Here is a great remembrance in the Atlantic:

4 Likes

That’s not what I needed

9 Likes

A good writeup of his career.

7 Likes

I would recognize this woman’s voice in just a couple of words. RIP

13 Likes

Terrible. I always perked up hearing her voice in recent years when I’d catch her on NPR. If she was talking, it was probably something I should listen to. You don’t get that often anymore it seems.

9 Likes

She always seemed down to earth, but also had a full command of recent US history, and could contextualize masterfully.

11 Likes

Loved her. Her mom was my college graduation speaker.

5 Likes

i always looked forward to her segments on NPR. her deep knowledge and the way she explained things was so… comforting, somehow.

4 Likes
10 Likes

Hunter’s storytelling and his protagonists were unmistakably American, just as his set of central tenets was universal. This was not blue-collar, postwar Americana, but it required the grit and craft and character of the frontier spirit, a certain knowledge of the country’s dark, violent history (including its Nixon/Vietnam present), but also an impulsive trust in the absurd as espoused by the Pranksters. Blind hope was for those who’d never see it come to fruition, […]

I predict I will be listening a bit more closely to the lyrics the next time I get on a Grateful Dead kick.

4 Likes

I know we have DS9 fans around here, who might not find anything new in this post, but I appreciate Wil Wheaton’s perspective on life, depression (not really mentioned here, just generally) and Star Trek.

16 Likes

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing that. I too love how he shares his own struggles with his readers.

7 Likes
11 Likes
5 Likes

Note: This one is difficult to figure which obit thread to slot it in. Ginger was not a nice man. He was, however, an important drummer.

11 Likes

Well that was one of the most hedged obituaries I ever read.

I knew a guy in college who was like this. He was really good on guitar but almost no band would play with him because he was the most awful human.

9 Likes

Here’s some of his work with Fela:

4 Likes
7 Likes

God finally got him.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bill-macy-dead-maude-husband-922206?fbclid=IwAR1ZZLkPQ419HZtP3nRt94z1nbxwGaMFATOWdK_-WyfFLi4Y1h6iAIY8jd4

6 Likes