Site reverts to default dark theme at login

Title says it all. I keep setting my preference to “light”, but it doesn’t stick. Can you help?

3 Likes

I can’t quite reproduce the problem after logging out and logging back in. I assume you’ve changed to the ‘light’ theme in your preferences under the gear menu and then clicked save and are still having the issue?

1 Like

That’s correct. It’s happened twice now.

edit: I logged out and back in without leaving the site and it stayed light, but when I closed Firefox and restarted, the dark theme returned.

1 Like

Frustrating! Presumably the theme reverts to the default theme in preferences as well.

Other things to try:

Quit browser entirely and restart browser.
Reboot :expressionless:

Possibly a caching issue at some level. Which browser are you using? Any plugins installed?

Disclaimer: I’m not a front-end person, but I can almost play one on TV.

3 Likes

I just edited my earlier post, but you may have missed it. I’m using the latest Firefox and NoScript if that makes a difference, but I’ve allowed happymutants.

3 Likes

Ah, missed the edit indeed. Noscript certainly throws a wrench in the works, but once happymutants.space is permitted I’m still unable to reproduce the issue with the latest FF+Noscript on Win7. And since I don’t have permissions to dig into the logs quiet yet: what OS and version are you running when experiencing this?

1 Like

Windows 10 Home, auto updated. Don’t worry too much about it, it’s not all that burdensome. Thanks for looking into it.

3 Likes

The preference is stored in a persistent cookie. Are you clearing cookies on browser close?

1 Like

@LockeCJ may be correct. The same thing (well, opposite) happens to me on the other site. So it’s not just a thing here. It’s a browser / discourse thing.

1 Like

Yes. Is there a reason this is different from other preferences?

1 Like

That’s how Discourse implements it as far as I know. I believe I saw something about being able to set this preference per device, so that may be the reasoning.

I’m not opposed to making the light theme the default if there’s enough interest.

1 Like

I’d prefer tweaks to the dark myself. The likes counter and heart button are hard to see in sunlight; making them a lighter shade of gray may helpful

1 Like

I tried allowing permanent cookies for this site in Firefox options, and it didn’t work, then it did. So my computer has healed itself. Or something. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help.

4 Likes