Redoubtable Downtown Space Abbey - Turn 13 - Epilogue

A big round of applause for

penguinchris
mrmonkey
David_Falkayn

Who each placed in 4 Categories. Good job there.

And then a TIE for Points (giving 5 for First going down to 1 for 5th) to the over all DOMINATORS

penguinchris
David_Falkayn

Total results as below:

+-Player------------+-Character-----------------------------------------------------------+-Placed-+-Total-+
+ penguinchris     | Lady Jane                                                           |      4 |    12 |
+ David_Falkayn    | Julius Rothschild Karekin                                           |      4 |    12 |
+ mrmonkey         | Jean-Rhys Witherspoon Wilhelmina Winnifred Rodchaser nĂŠe Westingham |      4 |    11 |
+ ghoti            | Reginald Oblongnoknees Ursulak Nock-nock Dipswitch, VII             |      3 |    10 |
+ hadley           | Elizabeth Mary Farnsworth VI                                        |      3 |     8 |
+ fintastic        | Commander William T. Piker                                          |      3 |     8 |
+ MalevolentPixy   | Olivier Richard Pierre Jean-Robèrt Sylvain                          |      2 |     7 |
+ wisconsin_platt  | Hieronymoose Farnsworth, III                                        |      2 |     6 |
+ nightflyer       | Eudaemonia Betalinda Ponsonby-Britt                                 |      2 |     6 |
+ donald_petersen  |  Carcinogennifer Honeyvenom                                         |      2 |     6 |
+ daneel           | Erythro Brummell                                                    |      2 |     6 |
+ pogo             | Commander Damerl Capstanturnbuckle                                  |      1 |     5 |
+ nimelennar       | Aaaakzeee St-Patrick-Hartbrooke III                                 |      1 |     5 |
+ old              | Dr. Heinz Franksenketchup                                           |      1 |     3 |
+ gwwar            | Duchess Gummibuns                                                   |      1 |     3 |

Thank you ALL for you involvement.

PWMC would like to extend an extra special thanks to

@Bartlebot
@Rumpthwaite

and most especially

messana

(PWMC would like to apologize as it seems new users can only “@” two users.)

We here at Price WaterMoose and Cooper look forward to the next installment in what ever form it may take.

While PWMC did not fully vet these numbers…here were the total attribute points

ghoti 248
daneel 244
mrmonkey 242
wisconsin_platt 241
MalevolentPixy 235
fintastic 225
pogo 223
gwwar 221
old 217
David_Falkayn 216
hadley 213
nightflyer 208
penguinchris 205
nimelennar 187
donald_petersen 161

12 Likes

As Weatherby returns to normal, talk of change, of a new Charter, and of the impending election is in the air.

In Whipweed Place, on a block that received special attention from the New Prussian artillery, a tattered flag flies above a luxurious apartment undergoing repairs. The poor state of the flag contrasts with the elegant appointments of the edifice, but Weatherbean’s understand the message loud and clear: Our Banner Still Waves.

Campaign posters for upcoming election are the new fashion, and the apartment proudly flying the tattered banner is no exception:

St%20%20Patric%20campaign

11 Likes

12 Likes

[Somewhere above Weatherby, aboard the captured bulk ore freighter Dynarri]

Making orbit was difficult. The tired ship, packed to the literal gills with hundreds of thousands of sandfish, was operating at nearly twice its designed carrying capacity. A shimmering liquid mass of fish flowed through its every corridor, forming ripples and eddies. Moon Shadow rode the undulating waves towards the bridge, his Pescarios following close behind.

When Moon Shadow arrived at the bridge, the hulking non-sentient doorfish parted to allow his passage. The bridge was much calmer than the chaotic hallways of the ship; schools of datafish slowly swam around the three large brainfish acting as pilots. The ship’s radio crackled to life, having recently been crudely repaired:

Moon Shadow stared into the blackness of space as he listened to the voice of his father.

Victory? he thought, Victory for some, perhaps. But also a victory for the status quo. A victory for those who farm my people.

A klaxon sounded from the scanning station across the room. One of the brainfish slid over to the console and, datafish swarming around its head, reviewed the display.

“Report,” Moon Shadow commanded, turning off the ship’s radio.

“I think we have found a piece, M’Shad” the brainfish said, “now dispatching a school of recovery fish.”

Moon Shadow rode the flow of fish into the ship’s infirmary. Huge sandfish, their bellies inflated and transparent, housed convalescing fish. One of these special medicalfish was heavily guarded in a corner. The guards parted and moved away as Moon Shadow approached. He peered through the translucent belly as datafish poked and prodded at a small burned piece of scaly green flesh.

