RIP. We'll miss you

Baby don’t hurt me, baby don’t hurt me…

b38

5 Likes

In an odd way Alex Trebek has been, on and off, a big part of my life. I’ve “known” him longer than Regis.

If anyone out there has Buzzr, try to catch “Double Dare.” It’s an oddity. Possibly the most intellectual gameshow ever thought of.

4 Likes

Beautiful tribute. Watch the whole thing.

4 Likes

Touching. The show could have been titled “Alex Trebek Reads Trivia" and it still would have been popular.

4 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes
8 Likes

But the weightlifter-turned-actor was most proud of playing the Green Cross Code Man. The role, promoting road safety in the UK, earned him an MBE.

8 Likes

Truly, an era has now passed.

4 Likes

I suppose under the circumstances, this is obligatory.

5 Likes

RIP.

7 Likes

Sadly not Immortan after all.

7 Likes

Still missing him.

5 Likes

John Lennon was murdered a couple weeks after our house burned down. Actually, it was 300 homes, so not just us. We lost everything except ourselves, our cats and whatever few items mom could pack up while evacuating an infant and a toddler. I was at school.

Anyway, his murder changed everything for my mother. It went from “we lost everything” to her just being grateful that her beloved husband was still alive, everything else was details and logistics.

His death broke her heart a way, but her family was alive. I was seven years old, so my perspective was narrow and self-centered, because that is the way of children who have so little grasp on the entirety of the world. In time, I came to understand how my mother could say that “everything was OK, and was going to be fine” though at the time it felt insensitive. It wasn’t, it was true and correct, it’s just that I was seven.

Now that she is a widow, the anniversary of Lennon’s death is hitting harder for her. My father and John Lennon were the same age, and we listened to so much Beatles music, I could sing along with all the albums even as a little kid.

I think perhaps his death is what lead my parents to decide to have a fourth child, mom was just so grateful to have only lost things. She cried for John, and wept for Yoko, because the thought of losing her own husband was more than she could bear.

I can’t believe it’s been 40 years. These two things are forever deeply intertwined in my mind, I didn’t mean to hijack your post.

11 Likes

Whatever gets you through the night/Is all right. <3

6 Likes
6 Likes

I’m hoping they do a Blue Angels tribute to him or something else really amazing. He was such a, literal, groundbreaker (airbreaker?) in the world.

5 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes