RIP. We'll miss you

A roundup of those who made a notable difference to the world and have now moved on.

7 Likes
18 Likes
17 Likes

Holy shit. Him too?

4 Likes

Uh huh. What a day.

3 Likes

To me he will always be “Leonard.”

7 Likes

He’s always Commander Koenig to me, for better or worse. I grew up with Space:1999. I finally subjected the little ones to the pilot episode about a month ago. There was some ambivalence about it, but agreement that the theme music was amazing.

10 Likes

In retrospect, it was kind of like “Alien: The TV Series,” in terms of the creepy mood and the dire situation and it being a bunch of American actors on a British show.

I don’t know if it was really scary or if it would seem comical now. I was a little kid at the time.

3 Likes

7 Likes

I wouldn’t say that it was scary, but it was suspenseful and had the seriousness turned up to eleven. But I liked that a lot of this was in service to the stories - that working in space is dangerous even without other drama happening. The production design and miniatures work still blows me away. IIRC it was a combined UK/US/Italian production. The second season is IMO pretty bad, as they decided to try making it more “kid friendly” in various misguided ways.

3 Likes

I loved the way that in every episode of Mission Impossible he was, through the clever use of make up, made to look like Martin Landau

8 Likes

Perhaps this was his grandfather:

4 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes
7 Likes

Robin Williams would’ve been 66 today. i still can’t believe he’s gone.

9 Likes

The io9 article has this scene that reminds me that sometimes the old Doctor Who shows had some pretty poignant writing.

7 Likes

Bobby Taylor, of Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers, has passed, age 83, of cancer.

That’s Tommy Chong as the relatively-lacking-in-melanin Vancouver pic above. Far out, man.

Bobby Taylor solo soul:

Fun fact: A group won a talent show prize to open for Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers in a Chicago Show. That group: the Jackson Five.

7 Likes

https://www.google.com/amp/www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/07/june-foray-obit/amp

15 Likes
3 Likes