“How long will it take to produce a viable clone?” He queried a nearby brainfish.

“We’ve isolated enough DNA to replicate,” the fish said, “But our knowledge in this area is limited.”

“Keep trying,” Moon Shadow said, “@Ssskidwish did my mother a kindness once. If I am truly to fulfill my destiny of conquest, I will need his counsel.”

Moon Shadow made his way back to the bridge, deep in thought. Was it truly his destiny? Was he the king or the pawn in this plan? He had felt driven to this goal since his *birth*. Was it implanted?

The brainfish were agitated when he returned; they had been repeatedly scanned and hailed from the surface.

It was time to push out of orbit and escape.
It was time to seed the galaxy with innumerable planets ruled by sandfish.
It was time for the farmed to become the farmers.
It was time for conquest.
It was *time*.

giphy

15 Likes

No time, Gill.

The Vortigaunt Delegation has reported another instance of Unforeseen Consequences. We must be underway.

Gather Lt. Commander Cata and the body of Crusher.

9 Likes

We are here, Captain.

9 Likes

Very well.

One moment, Cmdr Cata…

…

Cadet @liversnaps-grayson.

I wish you the best of luck at the Academy.

Please have this chew-toy to remember me by.

11 Likes

Elverprise, three to beam up.

10 Likes

Liv sits for a while, just listening. To the sound of his own breath, to the breath of the man on the other side of the screen. Other than that, there is silence. Soundproofing has improved since these things were first invented. Finally, he begins.

“Bless me, Father, for I have sinned.” Words long-not-spoken come more easily than he expected. "It has been… seventeen years since my last confession.

"My name is Sidney Sullivan. I come from Artemis 37960-3 – a backwater known mostly for producing two things: coltan and fertilizer. I could say we don’t have shit, but… well…

"I’ve never been much of a believer in Fate, other th’n that it’s a right bastard. But when he showed up…

"Him. T’younger son of some Citizens with all the prototypical young-sonness about him. More money than brains – at least at the start – but he fell hard for two things: Bella D’Argent and saffron dust.

"Oh, yeah, I guess you could say those are two other things we got plenty of. Whores and saffron dust. Saffron’s a funny thing: it makes y’feel the way y’wish y’could feel all the time. For some people, it’s excited and full of energy, others end up feeling connected to something spiritual or universal, others just end up feeling no pain. If y’re smart, you stay away from it. But like I said, more money than brains at least at the start.

"So… Bella and saffron, yeah, that’s a combo that’s felled more than one toff out slumming. T’ey all think t’ey’re so high and mighty with their fancy school educations and their incomes, but they’re not so smart when it comes to certain realities of life on the fringes.

"It wasn’t until the message came in f’r him – the one from his parent’s estate saying that they and his older siblings had perished in some tragedy – that I ever really stopped t’consider things. We were of a type – or would have been before he succumbed to his vices – but it wasn’t until I clapped eyes on the missive, where t’ey spoke of “Young Liv” that I realised that I suddenly had my shot. No one had seen him in over a decade, between boarding school and his subsequent debauched travels and anyone who might even have been close to him was gone. He was too entangled in Bella’s web to ever returned. Fact is, he’d be down at the anatomists soon as not, or down at the grinders for bone-meal. Yet here I was, called by the same name and a better fit for his clothes than he’d be anymore; why shouldn’t I take this? It wasn’t like I’d be fooling his mother or anybody else that might have cared for him. I was just… I was just grabbing the only opportunity I’d ever get t’breathe air that didn’t stink of ammonia and rot, t’find out what it was like to live with entire rooms to myself instead of a cot I needed to share with someone on the opposite shift.

"Aside from a few minor details, it was relatively easy, so long as y’knew the right people. And that was it. I was finally free. No more saffron or company housing, no more dark shafts that might be full o’ giant bats or arachnoid webs. My life had been pre-determined by the flip of a coin. It was only fair that I got to steal something back.

"Only, it wasn’t easy, was it? It’s one thing to be able to get t’paperwork in order, and another t’have the stomach for that life. Having money is one thing, but wasting it… and trust me, those toffs c’n waste it. Not the least, single damn giv’n for t’ose who might need it. Houses y’could put an entire camp in. Or eight big rooms and t’ey call it an apartment. I couldn’t make myself go past havin’ just t’one with something separate for toilet and washing up. And none o’that shared.

