Redoubtable Downtown Space Abbey - Turn 9 - Aisle Royale

But, of course, I’d be happy to walk you down the aisle. But, truly, I’m not giving you to [discreetly checking a card slipped in his sleeve] Qaaxtzl, it would seem more to the point you are taking young [glance] Qaaxtzl off of LT Brummel’s hands.

The investigation will come and it will go. Fingers and tongues will wag. Money will change hands and - IF- at the end of the day, a poor, orphaned squirrel who witnessed the murder of his own parents must be locked away to protect society, what can one do.

I trust you have properly vetted your own beloved? One hears things, but one can never trust the idle talk of servants…

11 Likes

The Antlers was the oldest Space Moose owned and operated restaurant on Weatherby. And while it was not uncommon to see other sentients dining there, most all of the patrons were Alces Astros to be sure. The decor was straight out of Nunavut V and Al Aska. The willow bark salad was fresh everyday and the Maple Bourbon was exquisite.

At a private booth near the back a party of two were about to start in on the fondue as a well dressed Scuridae Interplanetary slid up to the table.

“Please pardon my tardiness, Sir. I had some scheduling conflicts to resolve. Please give my thanks to Pierre for setting out this lovely suit.”

Hieronymoose noticed a slight swelling around his eye and his knuckles looked a tad raw.

"Of course, I asked him to make sure something appropriate was left out with all your other effects being boxed up now.

“But, I’m forgetting the purpose of this little dinner. Liz, this is my ward, Rockford Julius. Rockford, this is Ms. Heliograph my fiancé”

“Ms. Heliotrope, I’m charmed to finally make your acquaintance.”, chittered Rocco and he bowed slightly and kissed her hand.

“And it is my pleasure to finally meet you, Rockford. Or is it Rocco?”

“I find Rockford is more dignified. As I’ll be starting my Moosian Business Accumen courses shortly, I feel it is really who I am to be.”

"Studying for an MBA? How impressive. Hieron did you have anything to do with this?”

Hieron merely smiled as he stabbed a bit of rye bread to dip into the molten cheese.

After swallowing the cheesy morsel, Hieron dabbed at his lips with his napkin, “So glad to hear that you’ve opted to be a productive member of society, Rockford. Please, have a seat and join us.”

11 Likes

Rest assured, Qaaxtzl is a most studious, resourceful and cosmopolitan young space lizard. I am sure he will be nothing but a boon to the Farnsworth name.

11 Likes

Laraby stares at the information packet, wishing it could have come even just a week earlier. This is astounding stuff, but… “Is it true? Should we publish or…” He’s coming to the realisation that the Boss’ job was trickier than he’d imagined. “What would…”

“Nail it down, or what you can, anyway.” Skrrish rolls her eyes and flicks her tail annoyedly. “We obtained a report containing…” she frowns as though casting around for the right word. Then in a sudden seeming change of emotion, she casts her eyes downward and puts her hands over her snout, like she’s trying to hide.

“Stunning.” Hennesy broke in. New Prussia was his beat, after all. Especially rumours about New Prussia. “Stunning allegations involving Weatherby’s Ambassador to New Prussia @Donald_Petersen. Possible connections to notorious crime boss Captain Nixon – who is coincidentally based out of New Prussia, at the moment. As for the video evidence…” He glances over at Liv’s empty office. “I’m pretty sure that the boss would’ve said that’s a non-starter. ‘It’s a very old – one might say traditional – profession,’” he quotes, “‘and unless other crimes are taking place, the state – and indeed the media – have no businesses in the bedrooms of the people.’”

Would have?” Skrrish looks up again. “Have you… Do…”

“He’s been missing now for more than two weeks. Nobody’s heard anything from him.” Laraby looks at the young lizard, sadly. “Just after we ran an edition naming names of some of the most dangerous and violent people on this planet. We need to be realis…”

“Remember who you are talking about. He would not go quietly. No. He will be back. If not, they are not why. And then we go with the Plan.” She crosses her arms defiantly. She’ll look for clues herself, if she has to. She owes too much to let him go unavenged.

“All right. Fine. But in the meantime, we need to assume that we’re not the only paper that got a copy of this, and if the WST isn’t running it, the Flibbertigibbet probably will. So we’ll go with the money for now: both the Organised Crime connection and the campaign finance one. We’ll hold back from calling it treason, at the moment.” Laraby taps his fingers on the table. “I can use this as a reason for holding back another couple of days on the editorial on biased policing and the lack of progress on a case involving a prominent citizen, just in case you’re right and he doesn’t want a hue and cry on his tail, but only a couple of days.” Personally, he thinks she’s being overly hopeful. He’s not quite sure why. “But after that, we go forward. In the meantime, Hennesey, I want you to work with Netsup and Krohl, and the three of you try and get verification for anything in here. Including these video rumours… the boss might say it’s a non-starter, but if there are other crimes surrounding it,” or if you can get hold of these tapes, he thinks, “then that is something newsworthy.”

Hennesy looks slightly disappointed. “Yes, sir.” Laraby doesn’t seem to notice, and he can’t help but think Liv would have and would have had faith in him to do his job, not give it to the two most likely to steal his thunder.

“Right, we’ve also got this Catalufa file…”

“Mondo,” Skrrish says. “The old Mondo gang… Captain N…”

“You’re right!” Hennesy taps the Catafula report. “Captain Nixon’s running the old Mondo gang! We’ve got the letter to @Ssskidwish – who is the Ambassador’s ward – and then the attack and sudden death of a young sentient who may have stumbled into something.”

“Let’s not get ahead of ourselves,” Laraby warns. “We’ll run with this, but let’s be careful at drawing too many conclusions. As the Boss said: when it comes to unsubstantiated stories, he who has the best lawyers always wins.” As for why Liv then hired a physician, Laraby isn’t sure.

11 Likes