RIP. We'll miss you

Things people don’t remember about Playboy Enterprises:

1. Playboy Magazine had the most generous payments to fiction authors. A forty-year fiction anthology published in 1994 contained selections from Joyce Carol Oates, Nadine Gordimer, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, James Baldwin, John Cheever, John Updike among others.

2. Playboy Enterprises published GAMES Magazine from its inception in 1977 to 1987. As a preteen, I subscribed to GAMES Magazine at that time as did several registered Elsewhere Cafe users and BB refugees.

3. Hugh Hefner also published a short-lived humor magazine edited by former MAD Magazine contributing editor Harvey Kurtzman, which published contributions by Mel Brooks, and had MAD artists Al Jaffee, Arnold Roth, Bill Elder and Jack Davis on the payroll.

4. Christie Hefner, one-time CEO and chairperson of Playboy Enterprises, worked to elevate women in the workplace.

6 Likes

Monty, you can take the five thousand no-longer-in-circulation pennies for your eyes, or you can choose from what’s behind coffin 1, 2, or 3! What’s it going to be?

Monte Halparin, OC OM (August 25, 1921 – September 30, 2017), better known by the stage name Monty Hall, was a Canadian-American game show host and producer, best known as the long-running host of “Let’s Make a Deal”.

11 Likes

Ahhhhh.

I loved watching the original Let’s Make a Deal episodes last Summer on the Buzzer Network. I never saw them before — I grew up during the New Let’s Make a Deal era of the early 80s. Watching him work the audience through the deals was truely amazing.

5 Likes

He gonna make a deal wit’ his Maker! HA!

I loved his version of the show. And he never had any scandals, did he?

4 Likes

I KNOW, right? And ALL that polyester and hair spray! And the crap the women have in their purses!

The ultimate tribute:

2 Likes

Well “Beat the Clock” was pretty embarrassing.

4 Likes

That was a remake of a show from the 1950s. I meant like, you know, outside children, orgies, a glue habit - stuff like that. BTC is just an embarrassment, not a scandal.

2 Likes

His daughter Joanna Gleason appeared on “Hello, Larry.” Aside from that, maybe an unpaid parking ticket from the District of North Vancouver when he hosted “LMaD” reboot at Brooksbank Studios, maybe a cameo appearance on “Jennifer Slept Here”, I got nothin’.

When he arrives from his long journey, will be reprise the Glen Campbell Sweepstakes?

Monty promotes Bay Day! The Hudson’s Bay Company is just a smidgen older than Monty!

5 Likes

4 Likes

2 Likes

Our family friend Howard Cruse drew cartoons for Playboy and wrote about his experience with that.

Probably useful to mention that he has been for many years drawing primarily for the gay crowd, but he was young guy just getting started when he worked for Playboy.

http://www.howardcruse.com/howardsite/wurdz/rabbitmaw/index.html

This is what he is best known for - it was on BB’s Christmas suggestions list a few years back. https://www.amazon.com/Stuck-Rubber-Baby-Howard-Cruse/dp/1563892553/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1506967283&sr=8-2&keywords=howard+cruse

4 Likes

Tom Petty is no longer with us.

6 Likes

Just saw the news. Crap.

3 Likes

Reuters is now saying that TMZ jumped the gun, and that he is “clinging to life.” i hope it’s true, because part of me thinks he’d really enjoy having a Mark Twain type of incident on his list of life achievements.

8 Likes

I love Gahan Wilson’s cartoons from Playboy. There’s a boxed set of them available.

2 Likes

it was a breaking news banner just now, so I would think it’s confimed.

5 Likes

yeah. sigh.

last i heard, he was “clinging to life,” but that they had a “do not resuscitate” order, so they just had to wait.

3 Likes

According to the Guardian and the Age, it’s been confirmed by his manager.

Between this and the Vegas massacre, today can’t end quickly enough. I’ve gone back to bed hoping to speed its demise.

7 Likes

His own website says RIP now.

7 Likes

I remember this video had a lot of flak for the drug imagery despite that being sort of the whole thing about Alice in Wonderland.

Now it’s viewed as gross for the dissection of Alice (As a form of violence against women, which also misses the point but at least their heart is in the right place) and no one gives a shit about the drugginess.

In some ways this is hopeful since it implies that, despite the most powerful nations in the world being under the domination of its worst citizens, people are getting better. Even American right wingers are coming around on the gay marriage issue, for example.

This might all be pulled out of my ass.

4 Likes