RIP. We'll miss you

ugh, this one hurts.

5 Likes

I liked what Cory wrote about him there. That was thoughtful and fair.

And I’m gonna miss the venomous old bastard. I have to think he finally just gave up and expired in disgust at it all.

7 Likes

I miss Cory too…

6 Likes

Nah. Not so much him. His writing never did a whole lot for me.

6 Likes

I was also there when

he humiliated a respected woman colleague in front of all of her peers.

I just don’t like his style of writing. I’d rather the story be told clearly, as was done by his friend, Asimov. I recall a memorial service for Asimov when he died – Ellison called in, and when someone said “Would you like to say a few words about Isaac?”, he said “Who?” Now that was pretty funny, and something Asimov would have appreciated.

6 Likes

For his fiction? Yeah, totally with you there.

But I absolutely worship the two Glass Teat books. And now, times being what they are, they’re a precious capsule into a very pertinent moment in history.

They’re also a great illustration of a man who was all for equal rights for women… and completely unable to connect that to changing his own behaviour.

5 Likes

Suntrust park killed someone. Now perhaps people will believe me when I say it’s a place of evil.

1 Like
11 Likes

Amazing woman. I’m glad she got to live a good long life, and that her passing is getting the international recognition it deserves.

4 Likes
3 Likes
11 Likes

their marketing works. i say “roll that beautiful bean footage” and look for their beans every time i buy a can of them.

5 Likes

I was never a huge Spider-Man fan, but I read enough comics as a kid to know who Steve Ditko was.

I had no idea he was an objectivist, though. I generally try to separate the art from the artist, but that’s one of those things that I find it extremely hard to not be judgmental about.

8 Likes

In the sixties and seventies it was a safe way to signal a dislike for the way society works… when one was really young and naive about who the real enemy is. Later reflection is always the real test. He kinda failed it.

6 Likes

That’s a context that was before my time, but I can kind of see it. For most of my adult life, “objectivist” has been a synonym for “selfish asshole”, but I will admit to some confusion in my youth.

For example, I really enjoyed L. Neil Smith’s The Probability Broach the first time I read it. I was less impressed when I figured out it was a thinly veiled riff on Rand, though. Substituting “Propertarian” for “Objectivist” was a little too on the nose for my tastes.

On the other hand, even as a punk kid, I was already hip to her bullshit on some level. One of the first school papers I can remember being proud of writing was an essay/book report entitled “Anthem or Anathema?” Probably not as insightful as I remember it, but I thought it was pretty clever at the time, I’m sure.

Honestly, though, my distaste for Rand is as much literary as philosophical. I can probably count on one hand the number of (fiction) books I’ve started and not finished, and Atlas Shrugged was definitely one of those books. Fuck a sixty page monologue, you know what I mean? She just was not a very good writer.

OK, that’s enough of my off-topic ranting.

Ditko definitely did some interesting and influential work at Marvel. Like I said earlier, I was never a big Spider-Man fan, but I find Doctor Strange (what little I’ve read) so much more entertaining as an adult than I ever did as a kid. It’s just such a trippy book.

7 Likes

I knew that.

It’s basically why Alan Moore tried to write Rorschach as a repulsive right-wing loon in Watchmen.

SEE ALSO: Batman writer Alan Grant.

7 Likes

Frank Miller too

6 Likes
7 Likes

Jonathan Gold, a beloved food critic turned champion of mom-and-pop restaurants in L.A. According to the woman who just served me a Rainier. Of course I barely knew Anthony Bourdain existed before he died, but I’m going to read Gold’s columns and see what’s there.

4 Likes
12 Likes