So are they making it or what

I was thinking today about the same time as they tv adaption of the expanse came out, there was an anouncement for a mini series based on spin. No word since 2015. Got any other examples of still birth programes/films?

3 Likes

Metal Gear Solid, the film.

3 Likes

“Development Hell” I think they call it. I’ve seen a number of announcements of adaptations of Asimov’s Foundation books, but so far, nothing. I think that’s how Hollywood works. Many more “concepts” are started than finished.

3 Likes

It’s supposedly coming out this month.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

5 Likes

I read the topic and immediately had a inkling of a show I’d been looking for but had gone to production hell.

But…I couldn’t remember what it was.

Goliath seemed to be the name, but the Googles didn’t give me anything.

THEN

I thought about it and seemed to think it had some sort of Steam Punk angle…

SO…

Off to BrassGoggles.co.uk

One log in later and ever hopeful I clicked on “New Replies to your Posts” and

there it was

Topic: “War of the Worlds: Goliath” Trailer is Up! (08/19/09 Post)

And … it got made… and was on Netflix at somepoint. (Oh Netflix how your algorithm fails again)

3 Likes

Hollywood can’t currently do that kind of story. It’s a beautiful, epic, thought-provoking story, but most of it takes place in characters’ minds, dialogue, and narration. Hollywood would just cut all of that and replace it with random explosions, car chases, and product placements.

5 Likes

No one has done it yet. That is all. Comic book movies were all bad to uneven movies until the MCU brought CGI together with basic storytelling craft to stop sucking so badly.

This is the problem with the attempts at screening Terry Pratchett’s work. It’s possible, I think, but the only people who’ve tried it have sucked. Badly. Hogfather was the best, but still didn’t carry it off because no one in cinema has properly done second and third thoughts as a regular thing rather than building the whole plot around it. (Fight Club) And the whole Multiple Personality D. thing has played out due to not really existing in the world to any meaningful degree.

Good Omens can work because it doesn’t rely in internal life to make its points. It will be diminished without the printer’s comments in the Bugger All Thyse For A Lark edition of the prophecies, or bible, or whatever it was. Have to re-read.

4 Likes

I can see_Foundation_ as a political thriller show, or even handled as a psychological anime. Rather than focusing on Seldon, centre it on R Daneel Olivaw. How Olivaw maneuvered into power is much more interesting to watch than Seldon.

4 Likes

That would be cool. It really is a political drama.

One requirement I’d have is to completely ignore the three books by Greg Benford, David Brin, and Greg Bear.

2 Likes

The Wolf Among Us 2
C’mon already! That game gave me FEELS!
And it ended on a teaser!!

GIVE ME MORE BIGBY!

4 Likes