RIP. We'll miss you

I have dreading this day happening for nearly two years.

6 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes

what an incredible life he had. i didn’t realize he had been fighting Hodgkins since he left microsoft in 1983!

6 Likes

My dad insisted that we have this dish at Thanksgiving. He loved it.

9 Likes

we still make it, too. it’s a classic.

7 Likes

I lived two decades before I knew such a thing existed.

Can’t say I missed much. I know the whole tradition thing, but either no one I know has made it right or I’m just not partial to it.

4 Likes

I think you have to grow up with it. I didn’t either, so like you, I don’t understand the appeal.

6 Likes

No offense to Ms. Reilly, but… first you cook the green beans, then you bake them with the other ingredients for another 30 minutes? Isn’t that kind of overkill?

I could see trying this but putting the beans in raw or frozen though. I go for midcentury sometimes. I have a chicken divan recipe from the 60s I make sometimes (throwing the broccoli in raw).

6 Likes

These days, I’d likely partially steam them in my rice cooker before adding them to the casserole, in an effort to counteract mushiness.

6 Likes

It is definitely a midwest thing. I have made it for myself as I am the only one in the house that likes it.

8 Likes

We always used canned green beans.

@TobinL My dad was midwestern - Missouri. He really loved all those cream soup based casseroles. We ate a lot of those growing up.

7 Likes

The poor guy… I know what that is like. Anyway it is the french fried onions on top that make it. I made a passable tuna noodle casserole (it was a regrettable food party) that was tasty because I used those instead of potato chips.

7 Likes

My mom was a master of baking, and made a few casseroles in her day. She made a good green bean casserole (not too much gravy/sauce). Her mac & cheese was the best, though. Her foods were always consumed completely at pot-luck dinners. My dad was pastor, so you might imagine how many casseroles I’ve eaten in my youth.

9 Likes

You didn’t call them “hotdish”, so we know you’re not from the upper Midwest!

8 Likes

You will get serious hairy side eye saying “hot dish” in Wisconsin or Michigan. It’s a Minnesota-ism I never could adopt. They can keep it along with “rubber binder” and “duck, duck, grey duck”.

10 Likes

With relatives in MN, WI, and MI, I get confused all the time!

7 Likes

I’d seach those phrases, but I’m scared to

6 Likes

“Duck, Duck, Grey Duck” is how they do “Duck, Duck, Goose” in MN. I don’t think anyone truly knows why.

And a rubber binder is just a rubber band.

8 Likes