Redoubtable Downtown Space Abbey - The Leviathan Club

Tom walks through the door of The Leviathan Club for the first time not brashly, in a bold display of defiance as he would have just a short time ago, nor surreptitiously, as when he had first landed here alone, but with the even pace of, BUT NOT ,a True Citizen,

Marriage for Tom had meant many things; it was true NOTattaining the rank of TC was not without value, but for him it was the Duchess, the Duchess was the true prize. He scanned about the club looking for her, this was the appointed time they were supposed to meet after her afternoon rounds socializing, yet she was nowhere to be found

After waiting some while, he decided he must be confused as to their plans, surely that was it. Well, there were things to be done. “Business” had slowed with the departure of his partners, who it turns out had also apparently been two of their best customers, but still, there was enough to see to. Can’t have class divisions like Weatherby and not expect folks to try for any escape no matter how desperate.

Tom glanced in the box he held, something in the shop window that had caught his eye today

%24_3

Motioning to Rumpthwait, he slid the box across the counter with instructions it was to be hidden in Duchess Gummibuns’ (@gwwar) coat when she did finally put in her appearance, and with that he strode back into the bustling streets of Weatherby.

10 Likes

I got seryl in the tank
I got money in the bank
I got news for you baby, you’re looking at the moose
I got rack in the game
Headed to the hall of fame
I got news for you baby, you’re looking at the moose

Right hand to God
First in command
My testimony, when I take the stand

Who’s the moose? Who’s the moose?
I’m the moose, I’m the moose
Who’s the moose with the plan?
I’m the moose

I don’t give a damn
I’m the moose

Thank you, thank you.

Hieron leaves the stage and goes back to the main lounge.

“W&T heavy on the Tonic.”

Looking around the room, Hieron spots Aaaakzeee St-Patrick-Hartbrooke III. (@nimelennar)

“Good evening, friend. I’ve been looking forward to seeing you so I could thank you in person for the beautiful SWIM watch. It shall be passed down for many generations.”

St-Patrick-Hartbrooke, nodded politely.

Also, I meant to ask if you and Madeline might join Liz and myself for some badminton later in the week."

10 Likes

Oh Tom (@Tom_Ratchetcrank) ! Did you leave this for me? How sweet! I was out in the whipweed fields checking their condition. Not even those sister beans seem to be doing the trick! Not to worry though, my other businesses are pulling through, but it’d be nice to have some extra cash… you know for stuff.

Anyway, we’re like totally a team Tom. Don’t let those donks in the Leviathan try to kick you out just because you’re not legally a True Citizen. You’re like so much cooler than all of them. So don’t mind them at all. Globs, I can tell them all off for you too! It’s like my number one skill.

But really we need to talk Tom! How do you feel about having a little family? It’s like such a big change and stuff, like daily visits with the kids in the library before the nanny takes them away, but it’d be like the best! I mean who else should we give our cool stuff to when we get old and junk? And like they’d totally be the most fashionable and awesome kiddos that Weatherby has seen.

How do you think our heir might turn out? Like a totes screaming hot human, or like a fantabulous floating space lump? Let me know Tom! Like, I don’t think I have too much time before all the good space vats are reserved!

10 Likes

Dear Duchess, I could not ask for more but than to have a family with you! And it should totes be lumpy, this place def has enough smooth poseurs running around.

6 Likes

[ After a very successful (and terribly memorable - they’ll be talking about this night for years to come) first salon gathering, Rounder enters the Leviathan with a nod to Rumpthwaite (absolutely convinced that he has just telepathically communicated his choice of refreshment), then heads for his favorite corner table in the Lounge. From a satchel, he retrieves his talking board, anxious to continue a conversation he’d started earlier with a sentient who’d shuffled off this mortal coil not so very long past… ]

IMG_3746

Now where were we, O Spirit, and what do you wish me to know?

11 Likes

St-Patrick-Hartbrooke nods politely as Farnsworth comes up to him, putting down a newspaper which somehow mistakes Weatherby for the capital of the Empire and home to the Queen, and not Britannia Prime. He would ordinarily write a letter to the editor, but with patriotism on an upswing due to the tension with New Prussia, he’s certain someone already has.

“You’re quite welcome, Farnsworth, and I offer my thanks in turn for such an exquisite tea chest. I, and my Madeline of course, anticipate getting great use out of it.”

