RIP. We'll miss you

He had an interesting life.

7 Likes

I have to dig it up, but a guy wrote a poem fit me based on his name. Music majors.

3 Likes

Not familiar with her work, but fascinating:

3 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes

Dying of pneumonia right now makes me question his certainty that it wasn’t covid-19 related. She could have been asymptomatic until the lungs were affected.

6 Likes

Perhaps, but our hospitals would check - the last thing they want is CoV galloping around the wards. We had a resident in the building taken to the hospital a few weeks ago for pneumonia and heart problems. He was sent home after a week to make sure that he didn’t catch COVID-19. It’s a pretty safe bet they checked him. Anyone entering a hospital who has fever and lung problems is being checked - in fact, everyone entering is being screened. (I have an appointment with my oncologist in 10 days at the General. It should be interesting.)

7 Likes

Well, that is interesting. I got a phone call this morning. My appointment is going to be done on the phone.

6 Likes

How will the blood draw work?

4 Likes

Dunno. I’ll be phoning (probably tomorrow) to see if the Cancer Centre lab is open. I would much rather go through the hospital’s screening than take my chances with a private lab. The one nearest me has a rather tight waiting room.

5 Likes

So much more than Goldfinger.

6 Likes

Well, shit. I have a hole in my heart. I can’t make the words come right now to properly eulogize him. I will miss him.

9 Likes

god DAMN this virus. he was already not well, and when the news broke that he was hospitalized because of coronavirus, i thought… oh shit… no no no no no… and held my breath. but in my heart, i knew he was already not strong and his health was not strong… this one hurts so badly. John Prine’s music opened up my world.

“Ten times what it grieves ya — that’s how much I hate to leave ya.”

oh, John, i hope not, because that’s a biggun indeed.

5 Likes

I grew up with his artwork. I didn’t know a lot of girls who read MAD, and if they did, they didn’t admit it. But his caricatures were just the best.

8 Likes

I love his satires of TV shows and movies (with various writers, I guess). Some favorite ones that stick in my mind are Star Blech and Mission: Ridiculous – his caricatures of Kirk, Spock, and Rollin Hand were terrific.

6 Likes

A person in my professional sphere died in an accident this week. He was never anything but nice to me … but harassed a number of women I know. He was a hurt person who hurt people. I have a hard time mourning him, but I feel that this person’s life is an example of what happens when we abdicate our responsibilities to kids. He suffered, and other people suffered for it, and I hope I can do better raising my son.

13 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

In Memoriam: John Horton Conway
:cry:

11 Likes

Can we at least send his ashes out with a glider gun?

5 Likes