazy array of bean dishes that you would never dream of. I mean my party was such a hit, so why not have a party all the time? Like our Fashionable Apartment is the perfect place to host. And the things we will talk about. Like OMG, I’ve always wanted a trashy ladies book circle of my own. Oh and I suppose we can talk about other stuff, like the mayor, and spies, and getting shipped off to war, and how we’ll turn break our societies speciest, classist, backwards thinking!

And like glob, doesn’t this look delightful?

Dear Tom (@Tom_Ratchetcrank). Help me pick a name! I didn’t know this would be so globbing difficult. I’m like soooo excited.

Child LSP, a beautiful floating space lump
Hire Nanny
Rent Fashionable apartment

Like maybe LSP will suffice Tom? It’ll be our wonderful Lumpy Space Princess or Lumpy Space Prince!

8 Likes

“Not mandatory”? Sigh… what soft times this younger generation knows.

Still. Perhaps this old reptiloid can show them how we do it back at old home Herpeton VI.

11 Likes

That is perfect my dear, however do you come up with such things!

LSP, begat in a vat of Gummibuns and Ratchetcrank.

Er, we can keep working on the birth announcements.

10 Likes

But where should we leave our keys?

Oh, never mind, I see.

9 Likes

Yes @Donald_Petersen us reptiles know how to party. In fact the party is good that I’ve already lost my tail.

7 Likes

Good Duchess, thank you ever so much for the lovely gift! Caffeine via coffee bean has long been one of my favorite stimulants, as you’ve so astutely intuited. You always seem to know the right bean for the right situation – truly, a remarkable skill.

5 Likes

Ms. Farnsworth, thank you kindly for that delightful mechanical horse. It’s an astonishing display of craftsmanship! I shall be the envy of the boulevard, with a mount like that.

6 Likes

Oh my. Hieronymoose, your taste in literature is exquisite. These shall have a place of honor in my library, I assure you. I thank you humbly.

5 Likes

orders

Child Richard Oomingmak Ticklebot Liversnaps-Grayson Mark II, Space Canoid.
Legacy 4
Hire nanny

verbose version

3 Likes

moose%20rider-afa6cd0318

“Dammit! Close the @#$%&*! door!”

Child Marmaduke Mason Honeyvenom, Space Lizard

Legacy 6 - details via PM.

9 Likes

Listen to what I say ! In your palace walls, mighty king - a child! A child shivers in the cold. Let us bring them gold insulation. They will bring us goodness and light.

Child Mechaootokage
Hire Nanny
Wager 99 Don Mondo

Legacy 4: Develop and test a new military doctrine: skull-crushing
Legacy 6: Recontextualize the social construct of rank with a genius work of art created with a dash of madness

11 Likes

Child Parabola Spare, Geometer
Legacy 5 “Perform a remarkable feat of genetic engineering”
HIRE Nanny

Q: What do you get when you cross an old square and oblate spheroid?
A: The world’s grooviest bowling ball.

10 Likes

I neglected to mention that I do need to hire another staff member. Goodness knows we’ll need all the help we can get.

Hire Nanny

IMG_3748

Uhhhhhhhhhh… I don’t know…

Mmmmmmmaybeeeee…

IMG_3750

Oh, yes! Perfect, she’s hired.

11 Likes

St-Patrick-Hartbrooke, after a long discussion with his new spouse, has decided to undertake the task of attempting to conceive an heir.

If the child is a True Citizen, they will, of course, be given the name befitting the heir to the estate, becoming the fourth in the prestigious line of Aaaakzee St-Patrick-Hartbrookes.

If not, well, St-Patrick-Hartbrooke won’t love the child any less… well, not much less, but it wouldn’t be fitting to give a Citizen-Pretender such a name. Madeline has suggested “Luna,” after her mother, and the Taaa’keee has agreed that that’s a suitably… Pretenderish name. Well, that wasn’t what he said, he’d phrased it in a much more complimentary and diplomatic fashion than that, but that had been his actual reasoning.

With a handshake and a great many thanks, Aaaakzeee has decided to part ways with his Doctor. Due to the Doctor’s excellent care, he has now returned to peak physical form (which whould prove quite handy in the upcoming years of child-raising, although Madeline will naturally, as a Citizen-Pretender, be taking care of most of that).

And now, with marriage and family planning and all the various trials and afflictions behind him, it is time to undertake a project long-postponed. It is a blight on his honour that he voted for Mayor Tidewell’s re-election, even though he only subsequently learned of her horrific ideas for dealing with the plague, and, indeed, helped to talk her out of them. It is his solemn obligation to make recompense for that error, and, while he’s never aspired to politics himself, it would appear that there is no one available of better moral standing to take on the role.

His mind made up, he completes the necessary paperwork to start the nomination process, and sets out to collect the necessary signatures to enroll.

FIRE Physician
CHILD Aaaakzeee St-Patrick-Hartbrooke IV, Space Griffin (if True Citizen), OR
CHILD Luna Penumbra, Space Griffin (if Citizen-Pretender)
LEGACY 1 "Run for political office"
10 Likes

Hire barrister
I am not going down without a fight mysterious stranger.

Oh honey Qaaxtzl, look what I bought for you when I was out shopping at the gatc
Child Qaaxtl Farnsworth Mexican mole lizard

Legacy 3
I have invented a new product that is going to change the lives of everyone on weatherby. But I can’t talk about it till I secure the patent. No @Qaaxtzl I can’t even tell you about it dear.

10 Likes

The ceremonial pomp and excitement of the matrimonial season has abated, and Jean-Rhys finds herself pleasantly surprised at how quickly she and Mary have settled in to a comfortable domestic routine.

She’d expected her life to become even more complicated once they were wed, but somehow it seems simpler and more pure than ever before. It’s as if she’d harbored an existential vacuity that she was incapable of perceiving until it was filled by Mary. Combining the very essences of their corporeal selves to spawn a new sentient was the logical next step (not that logic had anything to do with it). The only hard part had been deciding on a name, but even that was stimulating in it’s own way.

They’ve already started a photo album and memory book.

As her home life has gently prospered, her professional endeavors have picked up considerable steam. Her intuition tells her that the question of Sandfish sentience has not been definitively settled, even though conventional tests of intelligence have all come back negative.

The results of her own research have to date remained tantalizingly inconclusive, but the clues are too strong to be coincidence: the uncanny enzymatic diversity of Sandfish bodily fluids; the dizzying structural complexity of a novel class of molecules she’s started thinking of as organic hyper-polypeptides, that can nonetheless somehow cross the blood-brain barrier; all that coupled with an astonishingly high viral load. It reminds her of certain symbiotic relationships found in…

Suffice it to say that Jean-Rhys feels certain that she’s on the edge of a major breakthrough. She just needs to push a little harder, to think a little deeper and follow this line of inquiry wherever it leads. To that end, she’s begun personally funding some of her more esoteric experiments, and is seeking to hire a research assistant to conduct literature surveys and go spelunking down the interdisciplinary rabbit holes that might otherwise slow Jean-Rhys’s progress.

Child Talulah Bean Marrienne Westingham-Flowers, Space Human

Legacy 5 "Make an astounding academic discovery"

Hire Scholar
Hire Nanny

Wager Don Mondo 99
11 Likes