RIP. We'll miss you

2 Likes

ohh, my condolences to you and yours.

7 Likes

That explains a Narz man sitting next to Brett Somers from Match Game 74 episodes 231-235. Tom Kennedy had been there in earlier episodes.

Do you watch the 1970s Match Game episodes on YouTube? A week or two ago Dick DeBartolo himself (MG’s ‘blank’ writer, MAD Magazine) appeared on an evening livestream. He even acknowledged me when I told him I heard his guest episode of Gilbert Gottfried’s Amazing Colossal Podcast. My family found Match Game to be a comfort time capsule these last few months.

5 Likes

Oh yes! I grew up watching them, with my late mom! And when we got GSN, of course we watched the reruns!

And I grew up reading MAD and just about all the Fawcett paperbacks that were and weren’t anthologies. Paul Coker, Jr, is still alive, too! And I saw Dick on a TV doco about the show, filmed (I think) just before Gene Rayburn died. Also, found this:
Mad film parodies
Like many of his colleagues, Coker occasionally illustrated film and TV parodies. Based on scripts by Dick DeBartolo he spoofed such movies like ‘Arachnaphobia’ (issue #301, March 1991), ‘Star Trek V’ and ‘VI’ (issue #83, September 1992), ‘Star Trek: First Contact’ (issue #352, December 1996) and ‘Jurassic Park 2: The Lost World’ (issue #361, September 1997). Together with Stan Hart he lampooned ‘Casper’ (issue #340, October 1995) and Arnie Kogen wrote the parody of ‘Twister’ (issue #349, September 1996).

Mad TV parodies
In the field of television he and DeBartolo tackled the sitcoms ‘Frasier’ (issue #329, July 1994) and ‘Sabrina: Teenage Witch’ (issue #381, May 1999), while Coker and Josh Gordon ridiculed ‘Caroline In The City’ (issue #345, May 1996).

The last coherent words I remember my mother saying to me was when the paramedics were lifting her up to take her too the ambulance; it was: “Well, the last sense to go is the sense of humor.” After that, I heard her say “spoon” to her PT, but
it was just a response to seeing one.

I’m glad to read that you and yours have found some comfort in that great humor.

4 Likes

During our “last call/essential” hospital visit I told Tobin he had a celebrity death pool hit with Eddie Van Halen. His response: “Gee, how ironic.” My kid had a hit the same week with Whitey Ford, who died the same day Tobin did.

12 Likes

Oh no, not Whitey, too!

3 Likes

Damn:

Man wasn’t perfect, but he did demonstrate the value of thoughtful skepticism, versus the knee-jerk conspiracy level junk that tries to call itself skepticism these days.

Damn 2020. You really are trying to wipe out critical thinking.

8 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes
8 Likes

TCM’s year-end tribute is gonna be long this year; I wonder what music they’re going to use?

3 Likes

Van Halen, no?

3 Likes

If your election goes wrong, Ride of the Valkyries.

4 Likes

They usually use something very poignant; I don’t think their music covers that.

3 Likes

Sci-fi/romance/YA/thriller Roxanne Conrad (aka Rachel Caine) has passed:

https://preview.mailerlite.com/x6r7e1

3 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes
13 Likes

What is mourning?

6 Likes