"So, I did a few thing’s different. I paid good and I tried t’make things a little fairer. Wages. A doctor that would otherwise be out o’reach. Y’know, “that which you do for the least” and all.

"But like I said, Fate’s a right bastard… someone didn’ like what I was doing. T’ey didn’t like me speaking truth to power and all, and next thing I know, I’m being accused of murdering t’other Liv’s family. Wasn’t pretty, either… an out-and-out axe murder, with their own axes. There’s a reason I didn’t ever stay there…

"Then, New Prussia. And you know who takes the brunt o’it when nations squabble… t’little guy, T’ones who can’t afford t’run away or hide behind fortifications. I knew if I went and served, I’d get banged up for t’crimes I hadn’t done, so I worked t’get as many as I could out before I ran, m’self.

"So, here I am. All I got is one stolen ship, some gear that came with t’comission I bought, and a load o’debt to some people who don’t take that sort o’thing lightly. I c’n’t go back t’Weatherby or they’ll bang me up for desertion, ev’n if they drop the other charges. I got nowhere.

“But some people are alive that wouldn’t have been, so that’s got t’count for something, right?” He sighs. He knows the truth: nothing ever does. No good deed, etcetera. He doesn’t wait for a response before leaving. Penance… like he said, the people he owes do not take debts lightly. Forgiveness? Absolution? Do those even exist? At this point, he has no idea, just a ship with the serial numbers filed off and no clue what he’ll have to do to make good. Fate is, indeed, a right bastard.

12 Likes

It’s been a year since the New Prussian aggressors were repulsed from the skies and fields of fair Weatherby. The city is revitalized, but scars from the attack still linger like pits on the skin of a pox survivor. Today is the first anniversary of the destruction of the Thetis and the effective end of hostilities: Remembrance Day.

The sun shines brightly from a cloudless sky, and Jean-Rhys can smell the earthy, funky scent of wild whipweed on the early morning breeze as they silently walk the paths of the Ponsonby-Britt family plot.

A sharp, whistling boom makes her twitch and falter. She knows it’s only children from the village playing with fireworks, but sometimes she still jumps at sudden noises, finding herself back in the steam tunnels under Weatherby U., frantically ferrying equipment and medical supplies, anything her crews have been able to scavenge from campus facilities and laboratory supply closets, to the Hussars on the Eastern Front, at the peak of the orbital bombardment, desperately hoping that the shock-wave from the next near miss won’t detonate the IEDs in her hand-cart or collapse the tunnels and bury them alive, all the while knowing that that and much worse was already happening to her compatriots ––

She catches herself before the fear spiral fully takes hold, triggers a preset on her brain-chemistry regulators, takes three deliberate breaths, and shakes it off.

Later, after the parades and ceremonies for the Hussars and Dragoons, she will meet the remains of her cell in a small, quiet tavern off of the St. Marrowbone Cathedral Square and, without ever mentioning the Resistance by name (those habbits die hard), they will raise a glass to those who didn’t make it. None of them were soldiers; but every one of them, from groundskeepers to graduate students, refused to be bystanders to their own destruction. And too many of them gave everything they had in defense of their homes and families.

But first, her own family will finish paying their respects to those stalwarts of the Leviathan Club who fell in the battle for Weatherby.

Cmdr. Damerl Capstanturnbuckle @pogo.

Lt. Dr. Heinz Franksenketchup @Old.

Amb. Carcinogennifer Honeyvenom @donald_petersen.

And now, Lt. Eudaemonia Betalinda Ponsonby-Britt, @nightflyer.

Jean-Rhys feels this one the most keenly. Eudaemonia’s remains were never found, but by all accounts she lit the very fires of Hell with that flamethrower. A woman after her own heart, it seems, in the end.

Mary has been waiting patiently, sensing her sadness and momentary distress, but the children, unaccustomed to their formal dress, are becoming fidgety and restless.

She motions to them and Talulah, guiding her little brother Aldous by the hand, steps forward and places a small bouquet of white lilies on the marker.

They don’t understand at this age, not really, but they will remember.

white_lilies

10 Likes

AmbassadorStatue

8 Likes

Its been a year and no one has seen lady farnsworth. And so sentients react with mild surprise when they see her watching the parade from the balcony of her city apartment. He skin is wrinkled and weathered beyond her years, in need of a good shedding.

While she has been gone her son Qaaxtzl Jr. has been successfully running her businesses. Since he is a full blooded reptile h developed much faster than warm blooded children.

