Sacrificing Workers In The Name Of Money

A thread, because Capitalism is just feudalism with more steps.

5 Likes

The nuMedia layoff boogie continues:

Edit: this is the latest in a series of industry-wide cuts because qUaRtErLy pRoFiT mEtRiCs

7 Likes

Maybe it’s feudalism with a more complex division of labor!

9 Likes

Stieg Larsson buried an excellent critique of this in the third Millennium Trilogy book. It boiled down to “letting go of profit generators leads to a death spiral”.

It makes far more sense to let go of management in such circumstances.

12 Likes

But the ideal neoliberal economist can’t distinguish creating wealth, from extracting resources, from controlling whether other people can create wealth and taking a cut.

I suspect management can be worse at distinguishing.

7 Likes

Or, as Ray Charles put it, “…I pawned my clothes just to pay my rent.”

7 Likes

Clothes used to be good. Long lasting. Heavy enough for the cold. Now they have us saving with the pawn shop and our guns while the AC blazes and the tap breathes methane.

4 Likes

2 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

animation warning for the link

2 Likes

Don’t read the comments.

5 Likes

Late to the party, but:

TL;DW: EA, along with other video game publishers are making more money than ever before, but, in spite of this aren’t meeting “shareholder expectations”. To make up the difference, they are laying off 350 workers. The video game industry is broken in so many ways (and this is just on the publisher side… on “The People Playing Games are Fucked Up” side, we have this as an aside).

8 Likes
5 Likes

Static, full-screen ads for Verizon, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, and the transit system itself appear at the start of transactions to purchase or reload a transit pass. Commuters or tourists must gaze at the ad for up to six seconds before continuing their transactions, according to a Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority spokesperson. Those seconds can be quite valuable. On Sunday, it took Philadelphia resident Katie Bohri so long to pay for her fare that she missed her train.

6 Likes

Lets see 6 seconds times 5 people ahead of you in line gives you 30 seconds lost each. And that’s before you add in the extra people that get stuck in the corridors slowing you down on the way to the train and the longer walking route needed to get past the longer queue for the ticket machine, but the subway gets 2 cents extra for every hundred commuter so all’s good.

8 Likes

There’re also the accessibility and safety issues, and the fact that photosensitive people aren’t allowed to drive and may have to use the subway and may no longer be able to use the subway.

I wish the parts of the Ada requiring accessibility were enforced, instead of just the parts requiring strobe lights in certain circumstances, and otherwise pitting different disabled people against each other.

4 Likes

To paraphrase Graham Chapman as the doler-outer of abuse in “The Argument Clinic”, he makes me want to PUKE!

4 Likes

coming soon…

6 Likes