RIP. We'll miss you

Yeah I haven’t seen any news. The whole Kate Spade with a scarf thing really was gruesome enough for this week. I was literally seeing it like this kind of scarf.

1 Like

my worry is that it was NOT suicide, but just a simple mistake and overdose as a result of a new (and stronger) medication, or mixing with another drug or alcohol after a night out. or all the above at once.

5 Likes

I wondered that as well. The reporting is all sourced to CNN but I didn’t hear where specifically CNN knows it from. I’ve just heard what’s been on NPR all day (listening at work) but I expect it will be some time before any details come out anyway. They replayed his 2016 Fresh Air interview, which is worth a listen even if you heard it originally like I did.

I mean, I guess I just want it to not be suicide. I know he had a dark side (to put it mildly) but he seemed so grounded in the positive. In the Fresh Air interview, you hear a glimmer of pure joy when he talks about his daughter.

He was basically the great American essayist of our time, which of course means he was a TV personality.

Edit to say I don’t mean to imply that it would be a good thing if it was a mistake, neither result is good, I just hope that he wasn’t suffering the way e.g. Robin Williams was (which is part of why his death was so hard to take).

7 Likes

yeah, i don’t want it to be suicide, either, because i know someone who killed himself, and decades on i’m still trying to understand it… and this is someone i knew quite well, and i never expected it. suicide is so horrible, and it leaves scars on those left behind that sometimes do not go away. i am not someone who suffers from depression, thankfully, and i know that he had his struggles, but i really hope that he wasn’t in such a dark place and nobody knew about it. i would prefer it to be a horrible accident, rather than a conscious decision.

EDIT: ugh, the prosecutor in france this morning confirmed that it was suicide by hanging. no other sign of foul play. they are now returning his body to his family. so senseless, so awful.

10 Likes

No, that’s just where my jet-lagged and very tired and angry brain went to when I saw ‘suicide by hanging’ on wikipedia. Because a senseless accident would be slightly easier to understand and accept than a deliberate, conscious act, you know?

8 Likes

I can’t say I know too much about her, but she weren’t no Bond girl, she were a Bond woman.

6 Likes
7 Likes

https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2018/06/09/530726928/lorraine-gordon-guardian-of-legendary-jazz-club-dies-at-95?utm_campaign=storyshare&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social

7 Likes

Well, damn! Another of the heroes of my youth gone…

With Colosseum:

With Colosseum II:

With Tempest and Jack Bruce.

5 Likes

Damn. Where have these guys been all my life? :sunglasses:

Actually, I first heard of the band years and years ago, but they were a few years before my time – and I don’t think I would have liked them back then.

Listening to “Those Who Are About To Die Salute You” on YouTube.

Thanks!

5 Likes

They’ve been in the background, because they weren’t really about being big rock stars. They all started with the same bands (Mayall, Bond, Georgie Fame, Alexis Korner and so forth), pretty much splitting between (and fusing) jazz, blues and pop, they’re all pros to the fingertips, and they’re all now dropping like flies. :frowning:

This seems appropriate. Of Colosseum II, the only one still alive is Don Airey. Hiseman, Gary Moore, John Mole, they’re a’ deid. :frowning:

3 Likes

Shall I outlive my heroes or have them outlive me? :thinking:

“Lament” is a really nice piece. I usually like more uptempo music but this is really good playing.

5 Likes

We were all supposed to be immortal (at least, that’s how it seems when you’re in your teens and twenties, as when I first encountered Colosseum and Colosseum II respectively).

Yeah, the skills of the group were really good. The guitarist here is the late Gary Moore, ex-Thin Lizzy, later with BBM (Bruce-Baker-Moore), mainly solo - to my mind a criminally underrated performer. His work with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker doing very Cream-like material led me to believe he may have been better than Clapton.

4 Likes

Oh, quite possibly. Fame ≠ talent.

5 Likes
5 Likes
17 Likes

Oh no!!!

4 Likes
5 Likes

He died doing what he loved.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/06/28/inventor-who-made-ballpark-beer-flow-freely-pulled-lifeless-from-cooler-at-atlanta-braves-stadium/?utm_term=.9b694bf8ec41

7 Likes

As seen on That Other Place:

10 Likes