The Space Griffin arises from his bench.

“As for badminton, I’m afraid that, as a game of agility, my size,” gesturing to his hindquarters, “will prevent me from doing very well. However, if you’ll promise not to laugh at my efforts, I will indeed have Madeline come along. You have, I assume, found a place to play which will allow such a mixed-doubles match, with both Tee Seas and Sea Peas?”

10 Likes

"There’s a spot in Brummel Park close to the lake, but not on the lake, that allows “Mixed-Doubles” as it were. Really, little more than an excuse for fresh air and some relaxation.

“And, a little bird tells me, someone might be running for public office. If you need any backing, you can count on Abacus Racks.”

“I’ll have Liz make arrangements with Madelin for the outing. Take care now, I’m off to check on some business prospects.”

11 Likes

I fear I shall have to have words with the Governor. It appears that providing funding for a public park offers no guarantee that when the park is named, your name will be spelt correctly.

If only (checks notebook for spelling) @Qaaxtzl were available to modify the signs to add the missing letter. But alas, he is otherwise occupied with his new bride. Or so I believe.

11 Likes

Given observations of the young sentient’s… enthusiasm… I’d say most likely he has got the time for that errand. Odd fellow, that one. One cannot but feel a twinge of guilt it was Madame Farnsworth’s disastrous debut at the ball that lead to such pairing… Ah, excuse me, Lord Brummell, I forget myself! I know you did the most that could be done for your former ward. But still, a lady like Ms. lizz- ahem Madame Farnsworth…

9 Likes

[The old moose nods and converses quietly with the constables that have recently arrived. After realizing that he can offer very little in terms of material evidence, Rumpthwaite bows politely and makes a more public announcement.]

“Distinguished Members - these fine officers of the law have come to inquire about the character and temperament of your fellow - one mister Olivier Richard Pierre Jean-Robèrt Sylvain, known colloquially as ‘Liv’. You are welcome to do so publicly in the space of this club, or may meet with the constables privately to share your opinions and observations.” [via PM to @messana]

[Having made a rather uncomfortable announcement, Rumpthwaite returns to the impeccable execution of his duties - yet those of you that have known him these past few years can see that he feels slightly diminished by the latest turn of events.]

6 Likes

The Blue Lobster’s office is a cross between a space ship control room, a Maker’s work bench, and a lobster cage. Screens, antennas, haptics, manipulators, olfactories and other interfaces clutter the space, meshing with the space lobster like parts of his exoskeleton.

A central screen pulses gently. The lobster crooks a fourth leg and the tall blonde figure appears.

"Greetings, Eighth. Jules sends his compliments on the Fine work with the Whipweed Farm.

“Enough small talk, Johann. You lost the first legal case we gave you.”

“Probabilities, dear Eighth. Probabilities. Speaking of which, how is that special concoction for Reginald coming along?”

The Lobster winces back into the his cage.

“Er, probabilities, Johann. Probabilities? The tertiary butyl group is interfering with the desired chiral conformation, so…”

" Keep trying - I’m sure you’ll find something Reginald will love"

“Johann. How do I model the legal risks now that the Government is expropriating? I can’t manage our New Territories holdings if I don’t know what holdings I need to manage! Can the Palace really just seize stuff? My full logical construction of the Weatherby Legal Code computes the seizure of Liv’s assets as ‘infeasible.’”

“Ah, yes. The Legal Code is given the appearance of a set of logical constructs as a calming fiction for an ever-changing set of Social Relations. Approached that way, the Law is a Prigonist’s delight.”

The lobster pauses, then changes the topic.

“Is Liv really a murderer? a terrorist? The probabilities don’t look right.”

“Good question, Eighth. Let’s work through this together. What is Liv’s primary source of income and influence?”

“The Post Ledger, of course. which scales linearly with his circulation”

“Exactly if Liv were the murderer, he would…”

"… be like Nicos Sampson , always first on the scene with the scoop. "

“So I think we can agree that’s it’s unlikely Liv is our serial killer. What about being in league with New Prussia?”

“I leave the ‘soft-science’ crap to you, Johann”

“You shouldn’t; it just as logical, only less numerical. Anyway, Liv’s politics are well known. Jules detests them. Pretty damn left-wing – almost anarchist. Liv planting bombs, at least rhetorical ones, for New Trokskyists from the Engles Collective? Sure. But for militaristic anti-democratic expansionists? Hardly.”

