RIP. We'll miss you

Phyllis George died today.

3 Likes

My favorite of his films:

The 4 hour version is far superior to the shorter Divertimento version.

3 Likes

An actor who was so ubiquitous that he was easy to overlook.

2 Likes

Before his 20th birthday, the young drummer, who modeled himself after Max Roach and Kenny Clarke, was already getting high-profile gigs. Cobb played with Billie Holiday during a stint in D.C., and eventually in Symphony Sid’s traveling show, where he spent a week alongside Charlie Parker and Miles Davis — making him one of the last musicians able to say that they’d played with Bird and Lady Day.

Cobb never shied from his status as a living link to the music’s venerable past, instead emphasizing what he viewed as a lifetime of good luck. “I’ve been in the right place at the right time a lot of times,” he said. “[But today] things are more mechanical than human, than they used to be. [Students today] got some advantages, because they have videos and all that, but it’s not walking up and shaking the dude’s hand and talking about things, or asking him questions.”

4 Likes

https://www.metopera.org/user-information/in-memoriam-joel-revzen/

3 Likes

This makes me sad. I love The Met.

3 Likes
3 Likes
7 Likes

Act up was brilliant.

3 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

Vera Lynn’s success continued well into peacetime and, in 1952, she became the first British artist to have a number one hit in America with the song Auf Wiedersehen, Sweetheart.

She never retired and was always happy to move in new directions, notably with a cover of Abba’s Thank You For The Music. However, it was plain that the public, including those born long after the war, wanted to hear her perform her classic songs.

In 2009, at the age of 92, Lynn became the oldest living artist to top the British album chart, outselling both the Arctic Monkeys and the Beatles, with whom she shared the top 10.

The singer had a realistic approach to her fame. “I don’t live in the past,” she once said, “even though I have never been allowed to forget it.”

3 Likes
3 Likes

Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?
Remember how she said that
We would meet again
Some sunny day?
Vera, Vera
What has become of you
Does anybody else in here
Feel the way I do?

2 Likes

2 Likes

A very talented director. I don’t know why people are still obsessed with Batman And Robin.

1 Like

Well, it’s not as great on repeat viewing, but B&R was hilarious at first. I haven’t seen too many others from him, but they mostly didn’t enthrall me. I thought Falling Down was great, but doubt I would be as enthused now.

ETA: Although, he did write Car Wash. Maybe his real gift was screenwriting.

2 Likes

Well, he did also write the screen adaptation of The Wiz. So his career had its ups and downs.

1 Like

I’ve watched it entirely too many times in my younger days. Can’t say I’d enjoy it any more.

Yes. You are the bad guy.

3 Likes
3 Likes