RIP. We'll miss you

No words

16 Likes

13 Likes

:open_mouth: :sob:

I just double-checked which of her works had been turned into TV or film adaptations last night.

7 Likes

Not many. She didn’t get along with Hollywood.

But I think she said she liked the PBS version of The Lathe of Heaven.

6 Likes

I think that’s the one to track down for me.

I love love love the Earthsea trilogy (first thing I ever read by her), but that whitewashed Geb in the series, which is unforgivable no matter how good the actor was.

7 Likes

Damn it! Not good news to wake up to.

3 Likes

i never saw that one, but i kept holding out hope that her Earthsea would get a good cinematic treatment, or even a miniseries. of course, i’ve been holding that same hope out for Zelazney’s Amber series for decades, too. sigh.

6 Likes

Mark E. Smith, aged 60, lead singer and lyricist of the band The Fall:

7 Likes

Tubby hugs for everyone:

9 Likes

Ski Movie Legend Warren Miller has died at 93:

4 Likes

This sounds really suspicious. What happened there?

1 Like

Apparently they’re saying it isn’t suspicious. I wonder if that’s code for ‘accidental overdose’?

3 Likes

i assumed heart attack, which is also in the “not suspicious” category. i hope it’s nothing else!

4 Likes

They also said that about Mitch Hedberg, but later revised the cause of death from heart attack to accidental overdose.

I also hope there was nothing else going on.

3 Likes

Maybe HBO will adapt that next after GoT is gone.

4 Likes

i think it would work well as a one-season thing, maybe two seasons, but no more than that. not sure HBO would be up for it, but maybe netflix or syfy? anyway, it has so much potential and could easily be done, effects-wise, now. i’m continually surprised nobody has done it.

3 Likes

SyFy would be a good fit for it, but I doubt they would do it (doesn’t have enough wrestling). Netflix maybe, but it would take some work.

Amazon perhaps?

it seems like Netflix is willing to take more chances with material, though – like backing Duncan Jones’s new “Mute” movie (coming next month). Not sure Amazon is up for experimenting yet. One plus is that since it has the potential for such a large cast, it would compare to Game of Thrones that way. It would be exciting to do, although with all the special effects and locations needed, it would be expensive.

4 Likes

Yep it would be. It MIGHT be possible to do a lot of the “locations” as green screen CGI. But that might drive up the cost even more than going to a physical location.

yeah, for sure. but i think it would also be worth the expense to do location shots, a la Thrones. there would be enough expense just with the magic and trumping around.

1 Like