RIP. We'll miss you

No offense to Ms. Reilly, but… first you cook the green beans, then you bake them with the other ingredients for another 30 minutes? Isn’t that kind of overkill?

I could see trying this but putting the beans in raw or frozen though. I go for midcentury sometimes. I have a chicken divan recipe from the 60s I make sometimes (throwing the broccoli in raw).

6 Likes

These days, I’d likely partially steam them in my rice cooker before adding them to the casserole, in an effort to counteract mushiness.

6 Likes

It is definitely a midwest thing. I have made it for myself as I am the only one in the house that likes it.

8 Likes

We always used canned green beans.

@TobinL My dad was midwestern - Missouri. He really loved all those cream soup based casseroles. We ate a lot of those growing up.

7 Likes

The poor guy… I know what that is like. Anyway it is the french fried onions on top that make it. I made a passable tuna noodle casserole (it was a regrettable food party) that was tasty because I used those instead of potato chips.

7 Likes

My mom was a master of baking, and made a few casseroles in her day. She made a good green bean casserole (not too much gravy/sauce). Her mac & cheese was the best, though. Her foods were always consumed completely at pot-luck dinners. My dad was pastor, so you might imagine how many casseroles I’ve eaten in my youth.

9 Likes

You didn’t call them “hotdish”, so we know you’re not from the upper Midwest!

8 Likes

You will get serious hairy side eye saying “hot dish” in Wisconsin or Michigan. It’s a Minnesota-ism I never could adopt. They can keep it along with “rubber binder” and “duck, duck, grey duck”.

10 Likes

With relatives in MN, WI, and MI, I get confused all the time!

7 Likes

I’d seach those phrases, but I’m scared to

6 Likes

“Duck, Duck, Grey Duck” is how they do “Duck, Duck, Goose” in MN. I don’t think anyone truly knows why.

And a rubber binder is just a rubber band.

8 Likes

I would not be surprised if it is because geese are assholes.

9 Likes

That’s why you’re trying to outrun it!

7 Likes

Heckuva lot more Canada geese in Michigan than in Minnesota.

5 Likes
6 Likes
12 Likes

Wow. What an obituary.

7 Likes

She seems like she was a total badass.

5 Likes

hard to believe, in some ways.

14 Likes

Oh no.

Some people are just meant to live forever, and Stan was one of them. I always read his Soapbox column as a kid, every Marvel comic I got, and he was always remarkably inclusive, even to 8 year old girl me. Yet he always made you feel like an insider.

I hope for true believers he’ll always be with us.

Excelsior.

16 Likes