RIP. We'll miss you

I have read elsewhere that American poet Richard Wilbur has died. Here is a link to my favourite poem of his, “The Writer.” I remember walking to the Minoru branch of the Richmond Library to photocopy it, the same day I last saw my grandmother alive, when we were at a sports event my brother participated in. “Here’s a kiss in case I don’t see you,” she said. I had a Smith-Corona typewriter and an active imagination as a young teen.

5 Likes

Sean Hughes, (English-born) Irish comedian, actor and novelist, age 51, of cirrhosis.

I knew of Sean from early episodes of “Never Mind the Buzzcocks”, with Mark Lamarr and Bill Bailey, and from a screen adaptation of Spike Milligan’s Puckoon.

full first episode of “Sean’s Show”, Series 2

4 Likes

news article:

Wasn’t Bill Bailey his replacement as team captain? Phill Jupitus was the other captain.

3 Likes

John Dunsworth was best known for the portrayal of pixilated Sunnyvale Trailer Park manager Jim Lahey on the popular “Trailer Park Boys” television show and movies.

2 Likes

Gord Downie, Canada’s everyman rock poet, dead at 53

I admit I was never the biggest Tragically Hip fan, but I respect the impact they and Downie have had musically, culturally, and politically.

8 Likes

The Irish Rover was the song that got him an invitation to being a full member of the Dubliners.

4 Likes

Darn: Robert Guillaume. But at 89, at least that was a full life.

8 Likes

Argh! I demand a recount!

(Maybe not the best line to reference, but he delivered it so beautifully.)

2 Likes

Fats Domino died the same day as Robert Guillame. Was the same age, too, according to wikipedia.

7 Likes
7 Likes
4 Likes

He had a way with words.

3 Likes

My nephew died today. He had epidermolysis bullosa, a debilitating genetic skin condition. I’m hoping it’s okay to post here, because he was technically a minor celebrity in Kansas due to the rarity/severity of his type within the disorder.

Being in more closely guarded company here at EC, I want to make it known that he is the son of the brother I vehemently dislike. However, I love my nephews and nieces. I can’t attend the funeral, but that’s ok. It makes things less complicated that way.

This is a video made a couple of years ago, a few months after his bone marrow transplant and chemotherapy. He was experiencing some improvement and cellular change, but his immune system was too compromised to fight off infection, and at this time I think he succumbed to pneumonia, though he had an infectious growth ouside his lung, and the cancer that took his forearm was spreading.
His hands and feet had been wrapped every day since he was born, because his type of the disorder cause his fingers and toes to contract, and the webbing to fuse together.
It’s interesting to look back and notice little things in this video, like how he and I had the same whorl in our hair, on the crowns of our heads.

20 Likes

:frowning:

5 Likes

my condolences. : (

5 Likes

Condolences to you and your family. I, too, have nephews and nieces who I adore but whose parents I dislike, so I think I understand some of your pain.

8 Likes

Rest in Peace.

6 Likes

So sorry to hear that, but I’m glad you have good memories of him.

4 Likes

Wow. My condolences.

I cannot even imagine what his life would have been like, both because of the severity of his condition and because of how rare it is.

He was 26 years old? He looks much younger here.

7 Likes

I’m very sorry to hear this. My condolences.

5 Likes