RIP. We'll miss you

3 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

I have a lot of mixed feelings about Barbara Walters. She accomplished a lot during her time in journalism, and she broke a lot of ceilings. On the other hand, she seems like the kind of woman who is allowed to get ahead in the patriarchy. Her interviews were softball and commercial. The View is just
cringe. I think she was savvy about what would play and what would sell, what she could get away with. She feels like a woman from another era to me, someone who had to make some strategic compromises in order to have the career she did, someone who understood mass market tastes.

7 Likes

Her dad, Lou Walters, owned the Latin Quarter nightclub in NYC, among other things; she was born to privilege.

4 Likes

This one makes me sad. We watched this in our home.

4 Likes
2 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

cue the original Twilight Zone music someone, willya?

I’m still watching “Chico and the Man” and this lady has been playing the love interest of the latter. I’ve seen her in other works, and she was a marvy character actress.

Her first appearance. Her being Ed’s love interest is confirmed 10 episodes later.

OMG, I love her ever more now! From the above:
On September 9, 2018, a reporter from TMZ approached Cook to ask her opinion about an actor who grabbed a Trump 2020 sign from someone who had held it up in the audience during a performance of the musical Frozen . She replied “Where’s John Wilkes Booth when you need him?” Someone off camera questioned “So we need to kill President Trump?”, to which she replied “Why not?”[6] Cook’s comment received widespread attention and criticism.[7][8]

The Hollywood Report has a good obit on her.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Today is four years since my father died. I miss him in a way, but I also continue to feel a small amount of peace that I don’t have to prepare myself for incoming criticism from him. It was exhausting to live that way, which is why I moved far away years ago. It all leaves me feeling weird because it’s not particularly kind to feel that way about a late parent. My mother is still mourning, and probably will for the rest of her days. I don’t feel bad about no longer mourning, but I do feel somewhat disloyal, I think that’s the right word. And, I’m having a terrible time getting any work done.

9 Likes

I dunno if this will help

Parents are human, and we don’t get the choice of being their children. Sharing genetic material with the person/s who raise one is no guarantee of having a great relationship with them.

It’s okay for you to feel the way you do. :heart:

5 Likes

She is life goals!!!

2 Likes

Nothing makes me feel older than the musicians who formed my youth dying off. Crosby had a troubled life, but his music, both on his own and as a group member, remains iconic.

6 Likes

If it’s any help, Ringo and Paul are still alives. Also Micky Dolenz. And aren;t SN&Y all still alive?

Unless I’m overestimating your age. Plus, 81 is damned old for a rock musician, espeically one who abused his body the way he did. And remember those who didn’t make it even half as long as he did.

4 Likes

Not all that old, at least from inside my own skin. I am 65. And yes, all of those people are still alive, but their bands are long gone. I was never much of a Beatles fan, and the Monkees were TV sitcom stars, not real musicians. And don’t get me started on the solo Neil Young! :slight_smile: But CSN/Y? Late 60’s/early 70’s, those were the anthems of my teen years-- Teach Your Children, DĂ©jĂ  Vu, Woodstock, Our House, Almost Cut My Hair, Down by the River, Love the One You’re With
 and later the ultimate sailing song, Southern Cross. Those are all still in my playlists, all these decades later.

4 Likes

Have you never heard any of the songs that Michael Nesmith wrote, or ever seen him play guitar? Peter Tork was a player at coffee houses in Greenwich Village; but I will admit that Micky Dolenz and Davy Jones were more actors than musicians (note: one needn’t play an instrument all the time to be a musician). In fact, if you look up the history of Laurel Canyon, there’s photos of Micky & David Crosby together at Cass Elliott’s house. Long explanation short: The Monkees were culturally relevant, just as not as much so as the Beatles and CSN & sometimes Y.

I personally thought CSN were over-rated, but that’s just my tastes, as you have yours. I do know that Crosby played a large part in Joni Mitchell’s early career, producing her 1st album (I think, was it her first?).

Addendum: Found the photo.

3 Likes

This one got me through some rough times

6 Likes

I watched a couple of docos about Laurel Canyon & the folks that lived there, and the story goes they were just driving around and saw that place, and sat down and had the photo taken
but in the wrong order vs. the order of their surnames, lol. It was too good to change, though.

2 Likes