6 Likes

wow, this is sad:

10 Likes

I was just coming to post that!!!

spongebob-made-it-with-tears

12 Likes

we think alike. your GIF is perfect : (

9 Likes

It’s a great cartoon. Without Spongebob, I don’t think you get the current landscape of really interesting stuff that’s out there for kids (Stephen Universe, Adventure Time, She-Ra, etc). He truly influenced the culture and 57 is pretty young to shuffle off this mortal coil.

12 Likes

being 51 myself, i definitely agree with you, lol. and yes, like Kricfalusi, he totally changed cartoons and the (U.S.) culture at the very least.

8 Likes
13 Likes

Dammit. I was worried when his son stopped going about how the hospital visit was going.

He had so much more to do.

10 Likes
6 Likes

Sidebar headline: “Trump praises the life of George H.W. Bush”.

Back when Reagan was Cowboy Actor in Chief, I worried about GHWB becoming the big boss, fearing that he was too sinister and ambitious to take power.
Despite Bush’s flaws, he turned out to be much better and more capable than the old fraud Reagan.

It’s a pretty sad commentary on recent politics that I can look back on GHWB with fond nostalgia, wishing that we had someone of his caliber in the White House today.

I’m curious to see how tRump will be remembered in a couple of decades.

8 Likes

94 is a ripe old age, but i for one will not miss him.

10 Likes

Amen to the Baby Jesus on that one. :facepunch:

8 Likes

This thread is full of artists, actors, activists, and academics whose gestures made lasting if small impressions on those around them, so that even strangers might sigh for their passing. I think people who can honestly be described as war criminal probably deserve a separate roster.

12 Likes

Isn’t that what this is for:

8 Likes

Done. With extra sass. And with Anger in its category.

6 Likes

Obituaries present George H. W. Bush as the last of the Republican moderates. In reality, he was an archetypal representative of the modern party, a man whose sense of duty failed him when it came to resisting the rise of racially revanchist, libertarian forces. He embodied an Establishment that wrote very nice thank-you notes. But good manners are hardly the same as moral courage; prudence is sometimes hard-hearted. Those who are mourning the passing of the old Establishment should mourn its many failures, too.

10 Likes

One by one the stars are going out.

8 Likes