“So who is driving this?”

“Think, Eighth, don’t just compute.”

“Someone who can direct the police and courts – someone very high up. Someone who has a lot to lose from change.”

“Was Liv alone agitating for change?”

“No. Leviathian’s has many members who want change. I estimate a plurality, easily. And Leviathan’s is one of the most influential clubs on Weatherby So…”

“Keep going, Eighth”

“Conservatives resisting change need to take Leviathan’s down a notch. What better way than to pick off a vulnerable member!”

"Excellent analysis, Eighth. Of course, I can get to the same conclusion more elegantly:

Mutual self-interest is the basis of all success
Sustained cooperation requires identifying others who understand cooperation
Liv is a member in Good standing at Leviathans

the lobster blurts out

"We stand with Liv"

8 Likes

Liv, a terrorist? That seems rather unlikely. Unusual, yes. Unconventional, yes. A social agitator perhaps. But a terrorist? No, I don’t see that at all.

7 Likes

Ah, dear Doctor,

Doesn’t this hinge upon the operational definition of what one does to construct terror?

What does a Citizen “do” exactly, to be reclassified as a “terrorist” and persona non grata?

Wouldn’t a terrorist be someone who turned their back on their fellow sentients, on this club, on the mayor, on this planet, and on the very people of this nation?

Would it be someone who’s rapacious greed and careless disregard is considered of being capable of foul and treasonous duplicity?

If only this club had a member of such standing and integrity to challenge any pusillanimous wretch of such amoral nature, sociopathic deeds, and outright cowardice that threaten to stain the honour of all of the members of The Leviathan Club.

If only Our Membership had such a precedent of a member of such impeccible character and noblesse oblige who stood tall to challenge such persons who would deign to terrorize.

5 Likes

Oh, my. I certainly hope this small problem can be resolved amicably with no bio-samples, er… blood… spilled.

4 Likes

The Blue Lobster scuttles to the doorbot. After several chirps and whistles, the doorbot warbles “Of course, sir.”

Eighth approaches the bar with the multi-legged poise of too many forced dance lessons, then bows to @Rumpthwaite.

“My Good Sir. I am well acquainted with your excellent synthetic capacities. Your execution of the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster was truly commendable.”

"Today, however, may I call upon your exceptional service? Please arrange the delivery of this specific libation to Reginald @ghoti . Between the personalized endorphins and the Methylenedioxymethamphetamine customized just for us, this is something truly special just for Rounder and I to share together.

“Thank You”

7 Likes

Historical facts about attacks on urban populations:

1. When the Old Prussians surrounded Paris with aritllery in 1871, The Paris Commune arose, with barricades often manned (and womanned) by residents who didn’t even agree with the Communards politcs.

2. When the Old German Reich began their aerial bombardment of England in 1915, the population was only “scared” briefly and quickly organized “patriotic” responses. To paraphrase historian Raymond H. Fredette, “The raids were also influential because they led to an overestimation of both the material and psychological effects of the bombing of cities” ( The Sky on Fire: The First Battle of Britain 1917–1918. New York: Harvest, 1976. ISBN 0-15-682750-6.)

3. Only days after the American Nuclear attack, the survivors of Hiroshima bombing gathered to hear Emperor Hirohito’s radio address. The survivors were shocked by what they heard: The God-Emperor was not exhorting them to even greater efforts to resists the invader. Many were more confused by this than by the attack itself. (John Hersy, Hiroshima)

4. On September 11, 2001, the United States suffered a highly dramatic attack from the skies. The citizenry responded with the highest degree of political solidarity that would be witnessed for a generation before or after.

Now is time the time for Leviathan’s to show leadership – not just Militarily, but Politically and Socially as well. Woman’s suffrage in England and the United States happened immediately after The Great War precisely because of the grand social and political compacts required to win The Great War.

ORGANIZE
RESIST

6 Likes

Hussars and Dragoons may soon need your blood!

Donate now; save a life tomorrow.

7 Likes

I’ve got a bad feeling about this, @Eighth

11 Likes

First they came for our blood, but they made no mention of ichor, so I said nothing…

10 Likes

Or join the Morale Corps! We’re always looking for volunteers to cheer on our brave troops.

9 Likes