RIP. We'll miss you

i agree. he was one of those people who always seemed like he was going to be there forever. i’m most worried now about his estate, and who controls his creations. he had such a crazy year or so since his wife died, and it seems like a lot of people with questionable motives were trying to control him and what happened with all that. i fear it’s going to get very very ugly from here on out.

12 Likes

9 Likes

His voice was perfect.

12 Likes

4 Likes

For those who think Hee Haw was the pinnacle of his skill, here’s what this man could do…WITH A STEEL STRING guitar, no less.

13 Likes

i was fortunate to have seen him once, in the 90s. i knew about him and Hee Haw before that, but i wasn’t a fan before seeing him. i was after. he was SO good and fast, and such a personable, engaging performer, there was no way i could NOT be.

such a loss… between him and Glen Campbell, we’ve now lost probably the two biggest old country-style music greats we had left.

8 Likes

I honestly thought he had died years ago.

This sucks, I remember watching him on Hee Haw back in the day.

Damn!!!

6 Likes

Clark was amazing with guitars and banjos. I remember seeing him on TV doing a very fast number where, at one point, he would detune a string, play one note, and then tune it back again. Amazing! I wish I could find it somewhere on Google or YouTube, but no luck.

RIP, Roy.

7 Likes

Something of a character, but quite the influence:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/wolfgang-zuckermann-whose-diy-kit-fueled-a-harpsichord-revival-dies-at-96/2018/11/14/9a99b7e4-e820-11e8-bbdb-72fdbf9d4fed_story.html

3 Likes

this is a crappy video, but it’s still so good you can (mostly) forgive it:

9 Likes

Here’s another – 12th Street Rag:

He always seemed to find something new to do with the guitar, and have fun doing it.
10 Likes

omg, those faces he makes – he’s adorable. and another thing i like about his playing is that he isn’t afraid to let on how much FUN he’s having.

6 Likes

I guess it comes with also being a comedian?

2 Likes

he was a comedian, too? i knew about being a boxer. (unless you’re referring to Hee Haw, which was a comedy show, so in that case maybe, but it just seems like he was always that jovial.)

5 Likes

I remeber when he guest starred on the Beverly Hillbillies as “Cousin Roy.”

7 Likes

Yeah, I guess I mostly know him from HH, but also from other shows of the time, where generally humor was in good supply.

3 Likes
16 Likes

this week just won’t let up : (

8 Likes

William Goldman wrote Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid? TIL.

9 Likes

How tragic. Truly, not even the great S. Morgenstern’s death will be so mourned by those of Florinese heritage. His abridgement, and subsequent film adaptation, of The Princess Bride will stand as monuments in their own right, beyond what Morgenstern himself accomplished.

14 Likes