Server Maintenance 2018-03-14 0400 UTC

I’m going to be taking the site offline for a short period starting Tuesday 2018-03-13 at 2300 CDT (2018-03-14 0400 UTC).

If anything goes wrong, I’ll update on twitter @ElsewhereCafe and you can reach me at bbs.elsewhere.cafe@gmail.com while the site is down.

6 Likes

I’ll be doing the following:

• Resizing the DO droplet.
    • DigitalOcean changed their pricing recently, and I will be able to get the same or better specs (CPU/RAM/SSD) for half the price.
  • Performing OS upgrades
  • Upgrading Discourse to the latest version (2.0.0beta4, we’re on 2.0.0beta1)

I expect the entire process to take less than 30 minutes. I’ll make a backup before proceeding just in case.

5 Likes

Re: the Discourse betas… I’m still getting the “cannot load app” message often (~50% of the time.) Reloading brings it up. Using Win 7 on Waterfox current version.

2 Likes

Me too, on Win 10 and Firefox 58.0.2, 64 bit. But not on my iPad.

2 Likes

Good catch. I wrote the message, and then the title. Time is hard.

4 Likes

I think I’ve fixed it now.

There exists value in a discourse plugin that allows one to wrap a UTC date in some sort of markup and it appear as a local date for users, much how timestamps on posts currently work.

3 Likes

https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-chronos-globe-with-meridians-timer-clock/69281

I will look into installing this tonight.

3 Likes

All done. We’re running the latest version of Discourse, OS updates applied, and we now have 50% more disk space for $5 less per month.

This doesn’t appear to have ever been released. Bummer.

8 Likes

Thank you for the maintenance/upgrade!

6 Likes

For some strange reason, DO makes it less obvious how many vCPUs you currently have allocated, so I was able to go from $20 to $15, rather than $10. Still a savings, though.

4 Likes

The system seems more responsive now. Better code, or a resource increase?

1 Like

Probably code related. The only thing that changed resource wise was additional SSD space.

2 Likes