At first during the war it appeared her cream may have proven to be a disaster. Instead of regrowing the proper limb of whatever animal it was applied to it replaced any missing limb with a lizard tail. Although initially many recipients were filled with shock at their new appendage. With time many of them began to enjoy having a tail or two of their own. Soon it became the latest fad. A sign of bravery worn more proudly than a Purple Heart medal. After the war many citizens who did not fight in the war began using the cream to add tails to whichever part of the body was most in style at that moment. And so Lizzy’s new business continued to grow over the last year.

But everyone wondered where she had been. She would never tell them that she had spent the last year searching through the reckage of burnt and crumpled space ships looking for a sign of life or possibly the remains of her true love Cmd. Damerel. After a year she with no success she had come home to Weatherby to rebuild her life.

When Qaaxtzl jr. told her that his father had fled weatherby on a royal ship before the fighting began. She and her son could only come to the conclusion that he had been a spy for the queen for his whole stay on weatherby. Perhaps participating in machinations that put her on the throne. And that is what they will continue to believe unless they hear otherwise from @Qaaxtzl or @daneel

13 Likes

~And with the passage of time, as the citizens of Weatherby scrambled to create a new normal, those who were lost in battle quite naturally faded from the thoughts of most gentlesentients. It was no mark of disrespect; they were remembered with love, and their sacrifice was appreciated. But life does move on, and most were able to accept the obvious conclusion. If Eudaemonia had lived, she surely would have been found. Given the fierceness of the battle surrounding the cannon, and the enthusiastic implementation of vast quantities of ordnance, the most logical conclusion is that her body was destroyed beyond recovery.~

~Yet given the native intelligence of most gentlesentients, it would not be unexpected if one were to wonder…~

~…What might it have looked like if she’d survived?~

On a barren asteroid on the fringes of the Weatherbean system, a New Prussian cruiser touched down on its landing pad. Squads of armed Cuirassiers marched a group of ragged, injured captives into a squat, blocky prison compound, where they were greeted by their warden.

space%20soldier%20bird%2001%20stocky%20vs

“Welcome to your new home, my friends. I, Sergeant Schultz, will be your host. Please enjoy the hospitality of New Prussia. And don’t even dream of leaving us-- no prisoner has ever escaped from Star Roost Theta Three. I’m sure in time you’ll come to appeciate it here. You’ll certainly have more company after we launch our counter-attack.” Laughing, he left them to contemplate their fate.

The wounded Hussars (and one Space Lobster in a beaten-up Dragoon’s vacuum suit) stare around the chilly, ill-lit room, muttering to each other. One of the soldiers complained loudly enough to be heard by all, “This is it. Game over!”

“Nonsense!” a confident voice calls out from the corner of the room. All heads turn toward the speaker, a woman in a scorched Lieutenant’s uniform, as she steps foward. Half her head is swathed in bandages, but her one visible eye holds a determined gleam. “They wish us to lose heart. We shall not. Have no doubt. No matter how long it takes, or how many attempts, we will return to Weatherby someday. I swear it.”

~How that could happen is, of course, another tale for another time…~

12 Likes

5 Likes

Final results: Players’ Choice Awards!

The results are in! Without further ado:

Favorite Character Concept

A lot of variance in this category, but two character concepts in particular stand out.

The honorable mention goes to our Space Griffin, Aaaakzeee St-Patrick-Hartbrooke III (@nimelennar) - and the recognized favorite is none other than <pleasing hum> (@manwich)!

Favorite Character Development
Given all the great storytelling, everyone made a strong showing in this category. Although consensus was reached, totals were awful darn close across the board.

Honorable mentions in this category go to:

By a very slight edge, this recognition goes to @Donald_Petersen for the redoubtable story of Carcinogennifer Honeyvenom and Ssskidwish!

Favorite Redoubtable Event

I take it as a good sign that this category was all over the map. Everyone that voted found a favorite moment in very different parts of the journey, but we do emerge with a clear favorite in this category.

The Karaoke Duel to the Death between Aaaakzeee St-Patrick-Hartbrooke III (@nimelennar) and <pleasing hum> (@manwich) stole the show!

As Weatherby continues to recover, the workings of empire continue as New Prussia broods over the unexpected defeat. Summer blazes on as delighted citizens take to the parks and fields to indulge in the improbable badminton craze. One and all, the surviving members of the Leviathan club continue to work to cement their legacies in the histories yet to be written. At the track, Charybisque wins the latest contest by a snout.

For the moment at least, the future looks bright.

Fin.

10 Likes