RIP. We'll miss you

5 Likes
4 Likes
9 Likes
6 Likes

Not surprisingly, an obit in the New Yorker as well.

7 Likes

Neil Gaiman, too:

5 Likes

I bought Gahan Wilson’s 50 Years of Playboy Cartoons when it first came out. It’s a wonderful collection. I can’t believe what it’s going for now.

3 Likes
4 Likes

I thought of you immediately when I read this on another site! Amazing life, and of course for you and me the opera part of his career path was most notable.

3 Likes

<sigh> They’re dropping like flies today.

7 Likes

Living in the US such as I do, I was always grateful for the opportunity to see or hear Clive James.

3 Likes

A few highlights:

“All I can do is turn a phrase until it catches the light. There was a time when I got hot under the collar if the critics said I had nothing new to say. Now I realise that they had a point. My field is the self-evident. Everything I say is obvious, although I like to think that some of the obvious things I have said were not so obvious until I said them.” May Week Was in June, 1990

“The sure sign of a weak man who ascends to glory is that he can’t tolerate having strong men around him.” North Face of Soho, 2006

“It makes no sense whatsoever to call the perpetrators of the Holocaust ‘the Germans’ if by that is meant that the German victims of Naziism - including many Jews who went on regarding themselves as Germans to the end of the line - somehow weren’t Germans at all. That’s what the Nazis thought, and to echo their harebrained typology is to concede them their victory.” As Of This Writing, 2003

9 Likes
10 Likes

They couldn’t even fucking PROOF this
fercrissakes!

12 Likes

Maybe they were crying while they were typing. I know I would be.

What an icon.

5 Likes

Yup, we had the paperback adaptations of her stories from ST:OS, plus anthologies containing her works. My family was big into SF, though Mom really liked only the works of Ursula LeGuin and Anne McCarffrey.

5 Likes

Supersad
 KC Hunter in the DS9 episode Far Beyond the Stars was based on her (partially).

10 Likes

For all of us who grew up on Sesame Street, this is a sad day.

13 Likes
12 Likes

Aw
 that really sucks, especially right on the heels of DC Fontana’s death

broadchurch-sad

10 Likes